Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Report: Minnesota Twins promote Miguel Sano

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KernelsGuy1 View Post

Don't think so. Kernels only 1.5 up with 7 to play.

Either way, there's only a week left in the first half. Why not just promote Buxton after the completion of the half at the All-Star break? What's the difference? It's marginal, in my opinion — would be a game, maybe two games earlier, but then 5 days off before the second half.
    Top two teams qualify for the playoffs - they are 4 games up over the 3rd place team.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The Double A boxscore got a whole hell of a lot more interesting.

I'm Guessing D.Ortiz, D. Santana, and J. Pinto are staying in New Britain as well. That's going to make one powerful Latino Lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Sure, Miguel Sano pounded a few hits against single-A pitching. I'll give him that.

Now let's get real, the kid doesn't have the plate discipline and killer instinct to make a dent against AA pitchers. He's gonna be facing guys that can spin a curve over the outside corner, or just off it. He's gonna see real changeups, ones with the same arm action as a good fastball.

Can he hit the good stuff? At 20 years old? I have my doubts.

Get your hacks in, Miguel, and study hard at third base. We'll see you in a Twins uniform in a couple years.
    nope. the fsl is the toughest hitting league around and suppresses offensive numbers significantly. although sano's power is rare enough that it could overcome the league, he'll still be more likely to put up arcade numbers in new Britain - case in point would be arcia from last year.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    why did they leave Kennys Vargas in FtM ? The NB 1B are nothing special.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    This is satire, right?
    Yeah, you got me. Maybe Sano can tape my rant to his locker.

Shhhh... ;-)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Very good, exciting news. Can't wait to see him them in the majors.
    Lighten up Francis....

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well I can at least say I got to see Sano's last game in FSL and it was a monster of a game for him. He made a spectacular defensive play to end the 8th and the Bradenton rally, where he cut off the throw to the plate from the CFer (who made a horrible throw) but Sano had enough mind to get the guy at second. Right afterwards, he led off the 9th with a homerun to RCF that went at least 400 if not 430 feet, it cleared the Boys and Girls parking lot behind McKenie Field in Bradenton. After the game, he signed for almost a half hour, gave away his bat to a fan and signed it for her. He was extremely happy after the game, so I'm sure someone had told him already that he got the call up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
    Well I can at least say I got to see Sano's last game in FSL and it was a monster of a game for him. He made a spectacular defensive play to end the 8th and the Bradenton rally, where he cut off the throw to the plate from the CFer (who made a horrible throw) but Sano had enough mind to get the guy at second. Right afterwards, he led off the 9th with a homerun to RCF that went at least 400 if not 430 feet, it cleared the Boys and Girls parking lot behind McKenie Field in Bradenton. After the game, he signed for almost a half hour, gave away his bat to a fan and signed it for her. He was extremely happy after the game, so I'm sure someone had told him already that he got the call up.
    I am sure he did get the news. Happy is an understatement. My wife was the one who got the bat and on the way home, we found out he got promoted. She was actually a little sad because she was looking forward to seeing him play at the allstar game next weekend. Definitely her favorite baseball moment though. As far as Sano's game yesterday, it was phenomenal. He seemed irritated by his first at bat and took it out on Marauders pitching. That second home run echoed in my seat behind the 3b dugout. Never heard one do that before. His play to cut off the throw and get the runner at 2nd was one of the best I've seen in FSL. Reminded me a little of Jeter's famous cutoff/toss to Posada although not at that level. He needed this callup. I don't think the FSL is any challenge to him. If he stayed, it would've hurt him more than helped.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    He just did ridiculously unprecedented things in a true pitcher's league. In a league which usually is fortunate to have ONE guy OPS over .900 and one or two guys with a SLG over .500, Sano leaves to go to AA with a .1079 OPS line and a .655 SLG---yep, ridiculous numbers.
    Ya, and there's actually been a lot of guys who improve their numbers when moving up to New Britain from the FSL, too (Arcia did so last year). I'm interested to see if Sano can match Stanton's 2010 #'s at AA in what will be roughly the same amount of time.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    why did they leave Kennys Vargas in FtM ? The NB 1B are nothing special.
    Ft Myers still needs to field a team until other promotions happen. I think he will be up in a week or two.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
    Sano struck out in 25% of his PA's but had a .397 babip to keep his batting average stellar. I would not be shocked to see his strikeouts rise a bit and his babip fall to a more reasonable level causing his overall numbers to drop quite a bit. On the other hand his power will still be there and subsequently he'll draw plenty of walks. I'll guess a .290/.370/.510 line for an OPS of .880 for the remainder of his season in AA.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Sano struck out in 25% of his PA's but had a .397 babip to keep his batting average stellar. I would not be shocked to see his strikeouts rise a bit and his babip fall to a more reasonable level causing his overall numbers to drop quite a bit. On the other hand his power will still be there and subsequently he'll draw plenty of walks. I'll guess a .290/.370/.510 line for an OPS of .880 for the remainder of his season in AA.
    I think you're right about that. Except, I think the line will be a bit different. I'll go .275/.340/540. Same OPS, just less OBP and more power.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12