Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 3rd row suv

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries

3rd row suv

Looking at getting one of these. Anyone have any experience with them? My favorites are the yukon and enclave.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Looking at getting one of these. Anyone have any experience with them? My favorites are the yukon and enclave.
    Here you go.

2013-subaru-brz-sports-car-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-432774-s-429x262.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nobody here has ever had a 3rd row SUV? Damn.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I have had two 3rd row mini-vans. Given wheel bases, they can be wider (for drywall) than most SUVs. They get better gas mileage, and they drive easier. Why SUV, and not minivan?

It really comes down to use.....most of my friends have realized they don't use the big, giant, SUV as much as they thought, and are switching to something more sized like the Ford Escape.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,521 Times in 795 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I have had two 3rd row mini-vans. Given wheel bases, they can be wider (for drywall) than most SUVs. They get better gas mileage, and they drive easier. Why SUV, and not minivan?
    Because it's a minivan?

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Because it's a minivan?
    Ya, people are silly about that.....if it was called a "crossover", men would not be so afraid of them.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Nobody here has ever had a 3rd row SUV? Damn.
    I travel a lot for work and somehow conistently get upgraded to Yukon's, so I've driven them a lot.
    Cons,
    you need a telescope powered rear view mirror to see out the back

if a small car is in your blind spot, forget shoulder checking, it will be below your sightline (not that it will matter, you will crush them)

you need a stepladder to get in them.

Fuel

Fuel

Fuel

good luck parking the damn thing in a parking stall anywhere but Costco (which appear to be built for these vehicles in mind)

Parallel park?.....ha ha ha ha!!!

If you buy a black one the cops will assume you're a drug dealer

Pros

They do drive nice, quiet inside and enough torque that the engine is never pushed

You can pull a small home with one, if you're the outdoorsy type.

You can transport an entire Little League baseball team plus equipment in one.

I hear the Volvo XC90 is good.

Blog Entries
    I want an SUV because I would use it for what it is made for; pulling trailers, going ice fishing, pulling boats, going camping, taking it to secluded fishing spots only accessible by dirt roads/trails, strapping a canoe/kayak on the top. I know minivans have come a long way, but I just trust an SUV in winter much more. The biggest problems for me are the gas mileage and limited trunk space. I figured out for every drop in gas mileage it will cost me about 11 dollars a month. Considering a minivan will only get in the low 20's anyway, the difference is going to be less than 100 dollars a month for me. However, we might actually go do more stuff since it would be a more comfortable ride so it might end up being that 100 dollars a month more in gas. I can live with that.

Senior Member MVP
    Pulling stuff? I'd probably not do a minivan then. If you really expect to go offroad, and pull a lot of stuff, I agree, and SUV is a better choice.

And yes, I find that we did more stuff earlier in our lives because we had the right vehicle.

Is the Ford Escape powerful enough, and have enough heigth to go offroad? Like I said, most of my friends have switched to that size, but they have smaller boats.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Pulling stuff? I'd probably not do a minivan then. If you really expect to go offroad, and pull a lot of stuff, I agree, and SUV is a better choice.

And yes, I find that we did more stuff earlier in our lives because we had the right vehicle.

Is the Ford Escape powerful enough, and have enough heigth to go offroad? Like I said, most of my friends have switched to that size, but they have smaller boats.
    I would love to buy a smaller SUV. I really like Jeep and their inline V6.... however we have our 3 child on the way. This is why we've been looking for the past couple of months what we want to buy. We have an Impala right now and it just wont be big enough. We might be able to skate by for a little while, but come winter when coats and extras are required it will be far too cramped.

I'm a pretty outdoorsy guy, and believe I'd take advantage of getting a mid/large SUV. I'm going to have to test drive a bunch of them to figure out what I like, was just looking for some first-hand experience.