Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: MLB Draft - Day 3 Rapid Fire

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    At 1.5m the only way to make that work is to forfeit next year 1st round pick or to have picked McGuire over Stewart.
    Interesting concept to forfeit next year's first round draft pick. If the brass figures that a player would be a upper first round pick that they can get for 1.5 million they would be saving some money. If they claw their way to .500, their first round pick would be in the middle of the first round. It could be a good way for a team to get a better player for their draft pick.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good rest of the draft so far. A lot of college pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Only 4 HS players taken by the Twins in 26 rounds so far. Can't say I'm not a little disappointed. I would have liked to see them take a few more long shots at this point considering how many of these guys at this point the Twins will actually put in a uniform.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Looks like the Red Sox took a shot at Boldt in round 15.

Boldt drafted #653 - Round 22

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chad Christensen is another steal.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yay Chad Christensen! Go Big Red!

Definitely some nice long-shot HS kids going here

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Two tweets.

Darren wolfson:
    This might be a waste of time because it's so obvious: a #MNTwins official confirms there's a zero percent chance to sign Logan shore.

Conor Glassey:
    #Twins 30th-round #mlbdraft puck Tanner Vavra is blind in one eye. Didn't stop him from raking in northwoods league last summer.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Shoot, Christmas is almost over and I just opened all my present... now I'm a little depressed. Ho hum.
    Now to get ready for Hanukkah on July 2nd! International signing deadline!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I've seen 2 of the guys drafted today in person:
    Chad Christensen is a very good pick in my uninformed opinion. He was very elite for a guy from the state of Iowa. Iowa HS players are at even more of a disadvantage than other northern states as I believe we are the only state that plays baseball in the summer rather than spring. Has a younger brother worth keeping an eye on, I haven't seen him myself but some friends say he's an even better player.

Brandon Peterson wasn't that impressive when I saw him in CC. He threw hard but I don't remember the secondary stuff being particularly noteworthy. Limited the damage but he gave up some hard hits as well. His teammate Cody Beam was the significantly more impressive pitcher.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 758 Times in 472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Interesting concept to forfeit next year's first round draft pick. If the brass figures that a player would be a upper first round pick that they can get for 1.5 million they would be saving some money. If they claw their way to .500, their first round pick would be in the middle of the first round. It could be a good way for a team to get a better player for their draft pick.
    It might make sense if next year's draft was going to be weaker, but from what I've heard, next year's is supposed to be a pretty strong draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Actually to come up with 1.5m the Twins would have to at minimum give up their 1st and 2nd picks next year and possibly as much as their next 2 1st rd picks.

It will be interesting to see if the Red Sox just say screw it and try to sign Boldt. They could let him play in a summer league and gain a further eval on him. The loss of their 1st rd pick would be a late first rd'er while the Twins are probably going to be in the top 10.

Other than Denney I don't know if they were taking any hard to sign guys or guys that will be way underslot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now just need to get these guys signed and in E-Town

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Other than Denney I don't know if they were taking any hard to sign guys or guys that will be way underslot.
    The money they might save on Ball, they'll have to give to Denney and then some. Even if they can get their seniors to sign for a collective 70K, they still can only bank around half a mill. If they're willing to pay the tax and can skim from the other guys, they could find a way to have an extra million bucks. And that might be enough to buy Boldt or Sheffield out of their commitment. It's at least enough that other prep guys will listen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Looking further at the Red Sox draft they can only come up with a max of 1M imo w/o losing a pick.

Assume that the Denney overslot wipes out any savings from their 1st and 2nd rd picks (Ball and Stankiwiecz) although it's possible that they still need more money to sign him. I think the combo of their 1st/2nd/3rd picks still signs for overslot combined.

5% of 6.8M bonus pool is about 350K.
    rds 7-10 - 600K bonus pool for college seniors - 500K savings
    rd 6 is an unknown since it's a unranked (by BA) HS player - 250K slot

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want to take Boldt like the Red Sox did, and want to sign college seniors at $50K or whatever to make it happen, why not
    pick Boldt in the 7th round in place of one of those college seniors? I'm not sure I get the difference?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    If you want to take Boldt like the Red Sox did, and want to sign college seniors at $50K or whatever to make it happen, why not
    pick Boldt in the 7th round in place of one of those college seniors? I'm not sure I get the difference?
    Because the seniors will sign. If Boldt doesn't sign, they don't lose any money.

It's the same reason the Royals took Dozier and Manaea where they did. They'd lose twice the money taking Manaea first and failing to sign him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Actually it's because there is a 100K maximum for rd 11 players that doesn't count towards the bonus pool but there is no benefit for going under the 100K number. So the Red Sox probably found 500+ K that can be spent on boldt or Sheffield.

That's the second point. If negotiations fall apart for Boldt then Sheffield is a backup plan.

I expect that this will not be possible the next time the CBA is renegotiated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12