Thread: Article: MLB Draft - Day 3 Rapid Fire

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: MLB Draft - Day 3 Rapid Fire

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries

Official Draft Day 3 Thread

There are a few interesting names still on the board, but pretty much unsignable at this point. It's mostly org filler, but it would be nice to see them grab a tough sign and try to make it work...

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Something to keep in mind as the draft progresses: The Twins currently only have five 2B, 3B, SS-type players in EST. They have eight OFs and five catchers (not counting yesterdays). I would expect a few extra infield bodies to be taken.

Pitching-wise they could already fill out both staffs, but they'll obviously continue to add arms as well.

It should be an interesting day draft-wise, not to mention both Ryan Eades and Aaron Slegers are on the mound in their regional games today.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Yeah I'm sure here wll be a few gambles. Not signing these guys won't count against the draft pool. I'm sure there are some HS kids available who appear to be tough signs but in fact never intended to go to college.

No surprise, I see last year only three HS players were selected in the 10th round. That number jumped to 12 in round 11. Similarly only four HS players were taken this year in the 10th round. I'd assume more gambles on HS players will start right away today.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-08-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    it's not just about name tough to sign players. There are a lot of guys that have always signed in the 100-250K range. I could easily see the Twins going after 1-2 of these guys.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Is Boldt worth a shot at this point? Could the Twins make it work?

I'd love to see the Twins spend a pick on Boldt, but I'm guessing teams all know that unless he went quite early, he's going to Nebraska to play baseball. Otherwise he would have been picked a long time ago. Top 50 draft prospect and he gets passed on 300+ times? If ANY team were going to get him, it would be the Twins, so maybe there is a small shot.

Blog Entries
    Boldt's rumored price is $1.5m. I don't see any way they make it happen...

Text I got about Boldt, "wants a bunch of money and the medical is risky, doesn't add up to a sign." At this point, though, the picks aren't tied to any specific amount of money, so they could draft him, offer him as much as they can and see him again three years from now. That would also prevent someone else from getting him, if the Twins have interest in him. We will see some high-demand guys come off the board early today.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Boldt's rumored price is $1.5m. I don't see any way they make it happen...
    At 1.5m the only way to make that work is to forfeit next year 1st round pick or to have picked McGuire over Stewart.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    What time does today start?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Something to keep in mind as the draft progresses: The Twins currently only have five 2B, 3B, SS-type players in EST. They have eight OFs and five catchers (not counting yesterdays). I would expect a few extra infield bodies to be taken.

Pitching-wise they could already fill out both staffs, but they'll obviously continue to add arms as well.

It should be an interesting day draft-wise, not to mention both Ryan Eades and Aaron Slegers are on the mound in their regional games today.
    This EST list: is this AFTER players have been assigned to the ETon and GCL rosters?

Isn't it true that the Twins are xcited about the talent level internationally this year? They have a big budget. Hopefully, they'll find a SS!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Stewart will probably eat up more of the pool than a few other 1st rounders but the Twins have taken a lot of college guys. They might have some money to offer today.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    This EST list: is this AFTER players have been assigned to the ETon and GCL rosters?

Isn't it true that the Twins are xcited about the talent level internationally this year? They have a big budget. Hopefully, they'll find a SS!
    IMHO that is the remaining black hole in the organization. Believe they will take a SS with some pop with a future 1st pick. Until then go with International prospects.

Hope LSU and Indiana both win their Super Regionals this weekend so I can watch Ryan Eades and Aaron Slegers both pitch in Omaha in the College World Series (and DeMuth at 3rd). It's been a while since hte B1G Ten had a team in the CWS. I was hoping it would be Nebraska but I'll take a team with a couple high Twins draft picks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    What time does today start?
    Noon.

Quote Originally Posted by gerg311 View Post
    Hope LSU and Indiana both win their Super Regionals this weekend so I can watch Ryan Eades and Aaron Slegers both pitch in Omaha in the College World Series (and DeMuth at 3rd). It's been a while since hte B1G Ten had a team in the CWS. I was hoping it would be Nebraska but I'll take a team with a couple high Twins draft picks.

If Eades is LSU's #2 and Slegers IU's #1 you should be able to see all 3 today on espn or espn2 I believe.

Blog Entries
    The EST list is w/o the draft picks. But really the only addition to the position player is the IU 3B.

International signings from this class aren't eligible to play until next season. The only one who will play in the States this year from the 2012 class is Minier (3B for GCL... although he might be given a shot at SS, due to the numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by boney View Post
    If Eades is LSU's #2 and Slegers IU's #1 you should be able to see all 3 today on espn or espn2 I believe.
    Thats what I was thinking but Indiana has someone else pitching in game one against Florida State for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gerg311 View Post
    Thats what I was thinking but Indiana has someone else pitching in game one against Florida State for some reason.

Bummer, maybe tomorrow

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    SS Nelson Molina goes 11th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast