Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Article: Pitcher And Catchers Report On Day 2

Was doing some research on another project. From the 2009 draft (Kyle Gibson), two draftees (Dozier and Herrmann) have made the majors. Only 7 of he 50 players the Twins drafted are still playing minor league ball.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    In round 10, I think he's clearly a reliever.
    Baxendale went in the 10th last year. But without a 3rd pitch, yes he's almost certainly a reliever.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerickasdad34 View Post
    So im guessing Red Wings Ryan Boldt hasnt got drafted yet because of his injury and the fact that after the first couple rounds, he has a zero signability?
    No one wants to spend the money or waste the pick on someone who's asking for 1st round cash without playing at all this season. Someone will pick him late, they'll watch him play summer ball, and see if they can find cash if his play is off the charts. But at this point there's a 98% chance he's Nebraska bound.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    None of the State of Minnesota High School players were drafted. Apparently, they all believe that they can improve "their slot" significantly.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would have been nice if the Twins had grabbed one or two more higher ceiling prep kids... would have thought they had the bonus money to snag someone.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    It would have been nice if the Twins had grabbed one or two more higher ceiling prep kids... would have thought they had the bonus money to snag someone.
    how would you define gonsalves and navaretto? I think they did a pretty good job - there is some meh here but even the seniors are semi-intriguing (garver/Demuth) so there's not a lot of guys that'll be relegated as org filler out of the chute. btw, I don't think it's unreasonable that we take a guy with major upside in round 11 - boldt would fit perfectly. if we have savings after the first ten rounds, this is where teams look to apply it.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The original article has been going through updates throughout the day, so you should read that for additional information.

Just a few things that were brought up in the forum that should be touched on:

The Twins knew that Jon Denney had worked a deal with the Red Sox to sign for a bonus in the 800K range. They knew they didn't have that type of money to spend on him.

There is no interest in Ryan Boldt. They have a figure and they aren't going to be able to give it to him. It will be interesting to see if he goes to Nebraska, or JCs it somewhere and re-enters the draft next year.

Jan Hernandez was one Puerto Rican the Twins showed interest in, but he would have been moved to 3B immediately. There were five Puerto Ricans on their board with 10th round value (or higher). Only one is gone. Infielders Nelson Molina and Edwin Diaz remain, as well as catchers Rene Melendez and Xavier Fernandez. I really thought Melendez would be a guy the Twins took... but after taking three catchers so far, it's less likely.

The Twins have a better 1-2 QB punch (Mauer/Stewart) than the Vikings (Ponder/Cassel).

The Twins have a power forward (Slegers) the Wolves could have used last year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    The original article has been going through updates throughout the day, so you should read that for additional information.

Just a few things that were brought up in the forum that should be touched on:

The Twins knew that Jon Denney had worked a deal with the Red Sox to sign for a bonus in the 800K range. They knew they didn't have that type of money to spend on him.

There is no interest in Ryan Boldt. They have a figure and they aren't going to be able to give it to him. It will be interesting to see if he goes to Nebraska, or JCs it somewhere and re-enters the draft next year.

Jan Hernandez was one Puerto Rican the Twins showed interest in, but he would have been moved to 3B immediately. There were five Puerto Ricans on their board with 10th round value (or higher). Only one is gone. Infielders Nelson Molina and Edwin Diaz remain, as well as catchers Rene Melendez and Xavier Fernandez. I really thought Melendez would be a guy the Twins took... but after taking three catchers so far, it's less likely.

The Twins have a better 1-2 QB punch (Mauer/Stewart) than the Vikings (Ponder/Cassel).

The Twins have a power forward (Slegers) the Wolves could have used last year.
    I am suprised by the lack of Puerto Ricans this year. Rosario & Berrios and a few others tell me the twins had a good bead on the island...But I read the scout who signed those two left the Twins, wonder if this had anything to do with them not drafting anyone from PR.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    6 pitchers and 3 catchers? how long does rotten Ronnie plan on managing the Twins?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I am suprised by the lack of Puerto Ricans this year. Rosario & Berrios and a few others tell me the twins had a good bead on the island...But I read the scout who signed those two left the Twins, wonder if this had anything to do with them not drafting anyone from PR.
    It was a very down year. Hector Otero was a very successful scout and when you unearth guys, agencies take note. They're looking for talent too.

I'm sure the Twins were disappointed that Otero left, but his replacement, Freddie Thon, is a guy the Twins have high hopes for - eye for talent, tireless worker, etc. I think we'll see Thon get a guy or two tomorrow.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    how would you define gonsalves and navaretto? I think they did a pretty good job - there is some meh here but even the seniors are semi-intriguing (garver/Demuth) so there's not a lot of guys that'll be relegated as org filler out of the chute. btw, I don't think it's unreasonable that we take a guy with major upside in round 11 - boldt would fit perfectly. if we have savings after the first ten rounds, this is where teams look to apply it.
    I liked those picks... would have liked one or two more prep kids... That said, if they do something like that in the 11th, I won't complain. I was hoping more for the Cerrano type, but truth be told, I doubt he signs... especially now when it's 100k + whatever extra slot/bonus money they can pony up.

Blog Entries
    I expect the Twins to play it relatively straight tomorrow, especially for the next 6-8 rounds. They might slip a higher-upside/harder-sign guy in there... but for the most part tomorrow will be about organizational depth. The most they spent on a non-top 10 guy last year was $190,000 and that was with a bigger pool.

Judging by what I've heard, Garver is going to to be the only one significantly higher or lower than slot, so we're talking about an extra $75,000 or so for tomorrow.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    In summary for me so far: LOVE Stewart. Like Eades. Intrigued by Gonsalves. The rest, "meh." Added 2 pitchers who will impact our rotation in the future for sure. That's good.
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    T

Besides Hernandez the only one of those guys I've heard of is Shortstop Edwin Diaz... which isn't a surprise this low in the draft. To bad about no high bonus signings in the 11th. I would of love to see them take A.J. Puk.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    :rudent knowledge, all around::
    Thanks, bud. It's so nice to have a dude like you put some of the speculation in perspective. Congrats at the privilege.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I like what the Twins did yesterday, they solved the catching depth issue and they got 6 potential starting pitchers, much more happy about rounds 2-10 this year then last.

As mentioned, all it takes for this to be a super successful draft is if Stewart lives up to expectations and the Twins can find another regular contributor or two.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910