Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandelaro: Twins to stay in Rochester for 2 more years

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mandelaro: Twins to stay in Rochester for 2 more years

https://twitter.com/jmand1/status/236463302052560896

According to a Tweet from Rochester Democrat & Chronicle writer Jim Mandelaro indicates that the Twins and Red Wings will announce that they will continue their working relationship for two more years.

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mandelaro must be disappointed considering his blog comments a few weeks ago about how the Twins lack committment to winning baseball in Rochester by calling up all their top players.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Mandelaro has just been frustrated with having to follow a terrible team the last two years (which I'm sure the Twins beat writers can relate to at this point). His stance has softened as the Wings worked their way in to wild card contention this month.

In the end, I think this is a wise move for both organizations. This relationship may not be terrific at this point, but there was no assurance either the Wings or Twins were going to end up with a better situation elsewhere and real risks for each that they could end up much worse off.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So can we call up Hendriks, Parmelee and Vasquez now? Please?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Twins have made an effort to make Roch better. Glynn, Bruno and Cuellar have done a pretty good job making chicken salad out of this, having them in playoff contention.

SOME talent coming thru the org. Should get better at least offensively next 2 years.

Pitching? Anyone's guess. Pedro Hernandez has had a couple good outings in a row, Esmerling Vasquez now flourishing as a starter. Hendriks does well at AAA

Cuellar is a guy I've felt should be given a shot at ML pitching coach. Not sure why that's never happened.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Pedro Hernandez, too. Might be the next Scott Diamond

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. The Red Wings are trying to get to the playoffs. Same reason we can't call up Arcia or Hicks now either.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Vasquez will have to take someone's spot on the 40 man roster. Could be a tough decision, seeing all the talent that is on this loaded roster.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    There is zero reason to start our top prospects "clocks" in a lost season.

I would like to see Hendriks up though, but understand why he isn't.

Blog Entries
    You really DO want to see Mandelaro's head explode, don't you, John?

I'd like to see those guys get a call up sooner rather than later, too. At the same time, maybe there's some value in letting them have the experience of a playoff push, even if it's at the AAA level. The Wings are still 3.5 games out of the wild card, so they're probably going to fall short and those players will be available to come up when the regular season ends 9/3 (or sooner if the Wings are mathematically eliminated a couple days earlier).
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    18 games left

Call up

Parmelee
    Hendriks
    Vasquez
    Hernandez
    Escobar
    Dozier

and from AA

Hicks
    Arcia

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    You really DO want to see Mandelaro's head explode, don't you, John?

I'd like to see those guys get a call up sooner rather than later, too. At the same time, maybe there's some value in letting them have the experience of a playoff push, even if it's at the AAA level. The Wings are still 3.5 games out of the wild card, so they're probably going to fall short and those players will be available to come up when the regular season ends 9/3 (or sooner if the Wings are mathematically eliminated a couple days earlier).
    It also looks like they have a couple of big two game series over the next couple days against the 1st and 2nd place teams. I wouldn't be shocked if early next week some decisions are made.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think their move today (to open a roster spot for Carson) will tell a lot about how they feel about their affiliates competing. I see it going 5 ways: Move Capps to the 60 day DL, or DFA one of Nishioka, Manship, Perdomo, Tosoni. I think that the most logical would be to DFA Tosoni (but that would hurt the Rock Cats in their run) Second most logical would be to DFA one of the AAA pitchers (Manship will be out of options next season and there is no way he should be on the 25-man roster) but the most innocuous for the AAA and AA teams would be to move Capps to the 60day DL (but would hurt the slim chances the Twins have to trade him in a waiver trade) or DFA NIshioka (nobody will take him, but I suspect that unless they sell his contract to Japan, they would want to see him again in September)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    I'm no minor league expert, but isn't two years kind of a short contract for a minor league affiliate? Does anyone know which other team's AAA affiliates will be free agents in two years? I'm just wondering if either Rochester or the Twins have their sights on a specific team come 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No. The Red Wings are trying to get to the playoffs. Same reason we can't call up Arcia or Hicks now either.
    This is the reason but its maddening that the Twins are basing THEIR roster off of what is best for ROC/New Brit/
    Prob means another yr in AA for Hicks/Arcia....ala Benson/Parm as we will need to sign more Carson/Matt Tolbert types to make Roc happy

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm no minor league expert, but isn't two years kind of a short contract for a minor league affiliate? Does anyone know which other team's AAA affiliates will be free agents in two years? I'm just wondering if either Rochester or the Twins have their sights on a specific team come 2015?
    Most contracts (Player Development Contracts) with affiliates are either 2 or 4 years. Leases for spring training facilities are a different story. The Twins have a lease of Hammond Stadium and their ST facilities until 2020, but their PDC with Fort Myers Miracle expires this fall I think (but they will renew it if they have not done so).
    -----

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Mandelaro has been twitting about "how angry" the natives are because they extended the PDC. Some of us Twins' fans are pretty upset too, because they (including the press and Mandelaro) never embraced the Twins as a franchise, and I don't think they deserve the Twins. Every other town that the Twins have affiliations with (including New Britain which is deep in Red Sox, Yankee, Met territory) is positively thinking of the Twins and their local papers even have Minnesota Twins coverage. Not Rochester. I think that the Twins made a mistake here. Maybe more agreements would be expiring in 2 years so the field would be better. Could be a tactical move because of this.
    -----

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the reason but its maddening that the Twins are basing THEIR roster off of what is best for ROC/New Brit/
    Prob means another yr in AA for Hicks/Arcia....ala Benson/Parm as we will need to sign more Carson/Matt Tolbert types to make Roc happy
    Nobody should have a problem with this thinking. If we really NEED these players, then yes, we call them up and the minor league teams/fans will understand. But we don't need them so why not let them stay down and help thier team's playoff push.

Blog Entries
    I'm not even sure if teams are allowed under the rule to extend for more than 4 years. Seems like it's always either 2 or 4 and it seems like you see more 4 year deals when affiliates are making their first agreement. Feels like the two organizations have to really feel like they've got a solid fit to extend for 4 years.

I'm an admitted "conspiracy theorist" at heart so I question a lot of things that have no basis for being questioned... that said, shouldn't we wonder why the Twins and Miracle haven't extended yet? I think some of the ownership group of the Miracle are also minority owners of the St. Paul Saints (including actor Bill Murray), but I don't think they have any particular connection to the Twins organization other than sharing a stadium in Ft Myers.

I assume that the Miracle ownership has a separate lease with Lee County for use of Hammond Stadium, rather than being part of the Twins' lease with the county. If that's the case, there's really no reason the Miracle couldn't decide to look in to other affiliations. It might be awkward for the Miracle to affiliate with another MLB team and use Hammond Stadium, but it wouldn't be impossible. Not to mention, there are two other stadiums in Lee County that could be leased to the Miracle, if necessary. Both the Red Sox new JetBlue park and their old ST ballpark, City of Palms Ballpark, would arguably be available.

It just seems odd that, if the ties between the Miracle and Twins are so close, they haven't already formally extended their PDC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Nobody should have a problem with this thinking. If we really NEED these players, then yes, we call them up and the minor league teams/fans will understand. But we don't need them so why not let them stay down and help thier team's playoff push.
    It's interesting to see this discussion take place. The fans of MLB teams get upset if decisions are made to placate MiLB affiliates. Fans of MiLB teams get upset if the MLB parent jerks their best players away when the team is winning. I get a feeling that how a person feels about this issue largely depends on whether you're part of a community with an affiliated minor league team.

In truth, the two organizations need one another. Without affiliates, the MLB organization would have to own and manage all of their own minor league teams. Some MLB teams are moving toward this model, but it's not without risks. Without a MLB affiliate, minor league organizations would have to incur payroll costs for players and other field personnel. That would make even breaking even financially almost impossible for most MiLB teams.

So yes, the Twins do need to at least consider the effect of late season player moves on their affiliates that are contending for playoff spots. It's not the prevailing factor, but it's a factor. I don't think that's unreasonable when you're talking about a difference of a few days' time one place or another. Then again, I'm a minor league fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast