Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Minnesota Twins 2nd Round Pick RHP Ryan Eades

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I wouldn't rule that out but there are far more moving parts in a franchise than just saying "I want Player A" and going to get him.

Even the best armchair analysts on this board have a pretty miserable track record when it comes to being right (and the truly smart ones are the first to admit it).
    Like I said I was just nit picking your statement about intelligence with no qualifiers about it being baseball intelligence.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
    So, did anybody watch him vs. Oklahoma yesterday? I saw one inning, and he looked okay, fastball sitting around 90, good breaking ball.

Then the rains came and I turned it off.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    So, did anybody watch him vs. Oklahoma yesterday? I saw one inning, and he looked okay, fastball sitting around 90, good breaking ball.

Then the rains came and I turned it off.
    Not real impressive. Mechanics were all over the place. Looked very hittable ( a lot of hard-hit balls were hit right at position players- only one K), and very wild (65 pitches, only 33 strikes and 2 BB),. He was basically one batter away from getting removed in the 2nd inning. He does appear to have a live arm, but it will be a major work in progress once he signs.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-09-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    (65 pitches, only 33 strikes and 2 BB).
    Yuk... If my math is correct... 33 Strikes 32 Balls?

Fairly big game for LSU.

One game don't mean much and it has little effect on what he will be in the future... but... 33-32... That ain't gonna get anyone excited.

I'm glad LSU will be playing in Omaha so he can try again. Maybe give us a warmer feeling next game.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Given free rein, most of this board would struggle to make a MLB franchise look better than the 63 Mets, much less the 2012 Twins.

Let's just go ahead and kill the notion that anyone here is smarter than the average General Manager in MLB. These are highly trained, competent individuals... Who mostly look bad because they are competing against more highly trained, more competent individuals.
    I don't believe they are highly trained or particularly competent. I am not a guy who cares much about the draft, especially with the new format, because I don't know much about the prospects, but I do not see any evidence that major league front offices are built through anything but "the way things have always been done," gut feelings and nepotism.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    I don't believe they are highly trained or particularly competent. I am not a guy who cares much about the draft, especially with the new format, because I don't know much about the prospects, but I do not see any evidence that major league front offices are built through anything but "the way things have always been done," gut feelings and nepotism.
    20-30 years ago, I may have agreed with you but in today's world where so many front offices are dealing in advanced sabremetrics and the handling of $150m+ contracts, I don't believe that to be the case.

I believe that sabre crowd has had a rising tide effect on the rest of the GMs in the league. The "good ol' boys club" just ain't gonna cut it in today's baseball market. You have to know what the hell you're doing or you'll be out on your ass in 2-3 years.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    I agree. Give me a poster on a fan board any day.

I like this pick a lot. If he can make it to the bigs quickly like Michael Wacha (which Keith Law suggested) this will be great.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567