Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Twins 2nd Round Pick RHP Ryan Eades

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go with a HS SS. That position is such a huge need. Personally I found Oscar Mercado interesting. It amazes me how they love the "toolsy" OF but don't seem to care about it when they evaluate middle infielders.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Eades doesn't strike anyone out and is at best a marginal third rounder. The next 9 guys taken are preferable options. No idea what is going on with this team. Trevor Williams, Cody Reed, Blake Taylor, and Tom Windle will be better than Eades.

Hopefully tomorrow is better. They got Stewart and that is good, but then they ruined it.
    Lets wait until the hangover is over before we go and analyze the mlb draft. For christ sakes 3 years is too early much less a few (obviously) blackoutish hours. Eades has some room to grow and could add some velo to his fastball. He was considered a mid first rounder at one time and was ranked by most in top 50...so lets get off the bridge and untie the noose.

In 5 years, Eades could be a 3, 4, or 5 starter and stewart could be going through his second tj. Just wait and see is all im saying.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
    Jason Churchill's take on the pick.
    Quickest to the Majors

Twins (No. 43) | Ryan Eades, RHP, LSU: Eades received top-20 buzz this spring, but fell to a team with a history of drafting strike throwers. He uses all of his pitches and offers a little bit of projection thanks to a prototypical pitcher's build at 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds.Eades could be the Michael Wacha of the class of 2013. Wacha made his big-league debut for the St. Louis Cardinals last month after being the No. 19 overall pick in last year's draft. That's not a comparison of talents, just in terms of moving quickly despite the lack of ace upside.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eades doesn't strike anyone out and is at best a marginal third rounder. The next 9 guys taken are preferable options. No idea what is going on with this team. Trevor Williams, Cody Reed, Blake Taylor, and Tom Windle will be better than Eades.

Hopefully tomorrow is better. They got Stewart and that is good, but then they ruined it.
    Patience.
    There is lots of time to evaluate this draft in the next few years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Lets wait until the hangover is over before we go and analyze the mlb draft. For christ sakes 3 years is too early much less a few (obviously) blackoutish hours. Eades has some room to grow and could add some velo to his fastball. He was considered a mid first rounder at one time and was ranked by most in top 50...so lets get off the bridge and untie the noose.

In 5 years, Eades could be a 3, 4, or 5 starter and stewart could be going through his second tj. Just wait and see is all im saying.
    While I don't agree with the idea that Eades is a third round guy, have said he is good value wise at 43, fans have the right to voice their dislike for a pick. Obviously no one knows how these picks will turn out but that doesn't change the fact that some of us are disappointed right now with the pick. Like Wahl, I preferred several other players to Eades. Are we right? Who knows? I hope not. I hope the Twins nail every pick.

I feel most will be happy with the pick because he is a quick to the majors arm. I have made my side clear that I prefer upside and I just don't see it in Eades. He feels like another Wimmers. Only time will tell but that doesn't mean I don't like the pick now.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Last edited by iastfan112; 06-07-2013 at 01:46 AM.

I think the Twins missed out big time by taking a pass on Windle. A hometown kid with tons of potential. He will succeed with the Dodgers. As for the first round pick, seems risky all the way around for me. Who's he ever pitched to? How serious is he for baseball?
    Last edited by Pierre K.; 06-07-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre K. View Post
    I think the Twins missed out big time by taking a pass on Windle. A hometown kid with tons of potential. He will succeed with the Dodgers. As for the first round pick, seems risky all the way around for me. Who's he ever pitched to? How serious is he for baseball?
    Stewart was pretty much consensus BPA there and the Twins really need high upside arms, its a good pick.
    Not that Windle would've been a bad choice but neither Law or BA seemed particularly enamored with him.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

No truer words ever spoken.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Lol I love all the draft experts in this thread. Who cares that he doesn't project to be an ace, it's the 2nd round not the first.... If Stewart makes the bigs and this dude becomes a middle
    Of the rotation arm then the Twins by far had an amazing draft. At least it's not another college RP and a guy who could be a starter (which last time I checked the twins lacked period!!)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    Gosh reading so many threads about Eades remarking that he doesn't throw 95 and K 10 per game--really did people really think those guys exist at #43? Baker was a 2nd rounder at was at least serviceable until he got injured.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    To Summarize:
    1)None of us are scouting experts, but we all have the right to our opinion about this pick. Some of us think it was a fine pick. Others wish the Twins would have gone with someone else and it should be fun to discuss those opinions.
    2) We won't know for a couple years how these picks turn out, but we all hope they turn out to be great picks and contribute to a World Series Champion Twins team sometime in the not too distant future.

The twins are never short of bottom of the rotation pitchers. This pick makes no sense to me.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there's more upside here than people realize. He was a potential first rounder at the beginning of the season but didn't really live up to the hype. Perhaps Twins scouts saw something they could fix and unlock that talent... I don't know. I'd have preferred Kyle Serrano (far more upside), but given the signability concerns, I can see what they did... that and no one drafted him so he may still be there in round 3...

That said, given the org need for pitching, a guy like Eades can move up the chain much quicker. That too has value, especially to a team lacking enough pitching to fit with the next wave. I wouldn't call him a back of the rotation arm just yet. He could blossom into a nice 3 type guy. He wasn't my first choice, but this is hardly a bad selection.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I defer to Baseball America on this pick. By their rankings, he was the best player on the board.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know! This pick is so stupid, it makes you question the whole organization from top to bottom!!! They've completely ruined the whole franchise with this pick! We might as well start rooting for the Brewers, cause this guy is a total waste of resources!
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 276 Times in 143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by launchingthrees View Post
    The twins are never short of bottom of the rotation pitchers. This pick makes no sense to me.
    We seem to be pretty short of them right now. I don't recall many potential top-rotation guys available at #43. He could easily be better than bottom of the rotation.

I agree with sentiments expressed above- baseball draft is a crapshoot. The only thing you know for sure is which hand guys use to throw. Doesn't hurt to speculate, but declaring someone a bust already seems a bit premature.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    I don't get why people are upset that people are, you know, offering their opinion on a pick, in a thread about the pick......what are we supposed to do in these threads if not discuss and offer opinions?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I think there's more upside here than people realize. He was a potential first rounder at the beginning of the season but didn't really live up to the hype. Perhaps Twins scouts saw something they could fix and unlock that talent... I don't know. I'd have preferred Kyle Serrano (far more upside), but given the signability concerns, I can see what they did... that and no one drafted him so he may still be there in round 3...

That said, given the org need for pitching, a guy like Eades can move up the chain much quicker. That too has value, especially to a team lacking enough pitching to fit with the next wave. I wouldn't call him a back of the rotation arm just yet. He could blossom into a nice 3 type guy. He wasn't my first choice, but this is hardly a bad selection.
    A guy who is a 3 means he is one of the 75 best SP's in the league at the time. If the 23rd pitcher taken in this year's draft turns into that, I think you're in pretty good shape. Not to mention, if he comes in a Gibson-Meyer wave, he would be our number 3, and would potentially be our number 5 when a Stewart-Berrios-May wave hits. All in all, this is a good pick if it works out, and at this point, who knows if that will happen.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Baseball America had him at #31 and said he was in contention as the third best college starting pitcher in the draft....it's one thing to disagree its another for some mouth breathers to make up a bunch of bull**** to support their theory of "durrr the twins don't know what they are doing" meme
    Name calling? Sigh.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast