Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Minnesota Twins Have Opportunity to Load Up in MLB Draft

Minnesota Twins Have Opportunity to Load Up in MLB Draft

Most mock drafts I've seen have the Twins picking prep pitcher Kohl Stewart. I wrote about the draft and how unusual it would be for the Twins to take a high school pitcher.

The Twins haven't picked a high school pitcher as their overall first pick of the draft since Dan Serafini in 1992. In fact, the best high school pitcher the Twins ever drafted in the first round was Todd Ritchie in 1990, so it wouldn't be surprising if they decide to avoid going this route despite Stewart's power arm.
    You can read the rest of Minnesota Twins Have Opportunity to Load Up in MLB Draft at Yahoo! Sports.

What do you think? Should the Twins go a safer route with their first pick? Should they load up on as many power arms as possible? Should they draft Appel if he falls that far and risk overpaying or not signing him at all?
    I have been an avid fans of the Twins since Kirby Puckett's breakout year of 1986 and have had numerous articles about the Twins published on Yahoo! Sports.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 821 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Appel fell to them at 4, I'd take him... I'll be very disappointed if the Twins don't end up with one of Appel, Gray, Bryant, or Stewart.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Big Three are gone, I don't know if the Twins get much "safer" than Stewart. Gotta bet on talent above everything else.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish I could get revved up about the possibilities tonight.

I think these drafts are big moments for the club and I am extremely curious.

I read everything I can to try and get myself revved up for it and knowledgable... But, in the end... I really dont know enough about the guys who are writing the opinions that I'm reading to give me the passion necessary to get revved. I cant help assuming that if they were really good at what they do... They'd have major league jobs.

I also haven't seen these guys play to draw my own impression and peer comparison using stats from High School and even College can be mis-leading because they face varied degrees of competition that will skew things.

Like I said... I want to get revved because the draft is important... All I can do is remain hopeful for a college Pitcher because we could use some arms in the majors yesterday and the college arm could be here quicker potentially. After that... I have no choice but to place my faith in the scouts and watch and draw my own conclusions later.

Heres to hoping that we stock our shelfs well.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's true, we all think we know more than the teams... that's part of why it's so intriguing...

Also, just because the Twins don't typically draft high school pitchers high doesn't mean that they shouldn't. Stewart certainly has some huge potential! that's what the draft is, and should be, all about.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's true, we all think we know more than the teams... that's part of why it's so intriguing...
    Professional baseball scouts don't tell me how to do my job; I'm actually okay with returning the courtesy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 381 Times in 234 Posts
    The Twins used to pick HS pitchers with their 1st pick often in the 80's and early 90's. Serafini, Todd Ritchie, Willie Banks, Derek Perks and Jeff Bumgarner all between 1985 and 1992. Were they basically busts? Yes but so was just about every other Twins 1st round draft pick. In fact Todd Ritchie's career 6.3 WAR (I know, I know WAR sucks) is the 9th highest career WAR for any Twins 1st round draftee who ever actually put on a Twins uniform.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Revved up is one thing, worked up is another. I'm revved up, regardless of who they take. Just like last year. And 2001 too. I was a lot less revved up when our draft number was 31, or 22 , or even 14. Those tend to result in Michael, Wimmers, and Hicks, not Buxton or Kohl Stewart types. A top ten pick isn't a sure thing, but if it clicks, it can change things for the franchise. So, I won't get worked up, regardless of the pick, because we just won't know enough to render a valid opinion about it. But a top 5 pick skews the odds so damn favorably, and picking at the front of the order, round after round is certainly advantageous.

Senior Member All-Star
    Speak for your self, some of us think, others of us KNOW.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The Twins used to pick HS pitchers with their 1st pick often in the 80's and early 90's. Serafini, Todd Ritchie, Willie Banks, Derek Perks and Jeff Bumgarner all between 1985 and 1992. Were they basically busts? Yes but so was just about every other Twins 1st round draft pick. In fact Todd Ritchie's career 6.3 WAR (I know, I know WAR sucks) is the 9th highest career WAR for any Twins 1st round draftee who ever actually put on a Twins uniform.
    While teams still deal with imperfect information, I really think things are different now, and that it's not quite the crapshoot as it was even five years ago. And somehow I think this is especially true for the truly elite talent.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Also, just because the Twins don't typically draft high school pitchers high doesn't mean that they shouldn't. Stewart certainly has some huge potential! that's what the draft is, and should be, all about.
    Armchair quarterbacking is a part of our cultural heritage. I even think it's tucked into the Bill of Rights somewhere.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Armchair quarterbacking is a part of our cultural heritage. I even think it's tucked into the Bill of Rights somewhere.
    My wife will vouch, they'll have to pry my armchair from my cold dead fingers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    While teams still deal with imperfect information, I really think things are different now, and that it's not quite the crapshoot as it was even five years ago. And somehow I think this is especially true for the truly elite talent.

I agree, we have many more tools for evaluation and much more knowledge about what works and what doesn't. The scare with HS pitchers was largely the unknown. Not all, but some of the unknown is now available knowledge due to a better understanding of specific concerns and principles.