Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins GM Terry Ryan talks scouting and the draft

  1. #1
    Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    995
    Like
    1
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200

    Article: Minnesota Twins GM Terry Ryan talks scouting and the draft

    @OverTheBaggy

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,388
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Ryan
    Now days players get seen so much more than we use to be able to back in the 1980’s.
    Perhaps that helps explains why elite pitchers seem to only becoming out of the first round with a few fringe guys in the second over the last 10 years or so. While I'm sure there are more factors involved this certainly seems like it could be a contributing factor. The more data you collect the more accurate your decisions become.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,131
    Like
    3
    Liked 177 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Regardless of the competition, we’re still looking at skills and tools and body and competitiveness and attention and urgency. All that stuff.
    What was Jason Bartlett's "urgency" score on the 20-to-80 scale again?

    Also, didn't he leave off "consistency"?

  4. #4
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    115
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Terry Ryan is disgusting, I cant stand him. I would do anything to get him fired. I wish the Twins had a GM like the Wilds Chuck Fletcher, he stocked the Wilds system and signed the 2 best FAs last year and made some other good trades for good players.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    Terry Ryan is disgusting, I cant stand him.
    Wow

  6. #6
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    51
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    Terry Ryan is disgusting, I cant stand him. I would do anything to get him fired. I wish the Twins had a GM like the Wilds Chuck Fletcher, he stocked the Wilds system and signed the 2 best FAs last year and made some other good trades for good players.

    Fletcher is good yes, but you seem to have forgotten about the ill advised Leddy- Barker trade. And he has the complete support of ownership to win. I think the Twins do want to win. The last couple of drafts have been encouraging, but they are never gonna be that team to bring in high priced talent. I'm willing to give Ryan some time to clean up the mess he came into.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,146
    Like
    62
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
    Fletcher is good yes, but you seem to have forgotten about the ill advised Leddy- Barker trade. And he has the complete support of ownership to win. I think the Twins do want to win. The last couple of drafts have been encouraging, but they are never gonna be that team to bring in high priced talent. I'm willing to give Ryan some time to clean up the mess he came into.
    Time will be needed to clean-up the mess and we do need to be somewhat patient. There also needs to be a committment from ownership--at all levels.
    But to be blunt, Ryan did not walk into this situation as an outsider, he helped create the mess.

  8. #8
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    51
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Time will be needed to clean-up the mess and we do need to be somewhat patient. There also needs to be a committment from ownership--at all levels.
    But to be blunt, Ryan did not walk into this situation as an outsider, he helped create the mess.

    Oh, i agree. But it seems the last couple of drafts have really added talent. Guys like Travis Harrison, are guys they didnt really draft before. And drafting guys with live arms, rather than mostly pitch to contact guys. Add that to the sudden success in the international market, and im more optimistic than i have been in years.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    318
    Like
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
    Oh, i agree. But it seems the last couple of drafts have really added talent. Guys like Travis Harrison, are guys they didnt really draft before. And drafting guys with live arms, rather than mostly pitch to contact guys. Add that to the sudden success in the international market, and im more optimistic than i have been in years.
    The Twins drafted Danny Rams, Chris Parmelee, Henry Sanchez and Matt Moses, who like Harrison were all power hitting high school prospects. All except Rams (2nd round) were also taken in the either the first round or supplemental first round.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    583
    Like
    3
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    Terry Ryan is disgusting, I cant stand him. I would do anything to get him fired. I wish the Twins had a GM like the Wilds Chuck Fletcher, he stocked the Wilds system and signed the 2 best FAs last year and made some other good trades for good players.

    Don't like some of his moves? Fine. Which one?
    Want him fired? Fine. Why?

    But to call him "disgusting?" means you crossed the line from complaing to fan, into ranting buffoon.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
    Oh, i agree. But it seems the last couple of drafts have really added talent. Guys like Travis Harrison, are guys they didnt really draft before. And drafting guys with live arms, rather than mostly pitch to contact guys. Add that to the sudden success in the international market, and im more optimistic than i have been in years.
    The last couple of drafts generally look better than those before, the more recent draftees haven't had enough rope to hang themselves yet. It also helps that the Twins had the second overall pick last year.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
    Fletcher is good yes, but you seem to have forgotten about the ill advised Leddy- Barker trade. And he has the complete support of ownership to win. I think the Twins do want to win. The last couple of drafts have been encouraging, but they are never gonna be that team to bring in high priced talent. I'm willing to give Ryan some time to clean up the mess he came into.
    Jury is also out on the Pominville trade.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,146
    Like
    62
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Sid Hartman wrote an article in the Strib today claiming that the Twins' problems were caused by poor drafts from '02-'09. Normally Sid is one of the biggest defenders of the Twins (and other local teams) so I was quite surprised to read this column under his byline. My reading between the lines caused me to conclude that there was a fundamental change after '09 and that it was caused by a new philosophy from the Pohlads, eg Carl's death and his sons taking command--they opened the purse strings for amateur player acquisition.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Sid Hartman wrote an article in the Strib today claiming that the Twins' problems were caused by poor drafts from '02-'09. Normally Sid is one of the biggest defenders of the Twins (and other local teams) so I was quite surprised to read this column under his byline. My reading between the lines caused me to conclude that there was a fundamental change after '09 and that it was caused by a new philosophy from the Pohlads, eg Carl's death and his sons taking command--they opened the purse strings for amateur player acquisition.
    I would still argue that '09 represented the first year the Twins could start spending based upon expected revenues from Target Field, and that is why the difference in international and draft spending started, though the death of Carl is an interesting aspect. No doubt Jim has been more aggressive.
    Papers...business papers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.