Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "There is NOOOO smoking... in Target Field?"

"There is NOOOO smoking... in Target Field?"

http://www.startribune.com/local/146156485.html

Careful if you only have 30 free articles to read... but Target Field is now smoke free. All of Target Field. The plaza, the sidewalks surrounding it, everywhere. I don't smoke- and don't enjoy the smell- but I think this is ridiculous. Especially when chewing tobacco will still be allowed on the field. The only positive: if they bring back the recording of Bob Casey's famous call before every Metrodome home game.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Jim Leyland can smoke there, everyone should be able to smoke there.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I certainly respect countering opinions on this issue, but from my perspective, kudos to the Twins organization for this one. I respect someone's right to smoke, but I don't want to smell it, breathe it, or otherwise have to deal with it. Personally, I don't want to have to avoid an area of Target Field to allow smokers (plus its likely very difficult to create an area to specifically house them). I think they have bent to the popular will on this. Nothing worse than enjoying the outdoor air, only to have it poluted by something smelling worse than the Metrodome's bathrooms.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wonder what all the employees at Target Field are gonna do now that they're losing their smoking spot on 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    I certainly respect countering opinions on this issue, but from my perspective, kudos to the Twins organization for this one. I respect someone's right to smoke, but I don't want to smell it, breathe it, or otherwise have to deal with it. Personally, I don't want to have to avoid an area of Target Field to allow smokers (plus its likely very difficult to create an area to specifically house them). I think they have bent to the popular will on this. Nothing worse than enjoying the outdoor air, only to have it poluted by something smelling worse than the Metrodome's bathrooms.
    The smoking area was outside of the stadium. You could easily avoid the smell by not going out there.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The area was OUTSIDE the stadium, you're only going to be exposed to it if you join those out there or walk by. It also was located by a very low-traffic gate as it's only accessible from the streets surrounding Target Field in one direction. I understand the smell part as I myself do smoke and hate it as well, but this is America. And why is there not some room for compromise, such as making those who wish to smoke leave the property, but allowing re-entry into the stadium? Is this not reasonable? Other stadiums do this, and in fact, Target Field is now one of only 6 MLB stadiums with absolutely ZERO provisions for smokers that aren't required to be fully non-smoking due to state or city laws (4 are because of this) -> http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/majorlea...umpoliices.pdf
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    But I guess this just means I'll be exposing all my neighbors in the stands to my Grizzly Straight Chewing Tobacco and spitter bottle. Bet they'll enjoy that far less than they do my smoking in the designated smoking area... [Edit: been told Chewing Tobacco non-use is also enforced, though I see it all the time there]
    Last edited by Steve Lein; 04-04-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    The area was OUTSIDE the stadium, you're only going to be exposed to it if you join those out there or walk by. It also was located by a very low-traffic gate as it's only accessible from the streets surrounding Target Field in one direction. -> http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/majorlea...umpoliices.pdf
    This is not a low traffic gate. Everyone coming in gate 6 and heading up the escalators on the 3rd basline passed by that gate. With the wind blowing from the west, it would get awful smokey in that area of the park. Also after the game, everyone would be forced to walk along the smoking area as they waited for the light rail. I'm surprised that they allowed smoking there for the past two years.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    I still would say it's a low-traffic gate, I've gone to plenty of games there and it's always one of the least crowded areas of the park (I'm talking during games when the smokers would be taking their smoke break there).

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    What possible harm comes from allowing smoking customers to make their way OUTSIDE the stadium to have a cigarette?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kind of a funny story: We all know the quintessential "No Smoking Allowed in the Metrodome", right? Well, that was only as far as paid customers were concerned. The clubhouses, the club offices and the managers' offices were not smoke-free. As a matter of fact, Hrbie and Gaetti used to "celebrate" Twins' victories with "heaters"... It's all PR...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    What possible harm comes from allowing smoking customers to make their way OUTSIDE the stadium to have a cigarette?
    None, but it's politically incorrect these days, so that's what you get...

I don't smoke, though I think this is dumb. I don't live up in Minny anymore, so I don't know if smokers paid for the stadium with a sin tax... if they did, they should be livid.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In addition to the clubhouses, etc, the Metrodome also allowed patrons to smoke in the Rally Room - a bar in CF which also had 2-for-1 beer specials in the 3rd and 5th innings. Great place to be if the game slipped out of hand.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Leaving the actual stadium and re-entering for any reason is considered a HUGE security risk, regardless of if it's just for a smoke or whatever. Even the smoker's pen was a potential security hazard as it wouldn't be terribly hard for a passerby to slip something to someone that's already been cleared by security.

The no re-entry policy is pretty standard at virtually all major sporting and entertainment venues, and is unrelated to any smoking ban.

I would guess part of the reason this is being pushed now is a combination of continually mounting public pressure and laws to limit public smoking, as well as the push by MLB to get Tobacco of any kind out of the game. While it didn't outright ban it, the new CBA has specific language aimed at restricting public use of tobacco of any kind by players.

And diehardtwinsfan, I don't believe any money from cigarette taxes went to the stadium, I think it's all coming from the general sales tax hike.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    This is not a low traffic gate. Everyone coming in gate 6 and heading up the escalators on the 3rd basline passed by that gate. With the wind blowing from the west, it would get awful smokey in that area of the park. Also after the game, everyone would be forced to walk along the smoking area as they waited for the light rail. I'm surprised that they allowed smoking there for the past two years.
    This. Certain days smoke was blowing back into the stadium and that affects everyone. And as for chewing tobacco, as digusting as that is, it doesn't affect anyone else so there is nothing wrong with it.

This is a great move by the Twins. Yes it will piss some people off, but what policy change doesn't piss someone off?
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    In principle, I think this is a great move by the Twins, but I think my dad won't come to another Twins game with me (He typically has 3-4 Cigarettes per Baseball game as far back as I can remember).

If someone doesn't want to go to a Twins game with me because they can't smoke, I'm more annoyed with their misguided, unhealthy, expensive addiction, not the Twins.
    Last edited by Harrison Greeley III; 04-05-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    If I had a dollar for every time I tried to get my dad to quit smoking, we'd have season tickets.

I share in your frustration. But when people I love whine about things like this, my annoyance gets aimed at the whiner, not the policy.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post

The no re-entry policy is pretty standard at virtually all major sporting and entertainment venues, and is unrelated to any smoking ban.
    Read the link I provided above, this statement is flat-out not true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast