Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: How is Bud Selig still Commissioner?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries

How is Bud Selig still Commissioner?

In the last several years I have hardly read an article or seen or heard any major sports journalist seriously raise this question. Given the enormity of the PED scandal (so much so that is has now made the Hall of Fame vote out to be a farce) and even Selig's attitude towards Bonds, how is this guy still around? It just seems so obvious to me that he has to go (of course, he should have resigned in shame). I am not saying he was the cause of PED usage, but he was the man in charge. Americans blame and praise presidents for all sorts of things, much of the time when the president has almost nothing to do with it. How does Selig get a pass? I don't think the other major sports would tolerate such a situation, even after what Stern has been for the NBA.

Team owners, by and large, are very happy with him, because the sport has been making money.
    And there has not been a work stoppage in almost 20 years now. Those seem to be the determinative factors for a professional sports commissioner.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

The answer is money. Selig's job is to run Major League Baseball, keep the owners happy, manage the players union, and put the best product forward so the owners make money.

Well -- the value of most Major League teams have been skyrocketing, fueled by a successful MLB lobby to get new stadiums. Players are making money, owners are minting money, baseball is still popular and relevant, and MLB has been introducing new revenue streams through the Internet. There's not another major sport that sells it's product on the web better than baseball.

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    This is a tough one. Yes, there was the PED thing, but yes everyone is making money. I think they're doing the best the league (i.e. Selig) to work with the union on the PED thing. They did actually manage to get regular testing in, as well as a new test for HGH this year. So, I think he's done an ok job trying to get rid of PEDs. It's a tough job with such a strong players union.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Money. If a economy is going well the leader is seen as doing a good job whose pockets have some extra cash in them, in baseball that is the owners and to a greater degree then in the past the players. Why is David Stern still running the NBA? We change heads of the Major Sports Leagues a bit less often then the British Empire changes Monarchs or the Catholic Church changes Popes. Becasue they are making $$ hand over foot and when the rich white guy sells their team that has a brand new tax payer funded stadium the return on that investment is sweet music to their spouses divorce attorneys ears, if they didn't sign a pre nup.

Not that a new stadium is bad, it is the price of admission to be seen as a Big City. Without it, you are Portland. Great place to live, drink coffee, watch some NBA basketball, cheer for Seattle teams (yeah right) and see AAA baseball. That will work for some folks.

Blog Entries
    I guess my title was provocative. I know that it is money that keeps the guy around. I just wonder why sports journalists and those who refuse to vote for certain suspected and/or essentially confirmed PED-using Hall of Famers don't say squat about Selig. I have only read or heard a few arguments over the years. It's a strange thing--we always blame the leader . . . look at the venom sometimes spewed towards Gardy. We blame the guy in charge. Selig was the guy in charge. And he knew that the home run was going to make the league money and he knew that PEDs brought the home run. His hypocrisy and the hypocrisy surrounding this issue is astounding. That it is more likely for Jack Morris than Roger Clemens to get in the Hall of Fame is a joke and a half. Selig's phony after-the-fact denouncement of PEDs is so transparently bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    That it is more likely for Jack Morris than Roger Clemens to get in the Hall of Fame is a joke and a half. Selig's phony after-the-fact denouncement of PEDs is so transparently bogus.
    I'm having a hard time following your argument. You deride Selig for not enforcing PED ban sooner than he did and then you lament that an (alleged) PED user may not make the HOF. What up wid that?

IMO, Selig is vulnerable to criticism for adding an extra wild card team per league, the one game playoff among wild card teams, then next year moving Houston to the AL meaning the mandatory interleague game every day, which will inevitably lead to more reliance on the DH, and make it less likely that it would be abolished.
    Last edited by powrwrap; 04-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    all I remember is the twins being sent for contraction when his crappy brewer team was safe and sound. i hate the brewers and i hate used car salesmen
    Wikipedia is for suckers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    I'm having a hard time following your argument. You deride Selig for not enforcing PED ban sooner than he did and then you lament that an (alleged) PED user may not make the HOF. What up wid that?

IMO, Selig is vulnerable to criticism for adding an extra wild card team per league, the one game playoff among wild card teams, then next year moving Houston to the AL meaning the mandatory interleague game every day, which will inevitably lead to more reliance on the DH, and make it less likely that it would be abolished.
    No, I am not taking a stance at all about PEDs. I am saying that given his condemnation of Bonds and given a lot of the hatred for Bonds and others, and the denial of Hall of Fame status for players who, absent PEDs, clearly would make the Hall anyway, it is strange that we don't blame him at all as the overseer of the league at the time. It's rampant hypocrisy. I have clearly stated that what I find so strange is the silence from sports journalists in condemning him.