Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Networking Question

Networking Question

I'm trying to help my aunt and uncle set up a home network and am having some problems. They have their office in a detached garage a couple hundred feet outside of their home. Their wifi signal does not reach their office. I bought them a cheap wireless signal booster/repeater that works well and gets their signal out to their office. However, it sets up a different network to work on. They need to be on the same network to access their nas drive and home computer for billing.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change a setting on the booster to just repeat that signal without setting up a different network on it? Running a hard wire isn't really an option in this case.

Thanks for any help!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Is it possible to store their business related stuff in Dropbox or something? Or to remotely access their home computer? Dropbox is really easy to setup but I know very little about remote access on computers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Dropbox is working perfectly for my business for me so far. One computer at home and work with a staff computer (limited access) and a separate computer in another (limited access). Latest versions of the files are updated whenever you are on the internet.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,218 Times in 487 Posts
    What are the IP addresses of the home side and the garage side computers? I'm curious if they're getting IP's from the same network range.

Does that range extender provide DHCP addresses? If it does, that functionality needs to be disabled, you don't want multiple devices handing out addresses.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Late to the party, but what is the manufacturer and model number for this extender? I would have assumed it stayed on the same network/subnet but I guess I haven't used these specific products.

I have used a second router set to "repeater bridge" mode, which was ideal for extending a network.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You will have to log into the "bridge" and specify some settings to act as a repeater. List the make and model of the router and the repeater.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 735 Times in 454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not get a hot spot. You could a use a service like log me in to access devices on the other part of the home?

As Brock said, you'll need to log on to the device to adjust a few settings to make it a true repeater.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    You will have to log into the "bridge" and specify some settings to act as a repeater. List the make and model of the router and the repeater.
    Tenda A5