Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65

Thread: Article: Twins Reversing Some Ugly Trends

  1. #41
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    639
    Like
    5
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Only 4.5 games out. If there had been a guy available this past offseason who A. filled the Twins need for starting pitching and B. was coveted by the Tigers, they might have made a direct, albeit "marginal" dent in that gap. A shame no such free agent pitcher fit both of those criteria.
    Agree 1000%

  2. #42
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,554
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Only 4.5 games out. If there had been a guy available this past offseason who A. filled the Twins need for starting pitching and B. was coveted by the Tigers, they might have made a direct, albeit "marginal" dent in that gap. A shame no such free agent pitcher fit both of those criteria.
    Signing Sanchez would have been a shot across the Tigers bow. Though they are clearly odd-on favorites, there are chinks in their armor. Their closer is awful, their #5 starter is awful. Their defense is better than last year, but still sub-standard. They are getting negative WAR results from the DH and Catcher. They still would be likely AL Central winners, but Sanchez fronting the Twins rotation from April 1, with Gibson and later Meyer coming in to bolster him, and at least we're talking about more than Joe Benson on June 3.

  3. #43
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,506
    Like
    845
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Signing Sanchez would have been a shot across the Tigers bow. Though they are clearly odd-on favorites, there are chinks in their armor. Their closer is awful, their #5 starter is awful. Their defense is better than last year, but still sub-standard. They are getting negative WAR results from the DH and Catcher. They still would be likely AL Central winners, but Sanchez fronting the Twins rotation from April 1, with Gibson and later Meyer coming in to bolster him, and at least we're talking about more than Joe Benson on June 3.
    Right, but we'd probably be talking about Hell freezing over or all those pigs flying around everywhere.

  4. #44
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    158
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Bullpen as a whole has been solid but how long wil that last at the rate they're bein used/overused by Gardy's reluctance to let pitchers go deeper.
    I've actually been impressed with Gardy trying to get an extra inning out of his starter whenever he can. The casual fan who's incapable of looking past the current game screams at their TV for gardy to pull him after 5 or 6 innings, with no regard for the long term health of the bullpen. Kudos to gardy. One of the few areas where I support him.

  5. #45
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,620
    Like
    1,117
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Right, but we'd probably be talking about Hell freezing over or all those pigs flying around everywhere.
    why? Why is this scenario so hard for the Twins' fans and FO to imagine/do?

    One big FA signing, call up your best pitching prospect. Imagine if they had kept Span, had Sanchez instead of Pelfrey, and Gibson up nowish......you don't think Span's offense and Sanchez instead of Pelfrey gives you 5 more wins right now?

    You don't think Sanchez and Gibson and Diamond as your top 3 is a legit starting rotation? Add another median FA next year, or maybe Wimmers or Baxendale or a trade target to move in front of Diamond?

    It isn't that hard to fix this rotation, if you are willing to spend money.
    Lighten up Francis....

  6. #46
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    I've actually been impressed with Gardy trying to get an extra inning out of his starter whenever he can. The casual fan who's incapable of looking past the current game screams at their TV for gardy to pull him after 5 or 6 innings, with no regard for the long term health of the bullpen. Kudos to gardy. One of the few areas where I support him.
    You mean like when he pulled Diamond after 6 innings when he was cruising and had a lead of 8-0. Don't think he could have gotten an extra inning there?

    Oh, also, Twins starters are 28th in innings pitched per start.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 06-04-2013 at 09:46 AM.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    443
    Like
    1
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    You mean like when he pulled Diamond after 6 innings when he was cruising and had a lead of 8-0. Don't think he could have gotten an extra inning there?

    Oh, also, Twins starters are 28th in innings pitched per start.
    While Diamond did cruise through 5 innings, he got hit hard in the 6th and his PC was up to 95 after the inning. I had no problem pulling Diamond after the 6th.

    I wanted to add that while I wish they let Diamond go out for the 7th, with how Seattle was hitting everything hard in the 6th (luckily it was at somebody), there was no point in ruining his great outing just to give the BP some rest. That being said, I wished that Gardy didn't feel the need to use 3 relievers. Especially with the off day, I would've like to have Pressly or Roenicke pitch 2 innings and have Perkins finish (if the felt he needed the work).
    Last edited by SweetOne69; 06-04-2013 at 11:23 AM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    While Diamond did cruise through 5 innings, he got hit hard in the 6th and his PC was up to 95 after the inning. I had no problem pulling Diamond after the 6th.
    He gave up one hit after the first inning...in the 4th...and, again, had a 8-0 lead. If there was ever a time where an exta inning could be had from a starter...that was it.

  9. #49
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,506
    Like
    845
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    why? Why is this scenario so hard for the Twins' fans and FO to imagine/do?

    One big FA signing, call up your best pitching prospect. Imagine if they had kept Span, had Sanchez instead of Pelfrey, and Gibson up nowish......you don't think Span's offense and Sanchez instead of Pelfrey gives you 5 more wins right now?

    You don't think Sanchez and Gibson and Diamond as your top 3 is a legit starting rotation? Add another median FA next year, or maybe Wimmers or Baxendale or a trade target to move in front of Diamond?

    It isn't that hard to fix this rotation, if you are willing to spend money.
    Correct, which they will do when either Hell freezes over or pigs fly, possibly both.

    As for the rest of your post, all sounds good except I'll still take Meyer's potential over Span (and it fills a greater need), Diamond as a top 3? Still a little shaky and Alex Wimmers?.......what the......? Now we're really reaching.

  10. #50
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,506
    Like
    845
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    While Diamond did cruise through 5 innings, he got hit hard in the 6th and his PC was up to 95 after the inning. I had no problem pulling Diamond after the 6th.

    I wanted to add that while I wish they let Diamond go out for the 7th, with how Seattle was hitting everything hard in the 6th (luckily it was at somebody), there was no point in ruining his great outing just to give the BP some rest. That being said, I wished that Gardy didn't feel the need to use 3 relievers. Especially with the off day, I would've like to have Pressly or Roenicke pitch 2 innings and have Perkins finish (if the felt he needed the work).
    Why? As Puck stated it was 8-0 and lord knows the BP could use the rest.

  11. #51
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    715
    Like
    82
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Yes, the starting pitching staff situation has not been adequately addressed for yet another year. Unlike many on this board, I don't think it's reasonable to have to wait until 2015- in a brand new ballpark, with a core of 2 former MVPs and 3 potential All Stars trying to bust the doors down to get into the lineup, and crying poor and selling to the public that coming in at around 60% of potentially available payroll dollars is an acceptable trade-off to having "patience" until 2015 or beyond.

    I noticed you left the Red Sox out of your response. I'll take what Cleveland did, at least they are making the effort to get relevant with an intelligent plan and intelligent management to implemet the plan. I would be far more forgiving of the Indians if I was a fan if they fail this year than I am for the Twins for barely make an effort at competing this year.
    Not me.

  12. #52
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,394
    Like
    52
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Park factor trends after 54 games...

    2013 1.055 (11th)
    2012 1.044 (10th)
    2011 0.944 (21st)
    2010 0.962 (19th)

    Do we still think Target Field is a pitcher's park?
    Given that half of that data comes against the Twins pitchers I'm not sure that tells much of anything....

  13. #53
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    158
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    You mean like when he pulled Diamond after 6 innings when he was cruising and had
    a lead of 8-0. Don't think he could have gotten an extra inning there?

    Oh, also, Twins starters are 28th in innings pitched per start.
    No question. Pulling diamond was dumb. Diamond probably said he was gassed. Thats one of my many beefs with gardy. He doesnt call the shots, the players do. I still think gardys made an effort to get more innings from his starters, its just not so easy being they're all so terrible.

  14. #54
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,554
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Not me.
    But that's just you...

  15. #55
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,554
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Right, but we'd probably be talking about Hell freezing over or all those pigs flying around everywhere.
    Right... But I like Willihammer's stating of the unmentionable obvious about "the elephant in the room"...it didn't, and it doesn't, have to be this way... where pigs and ice are concerned.

  16. #56
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,554
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    why? Why is this scenario so hard for the Twins' fans and FO to imagine/do?

    One big FA signing, call up your best pitching prospect. Imagine if they had kept Span, had Sanchez instead of Pelfrey, and Gibson up nowish......you don't think Span's offense and Sanchez instead of Pelfrey gives you 5 more wins right now?

    You don't think Sanchez and Gibson and Diamond as your top 3 is a legit starting rotation? Add another median FA next year, or maybe Wimmers or Baxendale or a trade target to move in front of Diamond?

    It isn't that hard to fix this rotation, if you are willing to spend money.
    And how about not letting Torii Hunter sign with the Tigers for 2 years? Back-up center fielder, starting RF and the #2 hole in the lineup taken care of, and a set of huge holes shot in both the Tigers defense and a set-up guy in front of Cabrera and Fielder.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-04-2013 at 03:34 PM.

  17. #57
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,554
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    why? Why is this scenario so hard for the Twins' fans and FO to imagine/do?




    It isn't that hard to fix this rotation, if you are willing to spend money
    .
    You capsulized my frustrations with the current situation in 2 sentences. Why, "why?", indeed. We need an "imagination" infusion in Twinsland.

  18. #58
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,039
    Like
    1,763
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts

  19. #59
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    Diamond probably said he was gassed. Thats one of my many beefs with gardy. He doesnt call the shots, the players do.
    Those are a couple assumptions I'm not willing to take.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 06-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    He gave up one hit after the first inning...in the 4th...and, again, had a 8-0 lead. If there was ever a time where an exta inning could be had from a starter...that was it.
    Totally agree.

    Gardy has lost several games this year by WISHING his starters could go longer. I don't think he notices Corriea, or whoever, are mentally fried iin the 7th even though they have only throw 85 pitches. Or 107. Pick your favorite game that he has booted.

    Now, they are carrying 13 pitchers and have every monday in June off. July isn't a lot different. USE THE BULLPEN!.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.