Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins MLB Draft Profile: Jonathan Gray, RHP

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cannot think of a reason why this pick would fall under "the Twins messed up b/c". He's likely not going to be there at 4, and if by chance he is, we'd be silly not to take him.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    I'd think that anyone second guessing this pick would have to be doing so from hindsight. I can't think of a reason, given what we know today, why you would not take him if he is there (other than Appel also being there, I guess).
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really hope he falls to us at #4. And if he does we better take him...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    No way the Twins pass on Gray if he falls to #4. I seriously doubt that happens. The Law Mock was some sort of idiosyncratic type of mock not based on any logic. The only possibility of Gray or Appel falling to the Twins is if somehow Stewart got in the mix with the top selection.

As it is, I have long advocated a college arm with the #4, but after talking with my cousin who is a Texas A&M grad, he thinks the slotted bonus amount for #4 is enough to get Stewart signed. And, the fact that the Twins would be protected with a #5 pick next year helps mitigate any signability risk.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    the Law mock is based on coversations with front office personnel......and it is certainly possible that Houston tries what they tried last year.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I cannot think of a reason why this pick would fall under "the Twins messed up b/c". He's likely not going to be there at 4, and if by chance he is, we'd be silly not to take him.
    While I agree I will play devil's advocate for fun.

Do people know why Gray wasn't on many boards coming into the year even though he had possessed a mid+ 90's fastball since HS? He had a history of having a poor work ethic which led to poor results on the field. He was constantly out of shape which led to inconsistent mechanics. Can he keep up the effort to stay in shape? Can he develop a change up? Unlike Appel there just isn't a track record to know for sure.

Ok, no more devils advocate. I love Gray and have him #1 on my board. I still don't believe he will fall to #4 but if he does I will be bouncing off the walls. Go Twins!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'd think that anyone second guessing this pick would have to be doing so from hindsight. I can't think of a reason, given what we know today, why you would not take him if he is there (other than Appel also being there, I guess).
    I can't imagine someone criticizing a draft pick or draft record out of hindsight.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I can't imagine someone criticizing a draft pick or draft record out of hindsight.
    I think the Twins should have kept Santana instead of trading him and picked Mike Trout and Tyler Skaggs with the two comp picks they would have gotten for him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    From what I've read about Gray the question is whether he can develop a 3rd pitch. If he ends up just a high velocity bullpen arm, it's a bad pick. I would prefer Appel and Bryant to him so if he's there, we should obviously take him. But if the Twins took Stewart over him, I'd probably be ok with it b/c they (presumably) would feel that Stewart was more likely to become a true ace. If they took McGuire and saved money, I'd be pretty upset.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apparently Gray tested positive for a banned stimulant at pre-draft testing. No suspension, but will face additional tests.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Apparently Gray tested positive for a banned stimulant at pre-draft testing. No suspension, but will face additional tests.
    Well, that'll knock him down a few lists, maybe even ours.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2013/st...-test-adderall

Adderall. Used for ADHD. Helps focus. Klaw doesn't think it'll hurt his draft stock.
    Last edited by gunnarthor; 06-03-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    That would have to easily scare Houston away from drafting him and I don't think they want anything to do with Appel after they wanted nothing to do with him and if he is #1 Boras will make sure he gets every penny he can squeeze out if him.
    I know we are talking about Gray here but you would have to think this will push Houston to taking Colin Moran, giving the Twins one of the top 3 studs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it possible that Houston will be more likely to draft him?

He must know that this could effect his slot. Would that make him more willing to take below slot money? Houston might be able to get him to accept a contract slotted for picks 4 or 5 and draft him number 1.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gray testing positive for Adderal could hurt the Twins. If Gray falls down draft boards including the Twins that could mean that one of the top 3 teams that would of picked Gray could move him down and instead take Stewart, and if the Twins dont like Gray anymore either it may mean that they would just take Mcguire because Bryant, Appel and Stewart are all gone.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    Gray testing positive for Adderal could hurt the Twins. If Gray falls down draft boards including the Twins that could mean that one of the top 3 teams that would of picked Gray could move him down and instead take Stewart, and if the Twins dont like Gray anymore either it may mean that they would just take Mcguire because Bryant, Appel and Stewart are all gone.
    I follow you. I haven't heard of any of the top 3 teams connected to Stewart, so I have to think he,s ceiling is still 4. The Twins are big on character though, so I agree with you it is a possiblity the Twins pass on Gray at 4.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A college student tested positive for Adderall? No ****.

Anyway, if he falls to 4 and the Twins do not take him, I am going to go ballistic. Other than him at that spot (and assuming Stewart would be gone), I like Shipley or Ball.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

Anyway, if he falls to 4 and the Twins do not take him, I am going to go ballistic. Other than him at that spot (and assuming Stewart would be gone), I like Shipley or Ball.
    I agree If they passed on Gray I would absolutely freak out. Assuming Stewart is gone too I like Shipley and Ball to but less Shipley. Hes could be a longer wait than Stewart even, he just recently became a pitcher and I heard he could take up to 5 years to develop.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I mostly agree with you but ... 1) other students (Appel, Shipley) managed to do fine without it or were smart enough to know how not to get caught. 2) Coming into the year, Gray wasn't this good, as CMB mentioned. Did Adderall help him with his focus? If so, how would he do without it? Revert to the 3rd round arm he was last year?

I don't necessarily think Gray is a bad pick and I'd be thrilled to have him but I think those are fair questions teams should be looking at.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Adderall, I imagine, is a significantly stronger, better performing stimulant than, say, the greenies players took in the 70s and 80s to gain an edge. I wouldn't dismiss the benefits such a drug would give players out on the mound, given how much focus, concentration, and mental endurance are part of a good pitcher's make up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast