Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who do ya got at 43?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    This draft is full of HS LHPers so it would be nice to grab one of those at 43. I still think 43 might be the best spot in the draft to grab a high upside bat be it Boldt or someone who falls out of 1st round.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's some talk that there's going to be a run on bats in the first round due to there being so few in this draft. That should position the Twins quite well if they wanted to take a pitcher at 43. If Manaea slides to the second and slips by Houston at 42, I'd have a real tough time ignoring him, as they'd have their extra cash to throw at him and could grab a few cheaper college signs in later rounds as well. If he's not there, I think the Twins best strategy is to load up on higher upside prep players. There's lots of them in this draft, and they could spread their extra dollars around to acquire a few of them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    There's some talk that there's going to be a run on bats in the first round due to there being so few in this draft. That should position the Twins quite well if they wanted to take a pitcher at 43. If Manaea slides to the second and slips by Houston at 42, I'd have a real tough time ignoring him, as they'd have their extra cash to throw at him and could grab a few cheaper college signs in later rounds as well. If he's not there, I think the Twins best strategy is to load up on higher upside prep players. There's lots of them in this draft, and they could spread their extra dollars around to acquire a few of them.
    While getting Manaea in the second round would be amazing there is no possible way I see that happening. Even if it did I don't see the money to sign him unless we go McGuire #4 under slot. If Manaea is signable plenty of teams in front of us have better leverage to get him.

I completely agree that this is the perfect draft to load up on prep stars but in the pass that hasn't been the Twins MO. As Jeremy's draft break down shows they have always favored college pitchers to HS pitchers. While this draft is deep in college pitchers most are low ceiling high floor guys.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I preferred him to the college relief pitchers they took right before him. He would have been good 2nd round value but at the same time there were several players I preferred to him at the Twins spots. I think I'm the only person here that doesn't give local kids bonus points. I was born in Minnesota and it clearly didn't help me be a better baseball player.
    You're being too modest.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If either one of Minny lefty Tom Windle (SP) or Minny H.S. 'er Ryan Boldt (OF) are there (not sure they will be) thats likely who i'm grabbing.

Dylan Covey, Zach Eades the pitcher (first name escapes me) are some other decent names.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 83 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Ian Clarkin might be there at 43, thought the Twins would probably have to go over slot to get him (he's a college commit), so I'll say Ryan Eades. He's the type of "close to MLB ready", "polished arm" that the Twins like to target.
    Nailed it.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Nailed it.
    Want a cookie?

Just kidding, nice pick.

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I think I'm the only person here that doesn't give local kids bonus points. I was born in Minnesota and it clearly didn't help me be a better baseball player.
    It might have. How bad would you have been if you grew up in Florida or California?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    While were at it, Twins select Stuart Turner, C, University of Mississippi in the third round
    Holy Cow! Nailed this 1 Jun!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 83 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Want a cookie?

Just kidding, nice pick.
    Chocolate chip.
    Thanks.

Eades on ESPN2 now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Struggling with control...but looks like a defent pick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12