Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Great story from Rosenthal about Marquis' daughters' accident

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Great story from Rosenthal about Marquis' daughters' accident

Really scary. The whole story is here. And also mentions the involvement of a Twins' minor leaguer

Just glad that the kid is ok.

And still do not believe that all of the local writers (with their "access") could not write something like this up, but it took a national reporter...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Thanks for posting that.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Great story, I had been wondering what had happened. I have a 7 year old daughter so I was very curious about what kind of accident it could be. I'm very very glad that Rosenthal has that Access - and knows how to use it.

Great story, as a father of 8 and 5 year-olds, stories like this hit close to home. Glad to hear it looks like a happy outcome is in store.

Thanks for linking the story, thrylos. Does the possibility exist that Rosenthal (who is extremely plugged-in) has a good relationship with Marquis and was in a better position to do a story on such a sensitive, private family matter than the local media who have only had the opportunity to cover him for a handful of days? Your back-handed references to the media members with "access" are making you look kind of petty. Especially in a situation like this when we don't really know why Rosenthal got this story before the TC media did. Just my opinion, but you're hurting your own credibility by re-hashing the "access" topic. Let it go, man. Be better than that, rise above it, and keep churning out the great reading material.
    Last edited by @_2244; 04-04-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks for posting this, my daughter is an adult now, but I completely understand the emotions Marquis felt, and am glad the outcome is so positive.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On one note...I agree with @_2244. Please lets not start another flame war. It's not needed.

Scary stuff here. Just fell of her bike. Sometimes things like this happen. So glad shes ok. It's good that Marquis will start in AA so he can be close to home. I hope he can get his head straight and contribute to the team. He should dedicate this whole season to Reese and go dominate!
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful story by a great writer. What a horrific thing to happen, though. Such a simple accident which terrifies me as a father of a one-year-old. Small world with regard to the Bobby Lanigan connection.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great story. Thanks for finding it and calling out attention to it.

It's the kind of story every parent should read... and yet shouldn't read. We all have that thought that "anything could happen" but to keep ourselves sane, we try and block it. Marquis has baseball and a season with a new team relying on him to eat up innings to distract him, but it's truly inspirational to hear stories of athletes and their teams remembering that family comes first and foremost.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 86 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great, scary story.

My one question: Rosenthal says in the article that Marquis was going to New Britain so he could be closer to his daughter but didn't the Twins option him to Rochester?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,303 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very tough story for anyone to read who can correctly process this snippet:
    The doctors had emerged from the operating room with an update.
    Reese had only a 50-50 chance to live.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Great, scary story.

My one question: Rosenthal says in the article that Marquis was going to New Britain so he could be closer to his daughter but didn't the Twins option him to Rochester?
    Still nothing offical yet. They have another hour to make the move.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Great, scary story.

He is going to New Britain. Twins just confirmed too...

I think that the confusion was that Marquis (knowing where he was going) told Rosenthal and the Twins (as usually) kept their mouths shut to the beat writers of whom some assumed that he is going to Rochester. After it leaked that he is going to NB, the Twins confirmed and the beat writers wrote.
    -----

Very scary story, and I certainly hope young Miss Marquis makes a full recovery.

I kind of wish that MLB had better Family and Medical Leave rules. The Bereavement List lasts, at most, 7 days. If this had happened during the season, what would the Twins have been able to do? I suppose the same thing -- option him down. But that just seems dumb.

I was glad to read that she's doing better, and I'm happy that Jason and Twins were able to create a way for him to be near her.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten Brown View Post
    I kind of wish that MLB had better Family and Medical Leave rules. The Bereavement List lasts, at most, 7 days. If this had happened during the season, what would the Twins have been able to do? I suppose the same thing -- option him down. But that just seems dumb.

I was glad to read that she's doing better, and I'm happy that Jason and Twins were able to create a way for him to be near her.
    This is an interesting topic. MLB (like any other business) is subject to FMLA but the teams are kinda screwed if that happens...
    -----

Liked 1,287 Times in 743 Posts
    Thanks for the link. Someone read parts of this story to me this morning but I wasn't sure who had written the column. Rosenthal does a nice job. So glad this story is likely to have a happy ending. What a great day it will be for the Marquis family when Reese goes home.

In addition to all the other emotions and thoughts this raises, it got me thinking about the benefits of the technological age. I'm sure technology was beneficial to the doctors but the ability for Jason to be in close contact and see daily video, etc. once he is back with the Twins is priceless. What a benefit to ballplayers of this generation.