Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Is this the longest middle infield combo the Twins have had in a while?

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is this the longest middle infield combo the Twins have had in a while?

It is the 1st of June and still the middle infield has stayed intact. With Dozier at 2ed and Floirmon at short. Which is surprising with no one thinking either of these guys were legitimate Major League starters.

And with all the recent struggles the Twins have had in the middle infield they seem I have a new combo each season and they always demote one 2ed/SS and bring up a new one because it failed. So my question is, is this the longest a middle infield combo has lasted, in maybe the last five years? If not please include who did out play Dozier and Floirmon.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sad note: Here are the potential second baseman OPS--Escobar .625 (fueled by a hot April), Dozier .558 and Carroll .551. Not much to choose from offensively, but all three are capable defenders.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    This might be the longest I don't know, but my guess it is fueled more by lack of alternatives than by stellar play. Add in the fact that the Twins are already, and were expected to be, slipping from contention and there isn't pressure, either from the need to win or from a prospect, to make a change.

The AAA alternatives are both MiLB journeyman and at AA Santana isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with his .680ish OPS and 18ish errors.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I was thinking yesterday that if Dozier picks up his bat a bit and Flori keeps playing as well as he has, they could be the prototypical "defensive middle infield" on our team in 2015-16 when Sano, Arcia, Hicks, Buxton, Mauer, et al. will more than carry the offense. Right now, of course, we need more offense out of those positions to pick up a lack of it elsewhere. But if we have 3-4 guys hitting 20-30 HRs and slugging north of .450 they would be valuable pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    I was thinking yesterday that if Dozier picks up his bat a bit and Flori keeps playing as well as he has, they could be the prototypical "defensive middle infield" on our team in 2015-16 when Sano, Arcia, Hicks, Buxton, Mauer, et al. will more than carry the offense. Right now, of course, we need more offense out of those positions to pick up a lack of it elsewhere. But if we have 3-4 guys hitting 20-30 HRs and slugging north of .450 they would be valuable pieces.
    I like the thought, but where's Rosario in this scenario? Traded away for pitching? Or, would that spell the end of Dozier?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTwins View Post
    I like the thought, but where's Rosario in this scenario? Traded away for pitching? Or, would that spell the end of Dozier?
    If we have a better option like Rosario ready to contribute then by all means, move Dozier to utility or trade either of them for prospects. My only point is that it feels good to have those pieces in place right now, not dependent on another player developing.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTwins View Post
    No way do the Twins trade Rosario if he's at second. The way the Twins cultivate MI prospects, he's a once-in-a-generation player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Dozier has been bad bad bad offensively. He would need to pick up his offensive numbers considerably, add somewhere around 150 to his OPS in order to be considered even adequate at 2nd base.

Ive been as hard on Florimon as anyone as I dont think he's a legit major leaguer on a good team, but he's FAR exceeded my expectations. 2 good months dont make you a real player tho. Want to see it continue.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 803 Times in 506 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I kind of hope Rosario keeps hitting and Dozier can have a 2014 like his AA season a couple years back... then gets traded for some help.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not buying Dozier. He's not good enough yet. Rosario would be much much better. Florimon might just have it.