View Poll Results: If Appel, Bryant & Moran are picked 1-3, who should Twins select?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gray

35 94.59%
  • Stewart

1 2.70%
  • McGuire (and save $)

1 2.70%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: Poll: Draft Scenario 3

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Poll: Draft Scenario 3

In his mock draft yesterday (http://twinsdaily.com/twins-minor-le...tml#post118648) Keith Law had Jonathan Gray, stud college pitching prospect, falling to the Twins, but the Twins passed on him to draft Kohl Stewart, stud high school pitching prospect. Would you?

Again, I'm sorry that you need to register with Twins Daily to vote on these. I wish you didn't. But if you register, you won't be sorry.
    Last edited by John Bonnes; 06-01-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 71 Posts
    This one seems like a no brainer. BPA = Gray and Need = Gray. I'd fire off that pick without a second thought.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Sheesh that is a tough one. I would be happy with either the Twins chose. They are both high upside picks and if there were something we don't know about Gray that scares the Twins I would have no problem with Stewart.

Gray would be a great pick but Law has this backwards. Gray will be gone before Appel.
    I think there is a decent chance Appel drops to (at least) the Twins because (supposedly) he's wants the moon and he has Boras as an agent. Bryant supposedly more rational even though Boras is said to be advising him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Law said he heard the Cubs higher ups love Appel and that's why he has him there.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    Look, I don't pretend to have seen these people play or really know that much about guys who aren't even in professional ball much less the majors, but it strikes me as odd that the Twins would consider taking Stewart over Gray when the latter has been considered so good that he's among the consensus "big three."

1) We've been hearing for quite some time that there's a dropoff after these three players. If you miraculously get one at four, you take him.

2) What with college and football both possibilities for Stewart, you're not saving any money with him over Gray.

3) The consensus also seems to hold that Gray and Stewart have similar top-of-the-rotation ceilings. With the same ceiling, don't you want the one who's closer to the majors?

Again, I won't pretend to any special knowledge, but I think this is the most lopsided scenario of the ones you've posted.

Gray is the much safer pick, easy choice in my book. I'd think the Twins would have to be doing cartwheels if he fell to number 4.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless the Twins know something that everyone else doesn't, I think this is a no brainer. You take Gray.

That said, I also would not be surprised in the least if Selig has had a conversation with Houston and Chicago asking that Mr. Appel goes 1 or 2. Call it a gut feel, but if Appel slides again, there could be a potential legal challenge coming...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Unless the Twins know something that everyone else doesn't...
    When has that ever happened?

These polls make for a nice discussion, but there is a "consensus top three"--and Minnesota selects 4th (Hasn't this happened mnay times over the years?). If one of the three "falls"--you take him--no questions asked! That being the case I would be more than surprised if that happened. Both Houston and Chicago are "high revenue" franchises and don't need to "save money". Two years (three seems certain, four inevitable) of selecting very early and a strong system should have been built. They (H&C) clearly can open the checkbook to buy talent to serve as cornerstones. Colorado, can't--so they must take a "high probability" guy. The Twins need to correct their biggest deficiencies--starting pitching and HR hitting. Anything else would be foolish.

I enjoy these scenarios, keep them coming!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    When has that ever happened?

These polls make for a nice discussion, but there is a "consensus top three"--and Minnesota selects 4th (Hasn't this happened mnay times over the years?). If one of the three "falls"--you take him--no questions asked! That being the case I would be more than surprised if that happened. Both Houston and Chicago are "high revenue" franchises and don't need to "save money". Two years (three seems certain, four inevitable) of selecting very early and a strong system should have been built. They (H&C) clearly can open the checkbook to buy talent to serve as cornerstones. Colorado, can't--so they must take a "high probability" guy. The Twins need to correct their biggest deficiencies--starting pitching and HR hitting. Anything else would be foolish.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Houston is a "high revenue" team. In fact, I think they are one of the lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Houston is a "high revenue" team. In fact, I think they are one of the lowest.
    And I don't think they were trying to save money, just trying to allocate it differently.