View Poll Results: Appel and Gray are gone, but Bryant and others are on the board. Your pick is:

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kris Bryant

52 76.47%
  • Kohl Stewart

15 22.06%
  • A remaining college pitcher (Stanek, Shipley, Manaea)

1 1.47%
  • Reese McGuire

0 0%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Draft Scenario 2

Any pitcher is a risk. Look at what happened to Gibson and Wimmers. I'd still take Gray (or Appel) if they fall to us. A rotation of May, Gibson, Gray, Meyer and a another from Wimmers, Deduno, Diamond, Worley, Hendriks, Berrios, Baxendale is just to tempting. It would be so nice to have 3 or 4 top or near top of rotation guys to go along with Sano, Rosario, Arcia, Buxton, Pinto, Hicks in a few years. It's a chance of a lifetime to put together a really balanced team. 20 years from now we might look back at this era as the glory days of Twins baseball. If no pitcher drops and Houston takes Moran, definitely Bryant over a high school kid.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Imagine a 2016 starting lineup of...

CF - Byron Buxton (R)
    C - Joe Mauer (L)
    3B/1B - Miguel Sano (R)
    LF - Oswaldo Arcia (L)
    1B/3B - Kris Bryant (R)
    DH - Kenny Vargas (L)
    RF - Aaron Hicks (S)
    2B - Eddie Rosario (L)
    SS - Santana, Goodrum, Polanco

or a rotation of...

1. Alex Meyer
    2. Kyle Gibson
    3. Trevor May
    4. Alex Wimmers
    5a. Jose Berrios

5b. Kohl Stewart (called up in June)

I like the bat. I can't wait till 2016 to see a HS pitcher.
    If the Twins are drafting 3 and 4 sure, but getting stewart and Bryant in this draft would be pretty impressive

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    Any pitcher is a risk. Look at what happened to Gibson and Wimmers. I'd still take Gray (or Appel) if they fall to us. A rotation of May, Gibson, Gray, Meyer and a another from Wimmers, Deduno, Diamond, Worley, Hendriks, Berrios, Baxendale is just to tempting. It would be so nice to have 3 or 4 top or near top of rotation guys to go along with Sano, Rosario, Arcia, Buxton, Pinto, Hicks in a few years. It's a chance of a lifetime to put together a really balanced team. 20 years from now we might look back at this era as the glory days of Twins baseball. If no pitcher drops and Houston takes Moran, definitely Bryant over a high school kid.
    The big reason why you need multiple top of the rotation guys is that injury/ineffectiveness will bit... period.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm still going to go Stewart. I'd rather have a guy that can be one of the best 20 pitchers in the game than a guy that might be one of the top 5 players at their position. Elite (not even Ace) pitchers are worth more than elite position players. Would the Dodgers trade Kershaw straight up for Mauer?

I don't get the argument about when he arrives. The Twins top prospects are not going to be arriving in force until 2015 anyway, so I don't really see the big deal of waiting another year to see a potentially great pitcher. Also, the argument about a HS kid being a risk, they are no more risky than a college guy.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

In my opinion, Kohl Stewart is the clear number 4 in this draft (behind Gray, Appel and Bryant). If any of the big 3 are available to the Twins, I would hope that the Twins would not pass on them. In this scenario, I would gladly take Bryant.

Alright Mr Bonnes... I created a profile. This does go against my policy on doing things though. Only hope you will be able to live with that. Love the site and have followed it for some time. The articles and comments are usually done well. They contain a lot of good analysis and insight.
    Had to go with Bryant. You can never have enough power hitters.

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgwills View Post
    Alright Mr Bonnes... I created a profile. This does go against my policy on doing things though. Only hope you will be able to live with that. Love the site and have followed it for some time. The articles and comments are usually done well. They contain a lot of good analysis and insight.
    Had to go with Bryant. You can never have enough power hitters.
    Glad my nagging had an effect. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Elite (not even Ace) pitchers are worth more than elite position players. Would the Dodgers trade Kershaw straight up for Mauer?
    That's not a fair comparison. If Mauer and Kershaw were available in the same draft every team in the league takes Mauer first.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    That's not a fair comparison. If Mauer and Kershaw were available in the same draft every team in the league takes Mauer first.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Twins almost drafted Mark Prior instead of Mauer. The reason they went with Mauer is because Prior's dad let it be known he wasn't interested in playing for the Twins and wouldn't sign. From Ryan's own mouth he says they were split right down the middle. 50/50.

The Cubs GM at the time is on record as saying he was taking whoever the Twins didn't take.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12