Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Appel and Gray are gone, but Bryant and others are on the board. Your pick is:

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kris Bryant

52 76.47%
  • Kohl Stewart

15 22.06%
  • A remaining college pitcher (Stanek, Shipley, Manaea)

1 1.47%
  • Reese McGuire

0 0%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Draft Scenario 2

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries

Poll: Draft Scenario 2

Something happens in the top three such that the pitchers Appel and Gray are taken BUT Kris Bryant (today's profiled player) is still on the board. With the 4th pick. You have the same options as in yesterday's poll, but now you can add Bryant, who is widely considered the best (remaining) player available, but who is a hitter. Do you choose:

a. Kris Bryant
    b. Kohl Stewart, RHP with the most upside but most risk AND he won't be arriving to majors until 2017 most likely
    c. a college pitcher like Stanek, Shipley, Manaea, etc. - less risk, less upside, but a probably arrives by at least a year or two before Stewart.
    d. Reese McGuire and use the $1.3M on other picks

Again, I'll love your votes (which I'll try to open up to non-members) but I'd really like your comments.

Ugh. There is no option to open this up to non-members. Please register with Twins Daily to vote on the poll.
    Last edited by John Bonnes; 05-31-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Evan Longoria, Ryan Zimmerman and Ryan Braun turned out pretty good...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Sluggers are worth the risk--he might start April 2014--and HIT! Four years later--can trade him for two quality starting pitchers and two bench types.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    This would require the Astros to take Moran and the two pitchers going 2 and 3. I think the Rockies are more likely to take Bryant than either pitcher, from what I've read, but if he's there at #4, I'd take him. Appel is the only player I'd have ahead of Bryant.

With him, Sano, Walker, Arcia etc the Twins would have some very impressive power bats in their system.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It'd be a disappointment to not get a pitcher, but I'm more confident (if WAGs from the uninformed can actually contain confidence, anyway) in Kris Bryant being a legit player than the other choices. Getting a #1 pitcher might be better in the long-term, but my confidence isn't as high they get a standout pitcher as it is in Bryant being a standout. You want draft choices that high to become strong big leaguers some day, whoever is most likely to (Bryant) gets my vote.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Always take BPA and while I don't know who it is on the Twins actual board, I do on mine. Bryant.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Always take BPA and while I don't know who it is on the Twins actual board, I do on mine. Bryant.
    BPA is a lazy man's way of saying "this guy". People don't have BPA stamped on them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    BPA is a lazy man's way of saying "this guy". People don't have BPA stamped on them.
    this is a lazy way of saying I can't make a decision so take a pitcher because it's a position of need.

None of us are professional scouts but there seems to be an industry consensus that Bryant is the third best player in this draft. Do you disagree with them?

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kohl Stewart is interesting, simply because of his great potential. The Twins need pitching, but I don't know if I'd take the risk of drafting a high school pitcher (who will hit the majors in 2017 if we're lucky) just because the 2013-2014 Twins need starters. I'd go with Bryant. Take the bat and hope you have too many talented hitters and not enough positions to play them. That's a good problem to have.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I'm pretty sure I noted Bryant would be the BPA for me. How is that lazy? That's accurate.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I voted Stewart, though I'll admit that Bryant is quite the consolation prize. I'd be more concerned about the Twins hitting like Detroit the second half of the decade and having a pitching rotation that's at best average.... That team will win a lot of slugfests, but get bounced from the playoffs (or not even make it)... Pitching wins games.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I noted Bryant would be the BPA for me. How is that lazy? That's accurate.
    I picked Bryant too--but I don't claim he's the BPA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    As much as it chaps my hide not getting another high quality pitching prospect, BPA is the correct answer 99% of the time. Consensus on that is Bryant. If that changes, or if our scouts evaluate things differently, then so be it. But who right now is complaining that Byron Buxton will play for the Minnesota Twins? No one, but there were plenty of folks who griped after the draft last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Imagine a 2016 starting lineup of...

CF - Byron Buxton (R)
    C - Joe Mauer (L)
    3B/1B - Miguel Sano (R)
    LF - Oswaldo Arcia (L)
    1B/3B - Kris Bryant (R)
    DH - Kenny Vargas (L)
    RF - Aaron Hicks (S)
    2B - Eddie Rosario (L)
    SS - Santana, Goodrum, Polanco

or a rotation of...

1. Alex Meyer
    2. Kyle Gibson
    3. Trevor May
    4. Alex Wimmers
    5a. Jose Berrios

5b. Kohl Stewart (called up in June)

I like the bat. I can't wait till 2016 to see a HS pitcher.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In this scenario, I take Bryant after pondering it for like .000038659 seconds.

I like the idea of Kohl Stewart, but not the risk associated with him or the amount of time it will take to get him to the Twins.

Bryant will be like Mike Zunino with the Mariners (already in AAA knocking on the door less than a year after being drafted), except Bryant is an even better hitter than Zunino. Plug him in at 1B and get him to the Twins ASAP.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Imagine a 2016 starting lineup of...

CF - Byron Buxton (R)
    C - Joe Mauer (L)
    3B/1B - Miguel Sano (R)
    LF - Oswaldo Arcia (L)
    1B/3B - Kris Bryant (R)
    DH - Kenny Vargas (L)
    RF - Aaron Hicks (S)
    2B - Eddie Rosario (L)
    SS - Santana, Goodrum, Polanco

or a rotation of...

1. Alex Meyer
    2. Kyle Gibson
    3. Trevor May
    4. Alex Wimmers
    5a. Jose Berrios

5b. Kohl Stewart (called up in June)

I like the bat. I can't wait till 2016 to see a HS pitcher.
    For those are so very enthusiastic about that lineup, exchanging Buxton for Appel makes for a stronger team in the playoffs. Methinks that Ryan's selection of Buxton over Appel had one or two (unnamed) factors in the decision rubric. I think Ryan will use this same rubric this year.
    Last edited by Kwak; 05-31-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Even if we agree on BPA being the best strategy, I think it is far from clear which of Bryant or Stewart is the BPA. How do you really compare a college slugger to a high school pitcher? I think the "clear consensus" that Appel, Gray, and Bryant are the top three in the draft has a hefty dose of risk-aversion built in, as I've read that Stewart has a higher ceiling than Gray or Appel. My pick would be Stewart over Bryant, and I should probably stay away from Vegas.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had to go with the majority and take Bryant. I love Stewart and all his potential, but Bryant's bat is too good to pass up. I envision Bryant and Sano hitting back-to-back triple-deckers at Target Field.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssuperdave View Post
    I think the "clear consensus" that Appel, Gray, and Bryant are the top three in the draft has a hefty dose of risk-aversion built in....
    I thnk that's accurate. But that's a pretty good thing oth a #4 pick, because they don't come along real often. (Though it might next year.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I've always been a guy saying if the players are similar pick the pitcher as it is a need. However in this case I don't think they are similar. I think Bryant looks to be an elite prospect. I also like Stewart and he's far and away my #4 but Bryant looks like he possibly could be a once in a generation player (along with Buxton and Sano of course!) as could Gray and Appel. My opinion is that Stewart is not anywhere close to them at this point; I think the drop off is pretty big.

On a side note, it seems like Bryant is nearly a given to the Rockies at #3. I don't think this is the case. Colorado has put a new emphisis on pitching development. They have taken the unique approach by hiring two pitching coaches and obviously pitching for them is as strong of a need as it is for the Twins. Even if Appel and Gray are off the board, I would not be surprised if Stewart was their pick assuming Colorado doesn't share my opinion on Bryant. They also have a much stronger history of picking pitchers in the 1st round. Of course most have failed so that may disway them.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 05-31-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast