Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Twins on way back w/future stars

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Heyman: Twins on way back w/future stars

I love when the Twins minor league affiliates and minor leaguers get some national recognition. Jon Heyman wrote an article talking about how the team is on its way back thanks to a great farm system. You have to love quotes like this:

One National League general manager recently volunteered that the Twins have the "best farm system in baseball." A rival scout said that center fielder Byron Buxton, the No. 2 overall pick from last year's draft, is "the best player I ever saw."
    And that's just the first paragraph.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    That's awesome. I love Sano but I'm so happy we have Buxton. Klaw just reorganized his prospects and put him #2 overall. Yesterday he wrote that if Buxton turns into a 7-8 WAR player, the Astros will always be reminded of that.

And Kepler hasn't even played yet.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Who is #1?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Who is #1?
    Cardinals' OF Oscar Tavares.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Who is #1?
    Oscar Travares. Uber Cardinals center fielder prospect. 21 year old beating up on AAA pitching.

I really hope Sano, Vargas and Rosario move up to AA sooner rather than later this season. They seem to have showed enough at Hi A and baseball is a sport where you can always find failure in stats. They don't have anyone "blocking" them in terms of their positions, and I feel they should be given a shot against the other elite prospects in baseball who normally reside in AA.

The same goes for Buxton. Get him to Hi A and see what he can do for the rest of the year. If he does very well, which I expect, it would position him to start next year at AA with Sano, Rosario and Vargas.

I understand that we could see these promotions after the all star break which I am fine with, but any longer just seems silly.

Also, what does Danny Ortiz need to do to get promoted to AAA. He is due to move up as well.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper0080 View Post
    Also, what does Danny Ortiz need to do to get promoted to AAA. He is due to move up as well.
    Seems like Ortiz has started out extremely hot the last 2 or 3 years, only to go on and extremely struggle for the rest of it. Would like to see him maintain his performance for a little while longer.

Think it was 2011, but he hit like 7 or 8 HR's in the first month or so of the season to go along with a .350ish batting average, but finished the season with 10 HR's total and a below .250 average.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It should be the big 4... Arcia gets no love.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who is #1?
    You are #6.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I love when the Twins minor league affiliates and minor leaguers get some national recognition. Jon Heyman wrote an article talking about how the team is on its way back thanks to a great farm system. You have to love quotes like this:

And that's just the first paragraph.
    Okay. That just makes me giddy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Oscar Travares. Uber Cardinals center fielder prospect. 21 year old beating up on AAA pitching.
    I've heard he probably isn't a CF long-term, but his bat plays in the corners also.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    You are #6.
    I'm guessing like .001% of TD participants have a clue what your reference is...(unless...did they repeat that line in the awful series remake? I couldn't bring myself to watching it).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Tavares is hitting .321 with an OBP of .351. Good numbers, but hardly "feeding on" numbers. Buxton at nearly .340 & .400+ is much more of a feeder, but granted it's low A.
    Last edited by Ncgo4; 06-01-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I've done further checking on this "‹ber" prospect. If that's what he is then Sano is the Iron Man and Buxton is Superman. Buxton is on pace to have more SB's by mid season than Tavares will have in 4 1/2 years. He has not demo'd any real power and a PCL BA of less than .333? There was even some comment that he will likely not hold his position because of lack of arm strength. The more I checked, the less I get it. Sano, Arcia & Buxton each seem to be much stronger prospects. But, then again, I admit to being a homer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    I've done further checking on this "‹ber" prospect. If that's what he is then Sano is the Iron Man and Buxton is Superman. Buxton is on pace to have more SB's by mid season than Tavares will have in 4 1/2 years. He has not demo'd any real power and a PCL BA of less than .333? There was even some comment that he will likely not hold his position because of lack of arm strength. The more I checked, the less I get it. Sano, Arcia & Buxton each seem to be much stronger prospects. But, then again, I admit to being a homer.
    taveras has freakish hitting skills and is a lefty version of miggy cabrera who will provide above avg. defense at a corner of spot. he's at 3-a and only a year and a half older than buxton and as prospect evaluators point out, you heavily weight the upper minor experience at a relatively young age. with that as a benchmark, taveras' season last year at 2-a was special.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    You mostly looked at irrelevant stats.

SB's are overrated for a slugging corner OF (he's not a CF but could make it work in the majors).

A 30 game sample size of stats from someone that has had some family issues (IIRC) and at least one minor injury disrupting his first two months.

He's a pure masher that basically destroyed AA last season at age 19/20. However I think buxton and/or Sano will be considered better prospects when they have played in AA/AAA but right now Taveras has played against better comp and retains the top spot (and I agree).

Yep, as others have said it's all about Taveras being at a higher level, and his age. The guy has very special contact skills with some pretty legit power as well.

Buxton is likely a better prospect, but he's only at low A so Keith isn't ready to put him at #1 yet. It's not really a big deal because by next year Buxton may be #1 on the majority of lists and Sano will be top 5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Level and MLB readiness play a huge factor in prospect rankings. Which should help provide some insight into just how big a monster Buxton potentially is that he is in Low A and is ranked #2 overall.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper0080 View Post
    I really hope Sano, Vargas and Rosario move up to AA sooner rather than later this season. They seem to have showed enough at Hi A and baseball is a sport where you can always find failure in stats. They don't have anyone "blocking" them in terms of their positions, and I feel they should be given a shot against the other elite prospects in baseball who normally reside in AA.

The same goes for Buxton. Get him to Hi A and see what he can do for the rest of the year. If he does very well, which I expect, it would position him to start next year at AA with Sano, Rosario and Vargas.

I understand that we could see these promotions after the all star break which I am fine with, but any longer just seems silly.
    I'm surprised no one has commented on Heyman's scout's comment concerning the Twins slow-play on Sano- who is ridiculously leading his League in OPS by over 200 points:

"The scout said Sano has been at High A Ft. Myers too long and implied he's wasting his time there. "Get him out," he said of the slugger who's hitting .343 with 13 homers and 41 RBI."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast