The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 78 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins 2012 Season Preview

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    The Bullpen is the most frustrating aspect of the 2012 Twins.
    The Free Agent Market was saturated with reasonably price Bullpen Arms with proven track records.The Bullpen is a question mark, because saving a few million dollars is more important. Anything good that is accomplished by this Team, can easily be destroyed by a bad Bullpen. A penny wise and pound foolish.
    Last edited by Highabove; 04-04-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick,

I can't argue your points with much passion. Well thought out piece and agree with much of what you have here. If last year was the bottom then this year starts the progress back I hope, my worry like yours is pitching. Not only at the Major League Level but in the Minors. I am seeing a lot of bats, but not a abundance of arms that inspires me. Maybe this draft coming up can add some of that, but in the draft I think sometimes you need to catch lightning in a bottle. Enjoy the articles.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 758 Times in 472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The pen will succeed/fail with the rotation. If the starters can go 6-7 consistently, the pen, while not dominant, will be fine. If they cannot, look out below.

I agree, we need our starters going at least 5 innings. We cant afford those 3 inning/5 run starts all the time....

The Twins organization and its beat writers are trying to give the opening of this season as much of a positive of a spin as possible. However, looking at the roster it reminds me of rosters from the early 80s or late 90s -- last place clubs. There are too many holes in the fabric and you have to ask, "Who in the A.L. are they better than?" If you're honest you have to say "nobody." (Maybe Seattle or the White Sox.) Some of the young guys are going to have to break through to avoid being cellar dwellers by late April. I hesitantly predict that this year's Twins team will finish 66-96.

Well Nick, you were dead right about this time last year; it gives me hope to see you forecasting an appreciable improvement.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the Twins favor - 57 games against the likes of Cleveland, Kansas City and Chicago. Competitive but not juggernauts.

I'm excited about some of the hitters "getting hot at the right time" or "having a good spring", but when I use this same thought process for the bullpen, I get sad. Oh, well. Here's to homer optimism.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Likely

Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    The Bullpen is the most frustrating aspect of the 2012 Twins.
    The Free Agent Market was saturated with reasonably price Bullpen Arms with proven track records.The Bullpen is a question mark, because saving a few million dollars is more important. Anything good that is accomplished by this Team, can easily be destroyed by a bad Bullpen. A penny wise and pound foolish.
    Likely this is accurate. Who knows? But, keeping Capps was just a terrible decision. Is there a worse closer in the game? I think he's worse than Ron Davis, the worst so-called closer in Twins history, i.e. a closer who can not close. Can't see them having anything but a losing season with him on-board.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hope springs eternal - it always does at this time of year!

But seriously, I think we'll see a better team than last year. How much better remains to be seen. Most of the "experts" have us finishing 5th. I think we'll do better than that.

I think this lineup will be able to put runs on the board and the rotation could be solid. But it's defense and the bullpen that worry me. If we see a lot of extra outs and blown leads, it will be one hell of a long season.

The fate of this season will hinge largely on how well the team is able to handle the brutal early schedule. After Baltimore, it gets ugly - 28 of the next 36 are against the Angels, Yankees, Rangers, Rays, Red Sox, Jays and Tigers.

It softens up quite a bit after that, so if the Twins can get through that stretch in tact, they might even be able to hang in long enough to make it interesting. OTOH, if last year's team show's up, this thing could be over by Mother's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by baseball_insighter View Post
    The Twins organization and its beat writers are trying to give the opening of this season as much of a positive of a spin as possible. However, looking at the roster it reminds me of rosters from the early 80s or late 90s -- last place clubs. There are too many holes in the fabric and you have to ask, "Who in the A.L. are they better than?" If you're honest you have to say "nobody." (Maybe Seattle or the White Sox.) Some of the young guys are going to have to break through to avoid being cellar dwellers by late April. I hesitantly predict that this year's Twins team will finish 66-96.
    Agree 100%. The media is drinking the kool aid and eating up the propaganda the Twins are putting out. Bottom line: the Twins have worst pitching in MLB other than the Astros. With terrible pitching, little power, injury prone players, and no top level prospects I just don't see how this can end any better than a 75 win season. In the end, Terry Ryan will blame it on injuries or inexperience but his terrible offseason and the Mauer albatross contract are issues no one can overcome. I just hope Liriano and Pavano are decent enough that the Twins can cash in their only tradeable assets for some more worthless prospects that they scouted poorly.

Liked 1,625 Times in 808 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    Likely this is accurate. Who knows? But, keeping Capps was just a terrible decision. Is there a worse closer in the game? .
    The other bad part about bringing him back is that he cost as much as two or three equal or better relievers who signed for much less than the deal Capps got. That's a whole new bullpen, instead of the spare parts they ended up with.

It also shows they're a dumb organization that thinks they should pay for saves like it's fantasy baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    The other bad part about bringing him back is that he cost as much as two or three equal or better relievers who signed for much less than the deal Capps got. That's a whole new bullpen, instead of the spare parts they ended up with.

It also shows they're a dumb organization that thinks they should pay for saves like it's fantasy baseball.
    Terry Ryan is clueless. He will pay for Saves, RBI, and Wins which are probably the 3 most meaningless stat categories period. The fact that Ryan forfieted a 1st round draft pick to overpay for Capps is the DEBACLE of the offseason in all of MLB. TERRY SHOULD BE FIRED!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    Likely this is accurate. Who knows? But, keeping Capps was just a terrible decision. Is there a worse closer in the game? I think he's worse than Ron Davis, the worst so-called closer in Twins history, i.e. a closer who can not close. Can't see them having anything but a losing season with him on-board.
    I know 2010 was really really long ago, but...

Look at the past decade of the Twins. Every year that people have doubted them, they have done well. But when the media and the fans think that they are gonna have a good year(2007 and 2011 most notably), they don't do very well. The Twins respond to the doubters with wins. I'm not saying we are a great team, but at the end of the year people will be surprised at how well they played. I agree with what you said, but don't be surprised if we end up making a run at the playoffs.

On a side note, this blog kicks major ass. I am absolutely loving it. Keep up with the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    Terry Ryan is clueless. He will pay for Saves, RBI, and Wins which are probably the 3 most meaningless stat categories period. The fact that Ryan forfieted a 1st round draft pick to overpay for Capps is the DEBACLE of the offseason in all of MLB. TERRY SHOULD BE FIRED!
    You forget that there is development costs associated with a 1st round draft pick, and the Twins already stockpiled some from their own poor performance and with the departure of other FAs. They would have had to go out and sign someone else to be the closer, who will have the same shaky track record of Capps, unless they are going to spend even more money, and then spend a few million more to develop a high draft pick that still probably doesn't pan out. Early in the offseason, all I saw from Twins' fans was that they should sign Broxton, who signed with KC for slightly less than what Capps signed for. Broxton's numbers are comparable/slightly worse than Capps', and he's coming off a season with some pretty significant injury concerns.

Rip on Terry Ryan all you want- he was put into a tough position this offseason and he's done what he could. My biggest issue with him is signing Carroll... it seems that he could have done much better there. But regardless, the guy put out competitive teams while he was the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I know 2010 was really really long ago, but...
    It apparently was. People on here and people on ESPN all seem to assume that because MN was 99 loss bad in 2011, that they'll be awful in 2012. I guess sports memory is only one season long. *Exception- you are a CWS fan and think that the 2005 world series just happened.

I think the Twins will be fine this year. Not great, but slightly above .500.