Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klaw: Astros reverse course and taking Moran

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
    I still have a hard time buying the Moran talk. A likely 1B with little power potential is nowhere near the top of my wish list. Perhaps all the Moran steam is simply a negotiating tactic with Gray. If KLaw has Gray dropping that far (no way past the Twins!) perhaps he and Boras would be more reasonable in their demands.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The more I think of it the more this sounds fishy.
    Bryant? Maybe.
    Moran? I find that hard to believe. (some scouts don't like his bat speed)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 122 Posts
    I want this to be true but it is tough to believe. However, Moran isn't a slouch. He's an on base machine - he's walking about 4x as often as he's striking out. He should have gap power if not HR power.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I still have a hard time buying the Moran talk. A likely 1B with little power potential is nowhere near the top of my wish list. Perhaps all the Moran steam is simply a negotiating tactic with Gray. If KLaw has Gray dropping that far (no way past the Twins!) perhaps he and Boras would be more reasonable in their demands.
    This. I think this is a negotiation tactic to try and get one of the arms at some sort of discount even if it is only a few hundred thousand. The Astros didn't play their hand till the last second last year so I doubt they would do it 3 weeks early this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    This. I think this is a negotiation tactic to try and get one of the arms at some sort of discount even if it is only a few hundred thousand. The Astros didn't play their hand till the last second last year so I doubt they would do it 3 weeks early this year.
    I agree with you, though they may have decided to play their hand early in order to signal to a bunch of high school players that there will potentially be a lot of money available later in the draft, as to keep their signing demands high. This would potentially increase the number of good players they would have available in the second round and later. This has always been the biggest risk with signing someone under-slot with the plan of spending that money later - there is no guarantee that there will be players worth the extra money once your pick comes around again. Now with the Astros (and to a less extent the Twins) publically saying they are willing to save money for later, any player with leverage (high school or college junior) slotted to go in the last half of the first round could make demands for more than they usually would (say around $2.5M+) and make an extra $500K. It is obviously a risky game to play (for both the team and the players), but the more good players that drop, the better the chances the Astros could snag 2 or 3 of them in the later rounds.

Makes me wonder if the Twins didn't become so focused on Stewart that the possibility of Gray being available took them by surprise.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    The thing is front offices are just now meeting and putting together their draft boards. When Jeremy interviewed Johnson he mentioned it takes about a full week with everyone together to make a 900 person board. I just feel this information was leaked so early that it has to be for negotiation reasons.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 758 Times in 472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Standard operating procedure for them, is it not.

Also:
    Attachment 4236

Free advice to the Astros, that.
    Lacking a brain and bat speed, yet Houston is considering him 1 overall?

Who exactly thinks Moran has poor bat speed? He's a solid player, maybe not top 3 worthy but certainly in the next tier.

Scouting Report: Colin Moran (3B) | Baseball Prospect Nation

Summation: The guy can hit. He has the approach, discipline, simple swing, plate coverage and bat speed to hit for a solid average against high-level professional pitching. He will find the gaps with regularity and he will have 10-15 home run power just by virtue of him driving mistake pitches and some of his doubles carrying over the fence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12