Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins MLB Draft Profile: Reese McGuire, C

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Any team that makes a first round pick based on defense needs a new front office. As much as some may like to think defense is the most important part of baseball, it isn't. At least not any longer. It's about pitching and driving the ball.

Stay away, not a safe pick, not a smart pick, it's just wrong.
    I agree with Grover, if the Twins want to go underslot pick Shipley. Though I would not be happy if they went underslot.
    Hear, here! There can't be many clubs left in baseball that adhere to such archaic thinking about prioritizations. Though the baseball draft isn't like football or basketball, there would still be yet more brewing of discontent among the Twin fanbase paying public should the FO choose to take such a foolhardy path with a very, very valuable #4 pick. There are FA options for proven catchers....why?? why?? why??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    While Gausman is up now his first outing wasn't what you call a quality start. Wacha is pitching this week but who knows how it will turn out. A limited amount of innings from either, heck both, these players doesn't make the Twins a play off team. Take the best player regardless of time till the majors. Outside of the uber elite rookies most struggle their first year or two anyways.

Now is McGuire the best player at 4? No way I could see it. Personally, i have about 10+ prospects ahead of him. As people have said above if you are going under slot take Shipley but you better hope some big names fall.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I've stated, I would probably lean toward Stewart or Stanek at this point. I'm just not going to pretend I know more about these players and their tools and upsides than the Twins scouts or others.

(Note - I also went on the record last year and said I would have taken Gausman.)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    While Gausman is up now his first outing wasn't what you call a quality start. Wacha is pitching this week but who knows how it will turn out. A limited amount of innings from either, heck both, these players doesn't make the Twins a play off team. Take the best player regardless of time till the majors. Outside of the uber elite rookies most struggle their first year or two anyways.

Now is McGuire the best player at 4? No way I could see it. Personally, i have about 10+ prospects ahead of him. As people have said above if you are going under slot take Shipley but you better hope some big names fall.

True, but having no pitchers on the roster helps the Twins even less......it is about more than one piece, not just one piece. True, Gausmann gave up 4 runs, one on a 3 run homer to a guy that hits a lot of HRs......but talk about SSS, and he and Wacha are in the majors. Like it or not, odds are that Buxton never even makes it that far, he's only in low A ball.

I won't repeat what I would have done, you can find it elsewhere on the site,a nd Seth hates it when I type the same thing in thread after thread.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Odds are that Buxton never even makes it that far? In Law's updated prospect list he moved Buxton to #2. Good chance he ends the year in high-A. HS players do have a higher bust rate than college players but that doesn't mean every one busts at the same rate. Once again, the Twins took the safest/quickest to the bigs player in Wimmers a few years ago and how has that turned out?

On Gausman, I have no problem with preferring him to Buxton coming out of the draft. I loved Gausman coming out of college but saying X player will be in the bigs quicker so he is better is short sided. Gausman is a heck of a talent but it will be years to know who is better.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 05-28-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    I agree, I've never actually said Gausman will be better for sure.....and yes, lots of top prospects have never made the majors. I think Buxton will succeed, I think he'll be a very good player. I think he has a chance to be a great player. But he's in low A.....we just don't know.

Well, Wimmers got hurt. You can't usually predict injuries. And, who knows. Maybe in two years he's in the rotation and effective, we don't know yet how that worked out anymore than we know if Buxto will be good.

I'm sticking with my belief that if you refuse to sign good FA pitchers, the only way to get them is to draft them when you have a chance. Passing twice, for a team with only 3-4 guys that are even prospects, and zero legit MLB pitchers, well, good luck building a staff. And don't put up the three college relievers from last year, please.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I agree, I've never actually said Gausman will be better for sure.....and yes, lots of top prospects have never made the majors. I think Buxton will succeed, I think he'll be a very good player. I think he has a chance to be a great player. But he's in low A.....we just don't know.

Well, Wimmers got hurt. You can't usually predict injuries. And, who knows. Maybe in two years he's in the rotation and effective, we don't know yet how that worked out anymore than we know if Buxto will be good.

I'm sticking with my belief that if you refuse to sign good FA pitchers, the only way to get them is to draft them when you have a chance. Passing twice, for a team with only 3-4 guys that are even prospects, and zero legit MLB pitchers, well, good luck building a staff. And don't put up the three college relievers from last year, please.
    I agree with your sentiments on this point and have gone back and forth on the Buxton/Gausman debate. You can go the other way and go against your argument by using Mark Prior and Joe Mauer as an illustration. Of course, with Gausman, the Twins would never have fast-tracked him at the rate the Orioles are comfortable doing.

I particularly think you undersold your estimtion of Buxton's career path. Barring injury, he's a virtual certainty to be in the majors, by as early as 2015, perhaps even, late 2014. How far he goes up the major league food chain will be up to him, but he certainly has a far higher ceiling than your minimalist dismissal of his chances suggest.

Still, if these 2 were essentially equal in the BPA rankings in 2012 (it was probably a close call), it would seem the Twins had to go with Gausman, given the glaring need and the draft apparently being their only viable route to re-building the rotation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12