Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Draft Board v.4.0 (5/22)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'm suggesting that a team could cut a deal with an agent to go later for more money. Nine of the first 15 picks last year signed for under slot. The Twins could offer Stewart, Shipley and McGuire all $3.3m and, if Moran goes 5th as expected, somebody has to say yes or they risk losing money. There's a lot of ways to go about looking at this.
    The only way that your scenario plays out is if the Twins aren't really interested in Stewart and are more interested in going underslot. That's certainly possible but it's all dependent on the Twins not liking Stewart enough to sign him at his expected asking price (slot or at least within the +5%).

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    What can you tell me about High schooler Carlos Salazar?
    rhp , 4 pitches, 97mph fastball, why isint there more interest in him?
    Carlos Salazar was relatively unknown up until about a year ago, had a foot injury and missed exposure time. Has a huge fastball but is still pretty raw. Shows a feel for a breaking ball, but doesn't really have a changeup or other offspeed pitch. Starter vs reliever question. Heard comps to Javy Guerra. High ceiling/low floor, makes him a risk before Round 2.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    The only way that your scenario plays out is if the Twins aren't really interested in Stewart and are more interested in going underslot. That's certainly possible but it's all dependent on the Twins not liking Stewart enough to sign him at his expected asking price (slot or at least within the +5%).
    I agree with that. I would also be shocked if the Twins ever exceed their slot. Without a clear-cut #4, the Twins have a chance to play the game a little bit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I agree with that. I would also be shocked if the Twins ever exceed their slot. Without a clear-cut #4, the Twins have a chance to play the game a little bit.
    I think Stewart is starting to emerge as the #4 in this draft especially for a team that needs pitching as badly as the Twins. Imo the only choices that make sense right now are Stewart and Shipley. Frazier and Meadows continue to slip a little and they are OF'ers. Moran is below the two pitchers. McGuire is only a choice if you are trying to go underslot. And there was a considerable faction on here that were ahead of the Manaea slide.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    More and more, I'm intrigued by Ball. Hard-throwing, high upside (high risk) lefty. Much more interested in him than McGuire.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    There's no way Boston can cut a deal with Stewart that forces the Twins to pass on him.

Boston 6.8 million for the first 10 rounds, 3.2 million for their 1st pick. Say the Twins want to take a five percent discount on Stewart and Boston says they will offer him 4th pick slot (4.5 million). They've now gone 1.3 million over slot on their first pick, and if they want to stay within 5% of their allotment they've now got 2.6 million to spend on the rest of their picks which are worth 3.6 million. They have to average more than a 25% discount on the rest of their picks; if they don't sign one of them, they have to manage an even bigger discount on the ones that they do.

They are either relegated to taking a bunch of college seniors and guys who didn't expect to make it into the top 10 rounds or losing their first round pick next year. So yes, cutting a big deal with Stewart would mean that Boston is punting either this year's or next year's draft.

If Stewart falls to Boston it will be because the teams ahead of them all like somebody else better.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I don't think I'd be upset if the Twins took Shipley. He can touch the high 90's with his heater and would probably sign slightly under slot, giving the Twins a bit of flexibility later.

Ball is also interesting and he's got momentum

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance with Disco Dan View Post
    I am with Gunnarthor, Jeremy. Will you flesh out the Red Sox/Stewart thought? Are you suggesting that the Red Sox would make a pre-draft "deal" with Stewart that Stewart would tell the Twins to match or not draft him? He clearly has as much leverage as a kid can have under the current draft rules but it seems the height of hubris to pass up slot money at no. 4. As a high school prospect facing an alternative of three more years of free pitches and needing to remain top 4 prospect after those additional miles are put on his arm (even ignoring the risk of a football-related injury), it would shock me if he followed through on any such threat.
    I'm fairly certain that the Red Sox doing something like this would result in pretty severe penalties... not to mention that if the Twins took him, there's nothing he can do but wait 3 years and hope Boston drafts him again.
    Last edited by diehardtwinsfan; 05-27-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    I think you are getting too cute here. If the Twins want Stewart they will pay him more or less slot and he will sign.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Again, its just a theory. Teams are allowed to be creative. We're getting too hung up on the numbers with Boston. I'm not saying it absolutley will happen. I'm simply suggesting it could.

Maybe using the Marlins would have been a better example, though it's unlikely they spend much. They have more money to spend, so, in theory, they could rearrange dollars to spend more than the picks ahead of them. They can't stop teams from picking their guy, but if an advisor knows they stand to make more money by not going they simply ask for more from that team. A guy falls due to his price tag and signs for more than slot later. Did Giolito and the Nats do something last year? Probably different cause he was hurt, but his advisor was probably fully aware the Nats would spend to a certain point, which could have easily been more than the Indians would have been willing to spend had he gone in that spot instead of Naquin.

I'm not suggesting anything illegal. I'm simply suggesting teams getting creative. Maybe the Red Sox can't make it work, maybe they don't want to make it work, maybe the Twins love Stewart and will give him full slot, maybe they don't and won't. At the end of the day, though, if the Twins did take him, I'm not suggesting he turns them down and enrolls in school, but he sure will leverage the situation to get the highest number possible.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    If the Twins want Stewart they will pay him more or less slot and he will sign.
    Yes. It could be that simple.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    I should probably watch how I word this, but I'm a big fan of Ball's, too. With his physical tools and what sounds like a pretty smart approach to developing his game (uses a wooden bat now & didn't even try a breaking pitch until he reached the high school level,) he seems pretty committed to improving his skills package. Plus he appears to have the flexibility of switching from either the bump or the box if he should falter at whichever position he tries first. Personally, I'd start him in the OF and see if he can handle the stick at the pro level. If it doesn't work out in a few years, he should be physically mature with a well rested cannon from the left side. There's always room in the pen at least for a southpaw who can throw in the mid-90's.
    Last edited by mudcat14; 05-27-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regardless of the money if you could cut a deal with the redsox that would keep you out of the MN Twins org, wouldn't you do it? Every athlete wants to win championships, right? People were upset that Buxton looked unhappy when the Twins drafted him, but can you blame him? Until the Twins realise that the game revolves around POWER, power hitting and power pitching, the Twins are an undesirable landing spot for most prospects/free agents.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Assuming Grey and Appel are gone the Twins should take Ball or Bryant. They have to take Bryant if he's there and Ball if he's not. They should stay away from Stewart for multiple reasons. Shipley would be OK but Mcguire would be a huge disappointment.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    Assuming Grey and Appel are gone the Twins should take Ball or Bryant. They have to take Bryant if he's there and Ball if he's not. They should stay away from Stewart for multiple reasons. Shipley would be OK but Mcguire would be a huge disappointment.
    And these reasons to stay away from Stewart are what exactly? Why then is Stewart considered to be better HS talent than Ball? I get that Ball is a leftie, which is a plus, but this is odd.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    In the process of digging more up on Ball and Shipley and the Twins interest in them. Every day the interest in McGuire appears more legitimate.

Every day the interest in McGuire appears more legitimate.
    Ugh. Color me less than enthused by that thought.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone else think Stewart is similar to JO Berrios?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Anyone else think Stewart is similar to JO Berrios?
    Not me. Stewart is taller and a freak athlete. His fastball is about the same speed but because of his height has a downward plane to it. Both have two advanced pitches but Stewart has a significantly higher chance to be an ace. If you want a J.O. comparison look at Kyle Serrano. Young, 2 advanced pitches, good control, but only 6 foot.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Current developments suggest the Twins have narrowed their focus to Stewart, McGuire and one other unknown player. This assumes 1-3 go as expected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast