Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/25): Gibson's Latest Pitch

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Well, if one of the things that is meant by 'inconsistent' is that he has trouble throwing anything other than a fastball for strikes... that is just not going to work in the Majors. Gibson has terrific fastball command, and 'could' have pitched his two shutouts with just that pitch (which would explain why they let him throw so many pitches). I wish we had that kind of info to make judgements on, because with it I think the degree of incredulity (and insinuations the the FO is incompetent) would be much lower.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I guess, like Nick said yesterday, I don't understand why it would be so detrimental to him to let him work on his consistency in the majors?
    I would understand if he werent one of the 5 best options, then you can justify making him work on that at AAA, but in this case why not let him work on it in the MLB, so he is acclimated by the time 2014 rolls around?
    My general rule of thumb is that MLB needs shouldn't dictate MiLB promotions. Gibson is still coming back and working on his control. If he is up with the Twins it's possible that he gets hammered due to this and he could start nibbling leading to worse results. Or...

The question is whether or not this consistency is actually real or if it is a convenient excuse due to SSS to keep him down until the super 2 deadline.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    My general rule of thumb is that MLB needs shouldn't dictate MiLB promotions. Gibson is still coming back and working on his control. If he is up with the Twins it's possible that he gets hammered due to this and he could start nibbling leading to worse results. Or...

The question is whether or not this consistency is actually real or if it is a convenient excuse due to SSS to keep him down until the super 2 deadline.
    And my whole point is, so what?
    Gibson would hardly be the first (or 1,000th) good prospect to come up and struggle.
    At that point you send him down, and tell him what he needs to work on (i.e. Arcia), or you keep him up and let him work through it here (i.e. Hicks).
    I don't quite understand the nonsense behind this, "nope, we can't call him up until we are absolutely sure that he'll stay up for good."
    Guys have 3 option years for a reason. There is no shame in going down to AAA if it doesn't work out. Even Trout went back down before he stuck for good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12