Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baxendale up to AA?

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Baxendale up to AA

@DFicociello25: Word on the street is @Dbax24 just got called up to AA for the Twins? Way to rep! #TeamStrelitz haha
    Last edited by InfraRen; 05-25-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    Till I Collapse

good thing Baxendale put together 9 straight great outings.....one bad one & he may have seen Iowa again!!!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Confirmed. Done deal
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Yessssssssss
    Happy for him. He couldn't do any more in Ft. Myers

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But wait! I thought the organization is somewhat obligated to "rewarding" the farm teams, and the player himself, by keeping the best talent down through through the All-Star games?

"Consistency"

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations to Baxendale. He dominated the FSL. I hope he carries it on to New Britain.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Congratulations to Baxendale. He dominated the FSL. I hope he carries it on to New Britain.
    Ditto.

Is the thought that he can make it as a starter at the big league level? Or is he more than likely a bullpen arm?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
    Is the thought that he can make it as a starter at the big league level? Or is he more than likely a bullpen arm?
    I think his ceiling is a backend starter. I think Sickels rated him a C+ prospect who was a very smart pitcher who had limited stuff. But they'll certainly let him start for now.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alright, seriously, the "consistency" thing is getting old. It is 100% accurate as it relates to Gibson. Here are the stats before tonight, Entering the game, Gibson’s ERA in odd starts was 0.50 (2 ER/35.2 IP) but in his even numbered starts he had posted an ERA of 9.00 (17 ER/17.0 IP)" So, it is good to see him finally put back-to-back good starts together.

As for Baxendale, this is great news for him. Very well deserved.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think his ceiling is a backend starter. I think Sickels rated him a C+ prospect who was a very smart pitcher who had limited stuff. But they'll certainly let him start for now.
    I'm pretty sure that Sickels would rank him higher now. He has some good stuff, and he has know-how, and he improves. People worry too much about front-end or back-end or mid-rotation starter. They all make about the same number of starts. No one should ever look for a pitcher to be an Ace. Not many of them. Baxendale isn't that, but he's been pretty good. Let's see how AA treats him.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Congrats. They could use a surprise.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Back-end starter makes him the ace of this Twins pitching staff. Go Backsendale!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Sickels would rank him higher now. He has some good stuff, and he has know-how, and he improves. People worry too much about front-end or back-end or mid-rotation starter. They all make about the same number of starts. No one should ever look for a pitcher to be an Ace. Not many of them. Baxendale isn't that, but he's been pretty good. Let's see how AA treats him.
    He might rank him higher but he's still in Hendriks territory. He's shown that he's better than guys like Bromberg, Devries, Manship, Swarzak when they were in A ball (all were successful) but none of these guys even made it as a back end starter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good for him. If he can hit his spots, he can be a major league pitcher with average stuff. Maybe backend, but all teams need those. Hope he does well in AA.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good news. There are a few other Ft. Myers players that should be following suit. Like NOW. *cough* Sano

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Good for him. If he can hit his spots, he can be a major league pitcher with average stuff. Maybe backend, but all teams need those. Hope he does well in AA.
    Exactly. Back end starter isn't an insult. Esp for a 10th round pick. Hope he makes it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Alright, seriously, the "consistency" thing is getting old. It is 100% accurate as it relates to Gibson. Here are the stats before tonight, Entering the game, Gibsonís ERA in odd starts was 0.50 (2 ER/35.2 IP) but in his even numbered starts he had posted an ERA of 9.00 (17 ER/17.0 IP)" So, it is good to see him finally put back-to-back good starts together.

As for Baxendale, this is great news for him. Very well deserved.
    Seth, baseball is a hard game. Outside of a couple dozen (if that) elite players, who is really legitimately "consistent"?
    Almost nobody is. If every GM demanded true "consistency" from everyone, it would be tough to field a single 25 man team, let alone 30 of them.

I'd say we have at least 20 guys on our roster right now who need to be sent down based on this consistency requirement.
    Actually, I take that back. We have a few who have been pretty consistently bad all year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Sano and Buxton provide a very good case study of what a difference an extra year make. Last year at Elizabethton, Sano started like a house afire then a slump brought his average down a lot. This year we see the same with Buxton 390 in April followed by 240 in May. Sano, on the other hand, this year has gone from 368 to 308.

A year's more experience and pretty substantial improvement. Demonstrates that El Rey should move up, now! Buck, on the other hand, may be where he belongs for now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Seth, baseball is a hard game. Outside of a couple dozen (if that) elite players, who is really legitimately "consistent"?
    Almost nobody is. If every GM demanded true "consistency" from everyone, it would be tough to field a single 25 man team, let alone 30 of them.
    I'd say we have at least 20 guys on our roster right now who need to be sent down based on this consistency requirement.
    Actually, I take that back. We have a few who have been pretty consistently bad all year.
    From your comment you did not consider what they are looking for is a degree of consistency. Also what you missed are reports on how Gibson has pitched.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast