Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Joe Benson claimed off waivers by Rangers

Maybe he just isn't as good (or never will be) as some of you think.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And I'm sick and tired of the "attitude issues". Its the biggest cop out the Twins use for there own failings. Some people just need a change of scenery, a different person coaching them, etc.

Remember how Perkins attitude was a problem when he was struggling? Give me someone with a bad attitude who can throw harder then 88mph

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    Maybe he just isn't as good (or never will be) as some of you think.
    That is realistic, only so many people are in the majors, injuries hurt things as well. But its not so much that they are giving up on him, its that they are giving up on him, while not having a problem with Drew Butera or 5 pitchers who throw fastballs slower then Verlanders changeup, and when they find another CF which apparently they are looking for another move will have to be made anyways.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any inside knowledge, but I doubt this is about "attitude" issues. My guess is that this is about non-performance, clear and simple, and the fact that the clock has just about run out on him anyway.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 280 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    20 teams?
    Waivers are in reverse order of records, right? I thought that meant that teams with records worse than the Rangers had first shot at waiver claims.

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the end, this was going to happen. The only difference is it happened now instead of in 2 months. I'm fine seeing him off, I'm just worried, because, y'know, we have 5 catchers and 1 CF!!! (I guess Wilkin Ramirez makes it 2 but still...) We need to get another CF up here, even if it's Clete Thomas or Antoan Richardson.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 615 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think there's a good chance that his "attitude problem" (if it existed at all) did not rear its head until he absolutely fell on his face.

Not a lot you can do at that point. The guy hasn't been a productive player since 2011, at which point he was a top prospect in the system. There's a good chance that he hasn't taken his fall from grace... gracefully.
    Fine, but he's 25. And he plays a position we only have one other capable player at who happens to be hitting well under .200. This is a bit mind-boggling.

Since this is a lost season (something the Twins even seem to be aware of) why not call up Hendricks? He's proven all he can in AAA already, so rather than dump a 25 year old that plays a position of needed depth, why not just call up Liam?

There is literally no way to wrap your head around this choice. There may have been a dozen better options.

Blog Entries
    As far as CF depth, if necessary we do have Clete Thomas. Yes, he's not on the 40-man, but room could be made. And unlike Benson, Thomas has actually been effective this year...

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I liked Benson's potential, I guess I still do. Perhaps a fresh start will get him going. He had the ability to change a game with his legs, his arm, and his glove. As the PP article says, his hitting lagged. As for "attitude problems", I think all premier athletes are used to succeeding and getting better. Benson may not have handled setbacks and frustration that well, but I doubt he is a clubhouse cancer or anything like that. I wish Benson the best, but it looks like this move is best for both the player and the team.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    As far as CF depth, if necessary we do have Clete Thomas. Yes, he's not on the 40-man, but room could be made. And unlike Benson, Thomas has actually been effective this year...
    He also hasn't played in several weeks IIRC. If Hicks goes down, the replacement is Antoan Richardson.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Earlier in the year, the Rangers DFA'd CF Julio Borbon. Now they have space for CF Benson.

It is a little different because Borbon was out of options, but I would think that Borbon would be a good fit on the current Twin roster. Too bad the Twins didn't have the foresight to work a Borbon/Benson trade.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    The Rangers assigned Benson to AA, fyi.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    He also hasn't played in several weeks IIRC. If Hicks goes down, the replacement is Antoan Richardson.
    My bad - I've gotten away from following the farm teams the past few weeks; just don't have the time I used to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Earlier in the year, the Rangers DFA'd CF Julio Borbon. Now they have space for CF Benson.

It is a little different because Borbon was out of options, but I would think that Borbon would be a good fit on the current Twin roster. Too bad the Twins didn't have the foresight to work a Borbon/Benson trade.
    That will be Benson next year.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hadn't been paying attention today. WHY ON EARTH was Benson the guy to be removed from the 40-man? That's preposterous.

The Twins are mystifying with how they deal with minor league players. Last year's treatment of him (the demotion to AA) before the injury was insulting, so I can understand if he is mad at the organization.

On the other hand, this . . . wait there is no other hand because there is no reason to have done anything like this. RELEASING a still top 20 prospect instead of trying to work out some kind of trade? Really? Or Benson could have been a nice addition to a Morneau or Willingham trade to someone. Just GIVING HIM AWAY when the 40-man is not full of real talent is damn bad.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    actually, Texas has the 2nd best record in baseball, so the only team we don't know whether they would have passed on him was St. Louis.

I've been able to break several stories over the years. The Colabello one was a lot of fun to break. This one... not as much. I've met and talked to Joe on several occasions. Really good guy, very competitive, very hard worker... His football mentality was his greatest strength and his greatest hurdle. I sincerely hope that a change of scenery is exactly what he needs and he gets another shot in the big leagues sometime!!

figured it was him as he didnt play the previous couple days.
    Never thought (stated it often) that the organization was 'truly' high on him.
    Hope he breaks out in the Lone Star State

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    actually, Texas has the 2nd best record in baseball, so the only team we don't know whether they would have passed on him was St. Louis.

I've been able to break several stories over the years. The Colabello one was a lot of fun to break. This one... not as much. I've met and talked to Joe on several occasions. Really good guy, very competitive, very hard worker... His football mentality was his greatest strength and his greatest hurdle. I sincerely hope that a change of scenery is exactly what he needs and he gets another shot in the big leagues sometime!!
    Okay, but now that the first month of ball is over, doesn't he go through the AL first before the NL teams even have a chance at him?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow I mean sure i saw Bensons role to 4th of'er or quad "A" guy coming after the 2011 season..... But To remove HIM from the 40 man roster seems odd.....

Makes you think there is an underlining issue associated with Benson and a coach, the Twins, FO or something....

Becuase that was Really ODD! to see Benson be the guy the Twins gave up on so fast.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,524 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Fine, but he's 25. And he plays a position we only have one other capable player at who happens to be hitting well under .200. This is a bit mind-boggling.

Since this is a lost season (something the Twins even seem to be aware of) why not call up Hendricks? He's proven all he can in AAA already, so rather than dump a 25 year old that plays a position of needed depth, why not just call up Liam?

There is literally no way to wrap your head around this choice. There may have been a dozen better options.
    I'm not defending the decision (which I feel pretty "meh" about overall), just the fact that the Twins could have gotten anything for Benson before it was too late. And was there a real point in protecting Benson? He's out of options after this season and has shown zero ability to rebound since his injuries.

And isn't Hendriks injured right now? He hasn't pitched in two weeks.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast