Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to call the Red Sox?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it time to call the Red Sox?

If there is some interest from Boston, I think there is a reason to listen to what they would offer for Joe Mauer. I know he's a big draw to watching the Twins now, and he's arguably their only star. I think our current rotation, the lack of starting pitching that is nearly ready, and the fact that TR has showed that he is not willing to add high end starting pitching to me equals we are at least 2 years away from competing. Do we really want to watch an elite player like Joe Mauer without a strong supporting cast? What if the Red Sox were to offer a high level starting prospect (single A) and maybe a SS or Catching prospect? Liberate Joe and add some prospects.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does Joe want to go to Boston? Because if not, this is all academic. No-trade clause.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    No. And that package doesn't seem remotely close enough.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    The Twins problem is not Joe Mauer. Stop it. Even if the Twins had an additional 23 million what are the chances that all of a sudden Terry Ryan would change who he is? Zero. He has run the Twins the same way and he will continue to do so. There's plenty of profit now to put FA's on the field and its not happening.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    If there is some interest from Boston, I think there is a reason to listen to what they would offer for Joe Mauer. I know he's a big draw to watching the Twins now, and he's arguably their only star. I think our current rotation, the lack of starting pitching that is nearly ready, and the fact that TR has showed that he is not willing to add high end starting pitching to me equals we are at least 2 years away from competing. Do we really want to watch an elite player like Joe Mauer without a strong supporting cast? What if the Red Sox were to offer a high level starting prospect (single A) and maybe a SS or Catching prospect? Liberate Joe and add some prospects.
    I'd hate to see him leave, and I think there is more that they could do around him. For starters, I think Morneau is the one to move if possible while swinging a hot bat. I'd also like to see them move the Hammer. This opens up 1B and LF, which gives you spots to keep Arcia and Parmelee regularly in the lineup. Then, save Joe's legs by having him catch a lot less (keep Parms in RF, where he's been decent and move Joe to 1B) so that when the wave hits in another year or two, he's still playing well. There's really no reason he should be catching. Heck, at this point, I'm all for having Ryan "Can't Frame" Doumit daily back there or calling up Butera (or someone else).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    The Twins problem is not Joe Mauer. Stop it. Even if the Twins had an additional 23 million what are the chances that all of a sudden Terry Ryan would change who he is? Zero. He has run the Twins the same way and he will continue to do so. There's plenty of profit now to put FA's on the field and its not happening.
    I am not saying Joe is the problem, but I don't think it's unrealistic to say the Twins are looking to compete for the Central in 2015. Does it make sense to keep Joe's production and cost for 2-3 years of losing baseball?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 821 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's no way I see Joe going to Boston for anything close to what is being suggested in this thread, and I don't see Boston offering anything more.

Mauer getting traded just won't happen.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This idea is never going to happen, ever (trading Joe Mauer).

But if it was possible in some alternate dimension, I would want it to be to Boston. Because he'd hit .400 there as easily as he hits .320 everywhere else.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I agree with everyone else that in the real world a Mauer trade would never happen. That being said, I would entertain an offer from Boston that included Xander Bogaerts and Matt Barnes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    With what is coming, the team will need vets to nurture young players. Not to mention that having a 40% ob guy in front of legit RBI people is not a bad move. Additionally, I just don't feel confident that the trade would end up well for us. It is fun to talk about stuff but this is one that would never happen. He has his MN contract with a NT clause and I just don't feel its a move the Twins would entertain at this point even if they could.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    We had this thread in the offseason when the rumors first appeared. There is a lot of sentimentalism surrounding Joe and the majority of people didn't want it to happen.

Fr a business standpoint it is probably a bad idea since you'd be telling the fans your giving up on the next few years and creating backlash.

From a long term competitiveness stand point I think it is an intriguing idea. Depends a lot on what prospects someone is willing to give up.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be a lot more intriguing if the fans had a reason to think that $23m saved per year would be re-invested in the payroll.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    From 2011 until today, approximately 39 million has come off the payroll.
    Where has all the money gone??
    Hint, not on the field.

2011 Final Baseball Payrolls - MLB - ESPN

USA Today | Sports | MLB | Salaries
    Last edited by Highabove; 05-24-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 381 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    It sounds more like you want to trade him as a favor to Joe.

While the Twins could always use more prospects, they have a ton and they'll all be showing up in the next couple of years. At that point, what they will need is some stability and veteran presence to help hold the developing talent together and you won't get that as a return for Mauer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    From 2011 in till today, approximately 39 million has come off the payroll.
    Where has that money gone??
    Hint, not on the field.

2011 Final Baseball Payrolls - MLB - ESPN

USA Today | Sports | MLB | Salaries
    and more next year and the year after.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    It would be a lot more intriguing if the fans had a reason to think that $23m saved per year would be re-invested in the payroll.
    Ryan could buy a whole new rotation with that money...and by that I really mean 5 starting pitchers. How much is he paying this season for the three he brought in, less than 10M?

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Captain cheap-o Terry Ryan wouldn't spend the money if they did trade him so what's the freaking point? I'm not the biggest Mauer fan and don't think he's worth 23 million a year but Terry Ryan seems hell bent on making the Twins the Oakland A's of the Central, minus the steady stream of GOOD young pitching.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just remember, the average fan doesn't really care about payroll. They want to see their favorite guy. People love Joe. They aren't going to care if the Red Sox trade their top 50 propects for Mauer. They want Mauer.

And the Twins make most of their money off of the average fan.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I honestly think this could be the worst thing the Twins could possibly do. Just from a baseball standpoint, you aren't going to get near the production from whoever replaces him, and right now he is the face of the franchise.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If David Ortiz or Mike Napoli break down (or both), then I would try to trade Morneau immediately. Getting a 100-200 level prospect (think Kepler, May) and a 200-300 (think Santana, Goodrum) would be enough for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast