Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Carroll should be the starting 2B.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 512 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    Carroll should be the starting 2B.
    Grading objectively, sure. But Jamey Carroll won't be part of the 2014 Twins most likely and certainly won't be part of the 2015 team, which is the approximate time when Sano, Buxton, Meyer, May, Rosario really make their mark.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Carroll should not be starting. He is a bridge to young talent at best and he is probably not on the roster next year. This season is over. There is no point in Carroll taking time from younger players. Same is true for correia and pelfrey soon. The only reason you go with him is to win another game or two over the course of the rest of the season. That is the same shortsightedness that the brass appeared to have last year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last time I checked, the season is 162 games, not 44. I don't care if we don't have much of a chance at making the playoffs, we should be playing to win either way. I'm not saying Carroll should be starting at 2b every day, but he should be playing more often because he gives us a better chance to win right now. Maybe Dozier and the other younger players could learn something from watching him play.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COtwin View Post
    Carroll should not be starting. He is a bridge to young talent at best and he is probably not on the roster next year. This season is over. There is no point in Carroll taking time from younger players. Same is true for correia and pelfrey soon. The only reason you go with him is to win another game or two over the course of the rest of the season. That is the same shortsightedness that the brass appeared to have last year.
    Not to drag this too far off topic but you better get used to Correia, he is signed for next season too so he'll be getting a very long leash. If he can keep going into the 6th and 7th innings he'll keep starting all season, regardless if that is with 3 or 5 ER's.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    I just hope Dozier doesn't end up like Alexi Casilla. "This is the year for him to start!" Re-Evaluate. "OK now this is the year!" Fails again. "It's his time to shine!" And finally he got the axe last season. Seriously... just see what he's got, and when he finally proves he's not gonna be good, say adios.
    A main difference is that there never was a clear replacement for Casilla during that time. I would hope Rosario or perhaps one of the other middle infield guys will be able to push Dozier enough if he doesn't produce.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    Comparing hicks to dozier is pretty ridiculous. The fact is dozier is 26, has 500 almost PA in the majors and has a .571 ops. Other than a good 2011 in the minors the rest of his track record (see AAA) was pretty lackluster.

I get he plays a sharp 2b, but if he isn't going to even hit for a .580 ops and you are going to keep him around he needs to be able to play a sharp SS and 3B

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    For me, 2013 is all about doing what is best for the prospects long-term. Because of his youth and having not played at AAA, I would have sent Hicks down to let him work on things. I'd send Arcia down for a little while with scouting reports catching up to him. With Dozier (and Parmelee and Plouffe), I really think they just have to let them figure it out up here as long as they can. If they let Hicks struggle as horribly as he did for as long as he did, they should do the same for Dozier.
    I'm all about putting guys in positions to succeed, but if we send Arcia down does he get the same level of scrutiny as he did in the majors? Would he even have to adjust to AAA pitchers trying to pitch to his weaknesses? Again, let's put these guys in the best place to learn, but might that not be the majors at this point in their careers?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12