Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who gets DFAed?

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    What he said
    Either of you, expand on this. There is absolutely no reason a catcher that can barely hit .200 should be on a 40 man roster, or wont pass through without being claimed. The logic behind keeping a catcher because he's a catcher is infuriating.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 307 Times in 149 Posts
    If we have all these guys that we're afraid of getting claimed, meaning they must be good and other teams want them, why have the Twins been so bad the last 2 plus years?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    If we have all these guys that we're afraid of getting claimed, meaning they must be good and other teams want them, why have the Twins been so bad the last 2 plus years?
    What he said.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Do we have to DFA only one?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Does it matter that it's the AAA DL and the not the MLB disabled list? I heard that's why he can't go to the 60-day DL -- maybe it affects his DFA status too?
    That's a legitimate question - I was wondering that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Benson is on his last option. I think you have to stick with him this summer and then next year is make or break purely on merit. If he's good enough to be in the big leagues, he's there, if not, DFA. The Twins have so few guys with both power and speed that it would be a pity to give up on Joe prematurely, especially coming off of a hamate bone injury. But some guys are Drew Stubbs and some are Michael Restovich.
    Good line--dont think we will know whether Benson is the reincarnation of Restovich or Stubbs until he gets a shot with somebody. He desperately needs a change of scenary--I vote to DFA him and see what happens. His head is far from right now...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Either of you, expand on this. There is absolutely no reason a catcher that can barely hit .200 should be on a 40 man roster, or wont pass through without being claimed. The logic behind keeping a catcher because he's a catcher is infuriating.
    There was a quote on MLBTradeRumors.com at the beginning of the season by a gm essentially saying Butera would get claimed for sure. He said that good defensive catchers are always in demand.

Given that info and the fact that Herrmann is hitting sopoorly Butera needs to stay on the roster I would think in case mauer or doumit get injured.

Nobody said Hendricks tho I still think hell be solid when rid of Rick Anderson.
    You can DFA an injured minor leaguer

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My choice: Benson.

He's hitting .192. He's got 50K vs 10 BB in AAA. He's either got to be DFAed or sent back down to AA as a 25-year-old.

I'll throw one more thing out which is just pure speculation....did the Twins hurt him by calling him up straight from AA in September of 2011? He struggled mightily and has literally never been remotely the same player he was before that. You can write off last year to injuries (and we all did). But for a guy who was known as sort of mentally fragile (in that he gets down on himself when he struggles) was that the right move?

We'll never know. That questions doesn't really have an answer. But I'll wonder about it.
    Last edited by John Bonnes; 05-24-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I honestly do think that Butera and Herrman would get claimed by somebody. There is always a need for backup catchers.

Personally, I think they should trade Doumit, and have Butera or Hermann come be the backup catcher and stay on the bench most of the time.

I think they need to keep one of those guys on the 40 man in case we do have an injury to Doumit or Mauer. It would make MUCH more sense to try and trade Butera or Hermann, even if it's for scrubs, rather than DFA them and have them claimed and get nothing.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    Why do we care if they are claimed, though? Are either going to help this team win, this year or next year?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I'll throw one more thing out which is just pure speculation....did the Twins hurt him by calling him up straight from AA in September of 2011? He struggled mightily and has literally never been remotely the same player he was before that. You can write off last year to injuries (and we all did). But for a guy who was known as sort of mentally fragile (in that he gets down on himself when he struggles) was that the right move?
    That may have contributed to his funk, but at the end of the day I can't hold the Twins responsible for that. If he is that fragile mentally, this was going to happen eventually regardless. Nobody goes through a major league career without facing times of adversity. Having the mental toughness to get through that is part of what major league baseball is about.

Actually best to find that out before you get to the point where you pencil him in to an every day lineup.

Personally I'm hoping he catches fire and fulfills his potential. I'm just skeptical about it happening.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 05-24-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well for one, if we lose both we're pretty much screwed if Mauer or Doumit gets hurt. Second, like I've said repeatedly we should shop these guys and get something for them, rather than toss them away for nothing.

They actually would be far more valuable to a team in a trade rather than a waiver, because in a trade they could easily stash them on AAA as an insurance policy, whereas in a waiver claim they'll have to get stuck on the active roster.

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll go with Hermanson as there are several pitching prospect that just passed him in the pecking order and there are a few others in front as well and more right behind him.

Benson is next as he is redundant too but the next level of players behind him will take a while to get closer to the majors. if Hicks gets hurt he is the best defensive option or there is also the other AAA guy as well (name forgotten) but then who would get the call?

The thing you have to consider is how can these guys be usefull to a 25 man roster. Hermanson is too far away and passed by too many people to be in the conversation of being future help. Benson is one CF injury away from being up by default for defensive value.

Benson

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tim Wood. Bet he is done for the season
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Wood is on the 60 day DL now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why do we care if they are claimed, though? Are either going to help this team win, this year or next year?
    So, if you DFA Butera and he gets taken by another team, what do you do if Mauer or Doumit get's hurt? Or Doumit get's traded?

Herrmann is really struggling offensively and during ST the Twins were really not happy with his defense. IIRC they were questioning if he could even play catcher at the MLB level.

Danny Lehmann has played all of 4 games and has never hit worth a darn at any level.

I don't know anything about Fryer. Perhaps he could play. He did get 16 games with the Pirates in 2011-2012.

Pinto has played all of 57 games above A ball.

Dan Rohlfing is another guy I know little about but he has never played above AA either. He had a good ST, iirc, but we saw what that means with Hicks. Diddly Squat!

Given these guys I won't blame the Twins for keeping Butera on the 40 man roster this season. Look at it again in the second half of the season when Pinto, who looks like he could be a possible solution at catcher, has had more PA's.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    So, if you DFA Butera and he gets taken by another team, what do you do if Mauer or Doumit get's hurt? Or Doumit get's traded?.
    Josmil Pinto and Chris Herrmann in that order. Herrmann is slumping but still hitting better than Butera ever dreamed that he can hit the ball
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Josmil Pinto and Chris Herrmann in that order. Herrmann is slumping but still hitting better than Butera ever dreamed that he can hit the ball
    Herrmann's AAA OPS: .584
    Butera's AAA OPS: .584

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast