Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Twins Extended Spring Training Roster

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Extended Spring Training Roster

There are a lot of players who will begin the season at Extended Spring Training and remain in Ft. Myers. These players, along with potentially more players from the Dominican and signees from the 2012 draft, will begin the short-season league games in Elizabethton or with the GCL Twins. Of course, these players will be playing games and working on their games at the Ft. Myers facilities and if there is a need in Beloit, or potentially in Ft. Myers, several could get promoted. In fact, expect that a dozen or so will be needed thanks to promotions up above, injuries or other reasons.

Pitchers: Ricardo Arevalo, Tim Atherton, Hudson Boyd, Josh Burris, Hung Yi Chen, Steven Evans, Nathan Fawbush, Dallas Gallant (missed last year with Tommy John surgery), Tyler Herr, Trent Higginbotham, David Hurlbut, Garrett Jewell, Cole Johnson, Tyler Jones, Corey Kimes, Brett Lee, Kuo Hua Lo, Austin Malinowski, Angel Mata, Chris Mazza, Josue Montanez, Luis Nunez, Gerardo Ramirez, Hein Robb, Gonzalo Sanudo, Tobias Streich (moved to Pitcher from Catcher)

Catchers: Jonathan Arias, Kelly Cross, Billy Killian, Matt Parker, Michael Quesada, Norberto Susini, Jacob Younis

Infielders: Josh Hendricks, Kennys Vargas, Nick Lockwood, Candido Pimentel, Julio Torres, Stephen Wickens, Niko Goodrum, Aderling Mejia, Javier Pimentel, Jorge Polanco, Wander Guillen, Travis Harrison

Outfielders: Romy Jimenez, Max Kepler, Drew Leachman, Kelvin Mention, Kelvin Ortiz, Dereck Rodriguez, Ryde Rodriguez

SUMMARY THOUGHTS: The names that stand out here to me are Max Kepler and Niko Goodrum. Kepler played OK, though certainly not great, in Elizabethton. Goodrum, on the other hand, played really well for the E-Twins, especially the final six weeks of the season. I wouldnít be surprised if both, or at least Goodrum, moves up to Beloit before the short seasons begin.

Iím more surprised by some of the college pitchers selected by the Twins in the 2011 draft remaining in EST.

One other thing to point out to fans is that a player can only spend three seasons in the short season leagues. For instance, Kepler spent 2010 in the GCL and 2011 in Elizabethton. He can play in E-Town again in 2012, but in 2013, he would need to go to a full-season affiliate.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lockwood has spent his three seasons in rookie ball, so he'll be with Beloit during the first (or second) round of injuries/promotions/cuts.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it safe to say that If lin or Goncalves dont do so well, Kepler is likely to be the first outfielder up? Goodrum should be up by middle of June...correct?
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Kepler and Goodrum are the only two OFs on the list with any Appy League experience. So they would probably be the first guys up, but I would guess it would have to be in a role that they would play most games. Drew Leachman - at 23 - might get a chance to be a 4th OF, if needed.

I think Goncalves would be first on the chopping block as he's spent the last two seasons going the wrong directions.

After watching Lin play in person, I appreciate the value he brings to the team -- versatile OF who did a great job leading off most of last year. He strikes me as an "organizational-type" the Twins like to have around. Granted, how long can you keep those types of players around in Low-A ball?

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jnygaard View Post
    Kepler and Goodrum are the only two OFs on the list with any Appy League experience. So they would probably be the first guys up, but I would guess it would have to be in a role that they would play most games. Drew Leachman - at 23 - might get a chance to be a 4th OF, if needed.

I think Goncalves would be first on the chopping block as he's spent the last two seasons going the wrong directions.

After watching Lin play in person, I appreciate the value he brings to the team -- versatile OF who did a great job leading off most of last year. He strikes me as an "organizational-type" the Twins like to have around. Granted, how long can you keep those types of players around in Low-A ball?
    Goodrum is a INF. Lin is a slap hitter which could work in his favor, but could also hurt him. He raised his BA by 40 points from the year before, which is showing that he has made good improvements. Lin is fun to watch, but his Stolen base to caught steeling ratio is horrific. He is okay defensively. I am lost at what the Twins plan for Lin is though.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I would anticipate Goodrum getting a majority of his reps at SS, but there is a lot of feeling that he'll fill out and end up in a corner.

Kepler was getting off-season work at 1B. But I would guess that he'll spend most of his time in LF.

If the Snappers have a need and Goodrum is the guy to come up, it wouldn't surprise me to see Grimes get a little time in RF where his glove/arm would play better than his bat and open SS up for Goodrum. Sort of the same way the lesser-armed McCallum split his time last year in 2B/LF.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Leachman can play various places, and due to his age, he may be the first up.

Goncalves has gone backwards because two years ago, he was in EST and moved over to Ft. Myers and played well enough (and played really great in centerfield)... he spent the rest of the season there... best thing that happened to him last year was moving down to Beloit. Unfortunately it didn't happen until late in the season. This is the right move for him. He is a talent.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just an FYI - Goodrum has a long way to go if he's going to "fill out". Dude looks as skinny as me (I'm 6'2", 155), but unlike me, he can mash the heck out of a baseball as I saw down at Spring Training. Couple pictures below to see what I mean. I liked what I saw of him hitting, in the third picture below, that swing resulted in the ball leaving the yard in a big way. But if we're basing where he ends up playing on him "filling out" beyond an infielder body type, I'd guess he's a sure bet to stick in the infield.DSC00820.jpgDSC00819.jpg..DSC01042.jpg
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

I heard Polanco, Kepler, Goodrum, Quesada and Harrison all will be with the big league club for the exhibition game against Ft Myers Miracle tomorrow.

Should be a good experience for those guys on the extended roster.

Seth, any thoughts what they will do with the catchers from this group? Jonathan Arias was reported to being looked at as a pitcher but now back in extended as a catcher. Billy Killian was an older pick up with lots of experience. Matt Parker appeared to be on his way to Beloit based on E-Town performance last year but Beloit has 3 guys including Knudsen. Are these injury/ rehab decisions?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do we ever get any details of how extended spring training works and how players progress in it? Do they play actual games against other teams' extended spring training players? Maybe that's a dumb question.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 60ft6in View Post
    Seth, any thoughts what they will do with the catchers from this group? Jonathan Arias was reported to being looked at as a pitcher but now back in extended as a catcher. Billy Killian was an older pick up with lots of experience. Matt Parker appeared to be on his way to Beloit based on E-Town performance last year but Beloit has 3 guys including Knudsen. Are these injury/ rehab decisions?
    Note all of the pitchers in EST... they have to throw to someone, so they'll keep a bunch of catchers around. We'll see what happens when the short seasons start in June... Some won't be around... Also the Twins will certainly draft a college catcher in the top 6-7 rounds who should play at ET.

Nice showing by all the extended guys with the MLB Twins! They were really the spark plug for the Twins to get the lead! Most played 4 innings or more so you were really able to see them in action! With the Miracle hitting the ball all over the place each player had muliple plays!

Harrison 2 for 3- double
    Quesada 1 for 3- double
    Kepler 1 for 2
    Goodrum 0 for 3
    Polanco 0 for1

Goodrum had some very nice plays at SS!! He swings well but I was more impressed with the fielding! I had heard he was rough at SS but it looks like alot of work has gone into his defense!

I was a little surprised Leachman wasnt included in this group...? But I guess you can only play so many.

I am not sure how you would get details from their games. The extended group plays a combination of intersquad games and games vs the Red Sox and Rays.

Streich is listed as a pitcher so I guess that conversion has some merit and progressing. I hear he throws hard.

Arias is listed as a catcher. Did that conversion not work out or is he still trying to convert over or listed incorrectly?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 60ft6in View Post
    Streich is listed as a pitcher so I guess that conversion has some merit and progressing. I hear he throws hard.

Arias is listed as a catcher. Did that conversion not work out or is he still trying to convert over or listed incorrectly?
    That is Correct.

WHET Paul Kelly? Retired? Sign with someone else? Still rehabbing?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipswichfan View Post
    WHET Paul Kelly? Retired? Sign with someone else? Still rehabbing?
    He was a 6-year minor league free agent. He hasn't signed with anyone, likely to retire.