Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96

Thread: Walters

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,824
    Like
    9
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

    Walters

    Getting the call for Monday per Jim Mandelaro. Gibson will have to wait.
    Papers...business papers.

  2. #2
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,913
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    177
    I'm a little surprised by the move. Adding two guys to the rotation that are out of options... though both guys cleared waivers after last season anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter. See what sticks...

  3. #3
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    50
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    17
    Reasons behind the desicion over Gibson were locigal, but not what I wanted to hear.

  4. #4
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,586
    Like
    3,651
    Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I wish Walters the best, but there really can't be any doubt about what the Twins are doing with Gibson at this point, can there?

  5. #5
    Member Rookie rikker49's Avatar
    Posts
    44
    Like
    3
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    If not now, when??? Maybe if Pelfrey is released??? Gibson might be at his innings limit by then. Hopefully he would be called up before DeVries or Albers, but who knows. Maybe Blackburn lol

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,585
    Like
    18
    Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Whatever. Deduno and Walters wont be in the rotation for long. I don't see how they can allow Hicks to struggle up here for this long while keeping Gibson down for financial reasons.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  7. #7
    90+ losses & firing of Gardy are on the horizons if this is true!!!!

  8. #8
    which player is DFAd to make room? Benson/Hendriks/Hermsen/Drew???

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    991
    Like
    195
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Gibson's agent should demand a trade.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,586
    Like
    62
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    This intentional avoidance of a call up has happened many times but usually for the purpose of retaining an extra year of service. I don't know that there has ever been this blatent of a case of a team preventing a player from gaining Super 2 status.

    Gibson is not a Major League player so I don't believe he is included in the playrs union as of yet. If he were, there certainly would be grounds to file a grevience. I don't think there has been a team in such dire need of a starting pitcher that continues to reject the most obvious and rational candidate to this extreme.

    This is disguting and I hope Gibson doesn't hold it against the organization seeing as it boils down to his employer bending the rules and going out of it's way to withhold money from him.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Posts
    610
    Like
    20
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Has anybody thought that it might be as simple as Gibson being scheduled to start on Friday and that having him start on Monday might not be ideal. Obviously they aren't going to have him start if he pitches tomorrow. If they were to skip him tomorrow it could mess up his routine, which they probably don't want to do since he is coming off surgery. Call me naive, but sometimes the simple answer is the right one.

  12. #12
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,586
    Like
    3,651
    Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Has anybody thought that it might be as simple as Gibson being scheduled to start on Friday and that having him start on Monday might not be ideal. Obviously they aren't going to have him start if he pitches tomorrow. If they were to skip him tomorrow it could mess up his routine, which they probably don't want to do since he is coming off surgery. Call me naive, but sometimes the simple answer is the right one.
    There's a simple answer here, all right, but yours isn't it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,586
    Like
    62
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Has anybody thought that it might be as simple as Gibson being scheduled to start on Friday and that having him start on Monday might not be ideal. Obviously they aren't going to have him start if he pitches tomorrow.
    He needs to start for Rochester on Friday? Why couldn't he just not start on Friday at Rochester and start for the Twins instead? That's when Deduno is scheduled so a promotion actually would have lined up perfectly with Gibson's current schedule. Or he could have not pitched for Rochester Friday and pitched for the Twins Saturday if they wanted to give him an extra days rest.

    Sorry, but this non-move reeks and I hope Terry Ryan has to answer some very uncomfortable questions from the local media.

  14. #14
    Wonder how many good starts Vance Worley needs before he can get a re-call??
    WHEN Deduno/Walters get DFA'd (June or offseason), will they will get claimed this time? We will have 2 starting P's & a SS that 31 other teams said no thanks to.
    How many bad starts will it take till MN says goodbye to the terrible twosome??

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    642
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Anorthagen View Post
    Reasons behind the decision over Gibson were logical, but not what I wanted to hear.
    Sure its logical. But it doesn't make it the right call. At this point the season is going down the tubes.

    Not calling up Gibson shows that the FO indeed has written off the season.

  16. #16
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,573
    Like
    196
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    This intentional avoidance of a call up has happened many times but usually for the purpose of retaining an extra year of service. I don't know that there has ever been this blatent of a case of a team preventing a player from gaining Super 2 status.

    Gibson is not a Major League player so I don't believe he is included in the playrs union as of yet. If he were, there certainly would be grounds to file a grevience. I don't think there has been a team in such dire need of a starting pitcher that continues to reject the most obvious and rational candidate to this extreme.

    This is disguting and I hope Gibson doesn't hold it against the organization seeing as it boils down to his employer bending the rules and going out of it's way to withhold money from him.
    While I agree with you that Gibson should be recalled, I am not sure that it is so clear cut that he is the superior option at this point to Walters and Deduno, particularly Walters. Their statistics are almost the same and Walters has been more consistent. Obviously, Gibson has more stuff and upside, but perhaps a bit more AAA time could be beneficial for Gibson. If the real reason for the delay is avoiding Super2 status for Gibson, the Twins are cheap and foolish.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Posts
    610
    Like
    20
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    There's a simple answer here, all right, but yours isn't it.
    Even if yours is the right one, we will never know. Unless of course you can read Terry Ryan's mind.

  18. #18
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,706
    Like
    862
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I wish Walters the best, but there really can't be any doubt about what the Twins are doing with Gibson at this point, can there?
    Not to do any self-back-patting here, but this was an all-too-predictable move, right out of their worn and tattered playbook.

    Meanwhile, other organizations have their prized players pitching as soon as possible, Bundy and Gausman in the case of the Orioles, we know all about the Nationals and Rays, even Porcello in the case of the Tigers (5 year veteran at age 24- yes Gibson had TJ, but he appears to be far beyond that surgery- Gibson at 25 is actually 14 months OLDER than Porcello- both drafted late in the First Round of their respective drafts, 2 years apart).
    Last edited by jokin; 05-24-2013 at 12:45 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,985
    Like
    4
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    66
    I would prefer Gibson being limited to a small amount of innings over the next month in Rochester than calling him up right now. Walters makes sense. Keep in mind that Gibson is going to be limited to 100 innings max for the rest of the season.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,824
    Like
    9
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Not to do any self-back-patting here, but this was an all-too-predictable move, right out of their worn and tattered playbook.

    Meanwhile, other organizations have their prized players pitching as soon as possible, Bundy and Gausman in the case of the Orioles, we know all about the Nationals and Rays, even Porcello in the case of the Tigers (5 year veteran at age 24- yes Gibson had TJ, but he appears to be far beyond that surgery- Gibson at 25 is actually 14 months OLDER than Porcello- both drafted late in the First Round of their respective drafts, 2 years apart).
    Again I'm not sure Porcello is a good example to prove your point. And Gausman and Bundy have always been more highly regarded so the comparison isn't great.

    That aside, this is disgusting. I didn't have high expectations for the season but doing something to potentially save a couple mil down the line is beyond words.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.