Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Position player OPS ranking

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    In any event, there's more to a player's salary than just on field production...
    ...if you're Ichiro.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Hard to say about the hitting coach, as he's been up here for less than 1/2 year.....so it's hard to offer any evidence about if players have improved or not under his tutelage.
    There are players are being labeled as underacheivers in this thread, so if they are not performing up to expectations what culpability does a hitting coach or manager have in that. There is another thread where it is blame the pitching coach

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I don't see how you can say Morneau is underachieving. Yeah I would like to see some more power out of him, but he's hitting .314 and is on pace to have 117 RBI.
    Because position matters. If he's the 11th best hitting 1B in the league, that means he's easily replaceable (or should be) with the contract he has. On the other hand, if he keeps hitting as he has recently he'll move up in that ranking. However, his swing still looks pretty bad to me, even if it is better than it was a couple weeks ago.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    ...if you're Ichiro.
    I imagine Mauer fits that bill...and Morny.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I wasn't using RBI to rate a player. I said "he's hitting .314 and is on pace to have 117 RBI." He is hitting .378 in May, as well as .323 with runners on, and .327 with runners in scoring position. In what world is that struggling?
    No doubt Morneau has been hitting better recently. His .867 OPS these last 24 games has been good. However do to his terrible .628 OPS in the first 18 games his overall OPS is still below average. So, as others have already said, if he continues to hit better his value will increase but at this point he is underachieving for the season. I'm not all that hopeful going forward because over his hot stretch he has a babip of .407. That is unsustainable and both his BA and SLG will be affected when that comes back to Earth.

Look I will freely admit that I thought Morneau was going to have a comeback year. Obviously to be under achieving you have to compare it to some baseline. Mine was an OPS around .850. He is underachieving in comparison. If you didn't believe he'd have a turn around year then he is pretty much at last years numbers and so probably wouldn't be underachieving.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 36 Posts
    I'm sure Morneau is really going to start slugging soon though, because I was guaranteed that he would be back to the pre concussion form and would OPS north of .900 this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12