Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Position player OPS ranking

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries

Position player OPS ranking

I used 100 plate appearances as a qualifier and used OPS as the measuring stick of hitting performance. Here are the rankings in the American League of the 10 Twins with over 100 PAs:

Catcher--Mauer--2nd of 14
    First Base--Morneau--11th of 18
    Second Base--Dozier--13th of 15
    Third Base--Plouffe--8th of 13
    Shortstop--Florimon--7th of 14
    Left Field--Willingham--8th of 15
    Center Field--Hicks--17th of 17
    Right Field--Arcia--4th of 15 and Parmelee 14th of 15
    Designated Hitter--Doumit--8th of 10

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
    I don't know if he'll continue at his current pace but the Florimonster has been a pleasant surprise all around. If he can just be around average offensively he is a keeper for several years.

Morneau, Willingham, Hicks, Parmelee and Doumit have all been underachieving. By a lot. I is sad kitty.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Florimonster is both an awesome nickname, and a pleasant surprise. Can't say I expected Hicks to be very high in the ranks this early (curious, how much better would he have to be to actually be 16 out of 17?)

Dozier stands out as a significantly underachieving, especially when they are using him as leadoff guy. At what point do we figure Carroll or Escobar would be bringing more to the table as a starter?

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Florimonster
    Ha! The nickname might be catching on. I've been trying to get that going since Florimon was my "adopt a prospect" last year! Finally!

It's really not that surprising to see everyone in the position they are in though. I think Morneau is underachieving in the power department, but he's hitting for average and getting on base. The other guys... not so much. I think Mornie will get it going here soon enough, his numbers are at least encouraging.
    Last edited by James; 05-23-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: forgot the first "o" in Florimon
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if he'll continue at his current pace but the Florimonster has been a pleasant surprise all around. If he can just be around average offensively he is a keeper for several years.

Morneau, Willingham, Hicks, Parmelee and Doumit have all been underachieving. By a lot. I is sad kitty.
    I don't see how you can say Morneau is underachieving. Yeah I would like to see some more power out of him, but he's hitting .314 and is on pace to have 117 RBI.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Is it then the hitting coach not doing a good job? As other threads want to blsme the coaching staff, how much of the poor performance is on the coaching?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Florimon had enough ABs to qualify he'd be top 3 in the AL, pretty impressive.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Hard to say about the hitting coach, as he's been up here for less than 1/2 year.....so it's hard to offer any evidence about if players have improved or not under his tutelage.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I don't see how you can say Morneau is underachieving. Yeah I would like to see some more power out of him, but he's hitting .314 and is on pace to have 117 RBI.
    That would be important if RBIs had any bearing on how well Morneau is hitting. But they don't. They are a function of Mauer's absurd .416 OBP hitting ahead of Morneau.

On the other hand OPS is highly correlated with runs scored, at least at the team level, and he is 11th out of 18th in OPS. In other words 10 of the 14 other teams have better hitting 1st baseman in the AL.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    That would be important if RBIs had any bearing on how well Morneau is hitting. But they don't. They are a function of Mauer's absurd .416 OBP hitting ahead of Morneau.

On the other hand OPS is highly correlated with runs scored, at least at the team level, and he is 11th out of 18th in OPS. In other words 10 of the 14 other teams have better hitting 1st baseman in the AL.
    On one hand, I don't want to 'like' this post cause Morny has been my favorite player on the Twins since he joined the Twins, on the other hand, anyone using RBI to rate a player needs to be shown the error of his ways. So a like goes to you.

In Morny's defense, he's hitting .347 with RISP so while he is getting a lot of Ops (Ops that Willingham should be picking up), he's at least coming through when he gets the chance.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't using RBI to rate a player. I said "he's hitting .314 and is on pace to have 117 RBI." He is hitting .378 in May, as well as .323 with runners on, and .327 with runners in scoring position. In what world is that struggling?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't using RBI to rate a player. I said "he's hitting .314 and is on pace to have 117 RBI." He is hitting .378 in May, as well as .323 with runners on, and .327 with runners in scoring position. In what world is that struggling?
    Your point has merit. On the other hand, almost any mention of RBI on this forum will garner some rebuttals (as it should).

Morneau has been quite good lately. It's a matter of seeing if he can keep it up, with or without the power.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    you say you weren't using RBI to rate him...but you only used two stats....one was RBI.

Look, I'm not going to slam Morny, at all...if you notice I defended him in my post as well by pointing out how he does w/RISP....but using RBI, as a stand alone stat (which is how you originally used it), doesn't work...at least not for me. It's like people talking about wins for pitchers.

You have since elaborated well, though.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Your point has merit. On the other hand, almost any mention of RBI on this forum will garner some rebuttals (as it should).

Morneau has been quite good lately. It's a matter of seeing if he can keep it up, with or without the power.
    Morneau in May looks like he's been using Mauer's quickswing batting tee- lots of short-swing blooping hits- not sure how the recent power drain that will play out with his value to prospective trading partners...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Morneau in May looks like he's been using Mauer's quickswing batting tee- lots of short-swing blooping hits- not sure how the recent power drain that will play out with his value to prospective trading partners...
    Justin Morneau has become Mark Grace. Useful on offense, good on defense, but not worth the $15M he is making this year. Both Morneau and Willingham have done little to increase their trade value other than stay in the lineup.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Justin Morneau has become Mark Grace. Useful on offense, good on defense, but not worth the $15M he is making this year. Both Morneau and Willingham have done little to increase their trade value other than stay in the lineup.
    Morny is making 14M not 15M, and I believe salary isn't just about what's done on the field. There are other considerations. Other than that, yeah...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Morny is making 14M not 15M, and I believe salary isn't just about what's done on the field. There are other considerations. Other than that, yeah...
    ESPN says $15M, Cot's says $14M. ESPN must be prorating the $6M signing bonus.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    ESPN says $15M, Cot's says $14M. ESPN must be prorating the $6M signing bonus.
    Baseball reference also has 14M

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Ongoing discrepancy on Morneua's contract amount, ESPN says $15M, BR says $14M- but down from the front-end $15M that Morneau got in the first few years of his extension, Cot's says Morneau has been paid $14M throughout the contract.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Ongoing discrepancy on Morneua's contract amount, ESPN says $15M, BR says $14M- but down from the front-end $15M that Morneau got in the first few years of his extension, Cot's says Morneau has been paid $14M throughout the contract.
    In any event, there's more to a player's salary than just on field production...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast