Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Step Right Up...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanklenuts View Post
    Because that doesn't really solve the problem. If they want to call up Walters or Albers they will need to 60 day DL Wood and DFA someone. Whether or not the the Twins expect anything out of Wood, there is no point in possibly losing him. If he gets healthy and they still need the additional roster spot, they can DFA him then. There is no benefit in making that decision today.
    thanks, I read it wrong.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    If the team is willing to demote Worley, they damned well better be ready to send Pelfrey packing as well.
    A couple of reasons to be against this:

1. Improvement - Vance Worley had a 7.22 ERA in April and 7.20 in May showing no improvement. Pelfrey had a 7.66 ERA in April but dropped it 2 runs to 5.50 in May.

2. Injury - Worley had a minor corrective procedure to remove bone spurs last September which we haven't heard caused him any issue this year. Pelfrey is coming off of Tommy John and was expected to start the season weaker and get better.

I don't think his leash is super long but Pelfrey probably deserves another 4-5 starts before pulling the plug.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,286 Times in 517 Posts
    I don't get why Pelfrey "deserves" anything. Much like Pedro Hernandez didn't "deserve" to lose his rotation spot.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    A couple of reasons to be against this:

1. Improvement - Vance Worley had a 7.22 ERA in April and 7.20 in May showing no improvement. Pelfrey had a 7.66 ERA in April but dropped it 2 runs to 5.50 in May.

2. Injury - Worley had a minor corrective procedure to remove bone spurs last September which we haven't heard caused him any issue this year. Pelfrey is coming off of Tommy John and was expected to start the season weaker and get better.

I don't think his leash is super long but Pelfrey probably deserves another 4-5 starts before pulling the plug.
    okay, what about Correia? Look at his May ERA.

As far as Pelfrey goes, he's basically had three good starts and a bunch of carp.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I vote to DFA Benson. He needs a fresh start (or a new line of business). We have better outfielders than him coming up, and he knows it.

I think we should keep Thielbar in the bullpen, not send him back down. Not all of those bullpen guys are worth keeping. Roenicke, I'm looking at you.

I think we should promote Albers for a week or two, until Gibson's Super-2 date is passed. It will be useful to Albers development, and we surely need some young pitchers to get better in a hurry.

I don't think Pelfrey is going anywhere. Twins management knew when they signed him that his first year back might be rocky. The price you pay is one bad year. The hope is, he regains his ability to locate pitches while he's under contract to the Twins.
    If you only do a cursory glance at their numbers, yes, Pelfrey has looked "better" (still awful).

But dig into the numbers a bit more and a different story is told.

Worley BABIP: .401 (incredibly unlucky)
    Pelfrey BABIP: .368 (very unlucky but looks like a lottery winner compared to Worley)

Worley HR/FB: 15.5% (LOL, ouch)
    Pelfrey HR/BB: 6.8% (absurdly low and will only trend upward)

Worley GB: 47.1%
    Pelfrey GB: 40.1% (given that he only puts the ball on the ground four of ten times, expect many balls to start leaving the park)

All of that translates to...

Worley xFIP: 4.83
    Pelfrey xFIP: 5.33

Worley has pitched very badly this season. Pelfrey has pitched worse, only he's slightly luckier than Worley. Nothing about watching Mike Pelfrey makes me think he's going to succeed this season. It was a good gamble but it was just that... a gamble. He shouldn't continue to get playing time if he continues putting up horrendous numbers while also magically avoiding home runs (something a pitcher has very little control over).

I'm not against the Worley demotion because he's pitching like crap, as evidenced by his mid-20s LD%. But he's not pitching worse than Pelfrey and Mike doesn't deserve a roster spot over Vance, particularly if he figures it out in Rochester.

If Hendriks was healthy, I'd be all in favor of kicking Pelfrey to the curb and giving Liam the rest of the season to prove his mettle.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I live in Chicago, so I don't see a ton of games. I watch on MLB.tv if I am sitting by my computer but I don't sit down for entire games a lot.

That said, I wanted to throw this out and there and get a sense for what everyone else thinks...

All the BABIP numbers are out there...but the few times I have seen Worley...once in person at the Cell, in possibly his only good start, he seems less unlucky and more unimaginably hittable. I feel like at a certain point his BABIP isn't about luck as much as he's just getting crushed. Granted his BABIP will come down because that number is crazy high, but I have a hard time thinking that number is solely bad luck.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish Pelfrey all the best, but he is only under contract for this year.

This is a lost year. It was in March and we all pretty much knew that. Let the kids pitch and see if any of them can stick. I would rather see us getting our a$$ kicked while we are finding if any of those youngsters can make it in the bigs.

Frankly, I don't see what Pelfrey, or Correia for that matter, do for our future.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post

This is a lost year. It was in March and we all pretty much knew that. Let the kids pitch and see if any of them can stick. I would rather see us getting our a$$ kicked while we are finding if any of those youngsters can make it in the bigs.

Frankly, I don't see what Pelfrey, or Correia for that matter, do for our future.
    This should be rephrased in the form of a question by the media, and directed yet again to the FO.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'd give Pelphrey until Gibson reaches his Super 2 date (June something?). They knew when they signed him it could take half the season for him to get back on track. I'd love if he'd accept a demotion now though, and just go down for 3-5 starts. Call up albers or walters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post

After getting over my initial frustration with the signings, my hope was they would pitch adaquate enough to fetch a couple low level prospects who would not require 40-man roster moves. Pelfrey has thrown that option out the window and Correia's honeymoon period is quickly fading.

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Worley has pitched very badly this season. Pelfrey has pitched worse, only he's slightly luckier than Worley.
    Brock, have to be very careful with assigning all BABIP variations to luck. We're still dealing with SSS here and, as you alluded to when pointing out the LD%, BABIP doesn't catch how hard a pitcher is getting crushed. I'd have a .700 BABIP, but it wouldn't be because I'm unlucky.

You keep on pointing out his FIP also, but some glimmer of hope can be expected there given that Worley hasn't walked a ton of guys and his HR rate hasn't been terrible (which you could very possibly call lucky).

I don't think either one capture how poorly he has truly pitched.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12