Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beloit Snappers Opening Day Roster

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Beloit Snappers Opening Day Roster

BELOIT SNAPPERS
    Manager: Nelson Prada… Hitting Coach: Tommy Watkins… Pitching Coach: Gary Lucas

Pitchers: AJ Achter, Madison Boer, Bart Carter, Clinton Dempster, Nelvin Fuentes, Steven Gruver, Cole Nelson (DL), Ryan O’Rourke, Tim Shibuya, Matt Summers, Matt Tomshaw, Michael Tonkin, Jason Wheeler, Corey Williams

Catchers: Matt Koch, Jairo Rodriguez, Kyle Knudson (DL)

Infielders: Rory Rhodes, AJ Pettersen, Eddie Rosario, Adam Bryant, Tyler Grimes, Miguel Sano,

Outfielders: Jhon Goncalves, Wang-Wei Lin, Daniel Ortiz, Nate Roberts (DL), JD Williams

SUMMARY THOUGHTS:
    This is a very talented roster. Those 2011 draft picks force their way onto this roster and combine with some pitchers who threw very well for the Snappers a year ago. O’Rourke and Achter pitched well as starters for the Snappers in 2012. Shibuya was the Appalachian League Pitcher of the Year last year. Summers, Gruver and Williams all pitched well in the E-Town bullpen a year ago, but in their first full seasons, each could get some time as starters as well. Tomshaw was a 42nd round pick just last year. He got a chance with the Miracle and became one of their better starters late in the year. He’ll step back to the Snappers. Tonkin likely pitches at the end of games. Wheeler signed late last year, but two summers ago, he was the pitcher of the year in the Northwoods League. There are some strong arms and talented pitchers.

The players that everyone is excited to see are Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario. The two combined for 41 home runs in their 68 game season last year. Rosario was the Player of the Year in the Appy League, and Sano is the teams consensus top prospect. Bryant and Grimes were drafted last year and held their own with the Snappers in the second half. Pettersen was also drafted last year and played well in E-Town after breaking his nose running into a fastball. Rhodes is 6-7 and the Australian has very good power. He can help the infielders with his big target at 1B. Lin is back in Beloit for the third straight season, and Goncalves comes back after spending most of the past two seasons in Ft. Myers. JD Williams quietly had a remarkable season in Elizabethton last year, hitting for average, getting on base and stealing bases. He may be as fast as anyone in the organization.

Twins fans, it is 5 1/2 hours from the Twin Cities to Beloit. I know I'll be making at least two trips to see the Snappers this summer (and I'm 13 hours from Beloit).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Goncalves goes back a level, Nelson, too.

Wan-Wei repeats the leve, as does Ortiz.

Nate Roberts is hurt a lot.

Tonkin repeats as does O'Rourke.

That's a number of guys not improving.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

How come Vargas isn't on the roster? Does the suspension clock start even though he'll still be in EST?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    The higher levels are finally getting an influx of talent but once again, Beloit is where the excitement is. The Twins have a habit of keeping players at low A an entire year regardless of their play. I wonder if any of the top guys will get a chance of advancement. I kind of thought Boer had a chance to start at Ft. Myers. He was an accomplished college reliever, those are the guys who often profile for the fast track.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jnygaard View Post
    Seth,

How come Vargas isn't on the roster? Does the suspension clock start even though he'll still be in EST?
    This is a great question, one I had to ask... According to MLB rules, a suspended player must serve the suspension for the team he was on when he was suspended. In other words, Vargas was suspended while playing in Elizabethton, so the remainder of his suspension must be served with E-Town.

That stinks for him because he'll have to miss the first 31 games of the Elizabethton season, so he won't be able to play in games until early August. If he could have been promoted to Beloit to start this season, he could have been playing in mid-May.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The higher levels are finally getting an influx of talent but once again, Beloit is where the excitement is. The Twins have a habit of keeping players at low A an entire year regardless of their play. I wonder if any of the top guys will get a chance of advancement. I kind of thought Boer had a chance to start at Ft. Myers. He was an accomplished college reliever, those are the guys who often profile for the fast track.
    Lots here... consider the Twins brought in a lot of competition and a lot of players played quite well in camp and are at AAA. That didn't stop the prospects from advancing, but the increased numbers means that players will likely be playing this year where they should be. The big league club had a lot of injuries and that affected things throughout the system. There were also several minor leaguers injured. This year, they're where they should be. For some, that means repeating, which isn't always a bad thing at all.

Boer could probably pitch in the FM bullpen, but the FM bullpen is stacked. Also, the Twins have been adament about giving him a chance to start, so I would guess he'll start as a starter with the Snappers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    the FM bullpen is stacked

Where is their roster? Been looking for it past couple of days, and their website is very slow in updating material,unless it's a promotional event.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    the FM bullpen is stacked

Where is their roster? Been looking for it past couple of days, and their website is very slow in updating material,unless it's a promotional event.
    I just posted it with some thoughts.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting... so it looks like Nick Lockwood will be repeating (or rather three-peating) E-town...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

There are a few guys I haven't found a placement for. (I haven't seen New Britain's DL yet, so that might clear up a few things.)

Tobias Streich (assuming he'll stay in EST and learn how to pitch)
    Dallas Gallant (assuming he'll continue rehab in EST)
    Spencer Steedley (he's spent a lot of time on the NB DL)
    Ryde Rodriguez (EST to Ft. Myers when ready?)
    Jhonathan Arias

Any idea?

All the other guys spent more than half of last year in rookie ball, so I'd assume that's where the rest will be... for now.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Streich, Gallant and Arias are in EST...
    Steedley was released a couple of weeks ago.
    I honestly am not certain on Ryde Rodriguez. I will have to find out. He's been working with the Ft. Myers group, so I am going to assume that he was possibly released, but I hate to assume that.

Also, I just posted the EST roster as I am aware of it.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vargas told his host family that he will be playing on April 26th. It must be different with rookie ball teams.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    Vargas told his host family that he will be playing on April 26th. It must be different with rookie ball teams.
    He still has to serve part of his 50 day suspension from last season...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    He still has to serve part of his 50 day suspension from last season...
    yes, he has 21 games left on it, my ? is whether he can serve it on Beloits restricted list.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    yes, he has 21 games left on it, my ? is whether he can serve it on Beloits restricted list.
    See my response to that question up above.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    See my response to that question up above.
    I saw,it but I believe that there is a loophole for him because of short season. The brewers did this with Cody Adams a few years back.

We just received our official roster tonight, that is why it hasn't been up on the site. I have worked the past month on getting everything up to date, but please pass along anything you see that may need it. This is my fourth week, so still working out the kinks. Email [email protected]

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The hope has to be for Nate Roberts to end the year with Fort Myers, right? I thought for sure that he would be promoted to begin the year.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Catchers: Matt Koch, Jairo Rodriguez, Kyle Knudson (DL)

Infielders: Rory Rhodes, AJ Pettersen, Eddie Rosario, Adam Bryant, Tyler Grimes, Miguel Sano,

Outfielders: Jhon Goncalves, Wang-Wei Lin, Daniel Ortiz, Nate Roberts (DL), JD Williams

Williams
    Grimes (Roberts when healthy)
    Rosario
    Sano
    Rhodes
    Ortiz
    Bryant/Goncalves
    Koch
    Lin/Pettersen

This team is also loaded all-around.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    The hope has to be for Nate Roberts to end the year with Fort Myers, right? I thought for sure that he would be promoted to begin the year.
    I would hope so... he's just got to get on the field and play. Needs to stay healthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast