Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins Miss Golden Opportunity to Promote Top Prospect

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Miss Golden Opportunity to Promote Top Prospect

With the news of Trevor Plouffe's concussion symptoms and the demotion of Vance Worley, changes are coming in bunches to the Twins' roster. When the Twins elected to promote Chris Colabello to replace Plouffe while he is injures, I began to wonder if the seven-day period that Plouffe is projected to be out would be a good time for the Twins to promote and check out what they have in Miguel Sano at this moment.

"In case you haven’t heard, Sano is currently hitting .359 with 13 HR and 36 RBI with 55 hits and 40 runs over 153 at-bats in 42 games at high Class-A. Many analysts and baseball executives would say that Sano is not ready for the majors and that certainly may be correct, but would it hurt to promote Sano to the majors for the projected seven day period that Plouffe would be on the disabled list?"

What do you think Twins Centric, is my idea crazy or am I on to something? I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Miguel Sano: Minnesota Twins Squander Chance to Reward Top Prospect

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwille View Post

What do you think Twins Centric, is my idea crazy or am I on to something? I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

You really want to throw that meatball out there?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is an interesting thought, but I would like to see Sano at least spend some time at AA first. I would like to see the management try to put a competitive team on the field whether or not we are going to make the playoffs. That might not include Sano right now though.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not an interesting thought at all. Sano should be promoted to AA pronto. But that is all for now.

Typical casualfan.jpg analysis.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwille View Post
    With the news of Trevor Plouffe's concussion symptoms and the demotion of Vance Worley, changes are coming in bunches to the Twins' roster. When the Twins elected to promote Chris Colabello to replace Plouffe while he is injures, I began to wonder if the seven-day period that Plouffe is projected to be out would be a good time for the Twins to promote and check out what they have in Miguel Sano at this moment.

"In case you haven’t heard, Sano is currently hitting .359 with 13 HR and 36 RBI with 55 hits and 40 runs over 153 at-bats in 42 games at high Class-A. Many analysts and baseball executives would say that Sano is not ready for the majors and that certainly may be correct, but would it hurt to promote Sano to the majors for the projected seven day period that Plouffe would be on the disabled list?"

Colabello has been mashing at AAA. Why would we call anyone other them him at this point especially when they are not ready.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The story was very well-written. Also, you back an initially "crazy" suggestion with some decent reasoning. If one is going to argue this point, this is a pretty good way to go about it.

The thing is NOBODY makes the jump from A ball to the majors, especially in the middle of the season. Mike Trout had 400+ plate appearances in AA. Bryce Harper had time in AA and time in AAA (although both were short). That doesn't mean nobody should ever do it, but it would be highly unusual.

It is also not without risk. The biggest step in the minors is the one from HIgh A to AA. This would be that times three. Maybe Sano loses some confidence or develops some bad habits. That's sort of the ethereal risk.

The more concrete one is that he would need to be addded to the 40 man roster, so when they sent him back down, he would use the first of his three option years. Essentially, that means he must STICK on the major league roster by 2016. Essentially, he cannot struggle in his introduction to the majors or be sent back down to Rochester to work on his fielding or strike zone recognition.

So, I think this was a nice try, and you lay out the perfect attitude for trying it, but I still wouldn't promote him that far that fast.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nobody goes from A+ to the Majors. The real question is whether Sano should be at AA right now. I'm pretty "meh" on the topic. If they think he can stick at third, he could probably use the seasoning. On the other hand, he could also continue learning how to field in New Britain. I haven't seen enough real evidence (or actual game footage) to know much of anything.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. You don't burn an option year for a 7-day test drive.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Keep him down, the longer they keep him down, the better. I mean, why promote him from a league he's crushing like almost no one ever does? It makes no sense to challenge him. It makes no sense to rush him, no prospect ever comes up that young or fast. You have to dominate at least 2 times through the league first. You have to field well, who cares how good your bat is. Really, there is no reason to promote him......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    No. You don't burn an option year for a 7-day test drive.
    Yup, it's all about money. Winning and hope and giving the fans a reason to come to the game is stupid.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Keep him down, the longer they keep him down, the better. I mean, why promote him from a league he's crushing like almost no one ever does? It makes no sense to challenge him. It makes no sense to rush him, no prospect ever comes up that young or fast. You have to dominate at least 2 times through the league first. You have to field well, who cares how good your bat is. Really, there is no reason to promote him......
    Challenge him by sending him to New Britain. You don't throw him to the wolves in MLB straight from A+ ball. He'd be annihilated. Look at Arcia. He's doing well, not great, and he has absolutely crushed every level he's been promoted to, including AAA.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Great idea, but why stop there? Shouldn't Buxton be playing CF too? Rosario at 2nd?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Yup, it's all about money. Winning and hope and giving the fans a reason to come to the game is stupid.
    Seriously, why so bitter? Bringing up a 19 year old from A+ is down right stupid. I could list the ways but people with heads on their shoulders have already listed them on this page. I can't believe this is actually a question. Sano needs to work at 3rd base everyday in Ft. Myers, then after the allstar, he can move up to New Britain. I don't think he should be called up for September even if he is mashing at AA. Give him some time and re-assess next year.

Thumbs down; DISLIKE!

Senior Member MVP
    Actually, I'm arguing to move him to AA, I left that part off by accident. challenge him. My bad.

TT, you can dislike it all you want, but until we see evidence something has changed, it has not changed.

*edited addition:
    I'm bitter because I'm a fan.....fans by nature are irrational, otherwise we would not be fans. This GM and ownership team have shown no desire to commit to win, but plenty to cut payroll, even though they get $25MM more next year, and have 1 guy on the roster after this year that makes more than $7MM. I'm bitter because this will be the third year in a row they are one of the three worst teams in MLB. I'm bitter because there is virtually no hope they are better next year, because Sano will move 1 rung at a time. I'm bitter because Hicks isn't good, and Arcia is just ok/bad. I'm bitter because Ryan and company actually believed Correia, Pelfrey, Worley was a good idea. I'm bitter because they have no MIF, 3B, SP. I'm bitter because they have a brand new stadium where they could be printing money, but prefer to turn the fans off by being cheap and always thinking about the future and never the present.
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 05-23-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
    mike wants wins, thanks for the information. I hadn't realized they wouldn't be better next year until you told me.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought about moving Sano up too. I then slapped myself in the face and had to change my shorts. I'd love to see him now, but burning an option year would not be worth it if he struggles to adjust. I'm fine with him spending a little time in A+ and being promoted to AA after the break. Once he is in AA and doing well, he could be called up at any time. Once September hits he can be called up without using an option, which might happen if he continues to destroy and the Twins continue to suck.

I would advocate more bringing up Gibbysie and Myersie to help this team. They would have more of an impact than Sano at this point.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    mike wants wins, thanks for the information. I hadn't realized they wouldn't be better next year until you told me.
    I thought it was clear that entire rant was irrational, I even said that.
    Lighten up Francis....

Actually, I'm arguing to move him to AA, I left that part off by accident. challenge him. My bad.

TT, you can dislike it all you want, but until we see evidence something has changed, it has not changed.

*edited addition:
    I'm bitter because I'm a fan.....fans by nature are irrational, otherwise we would not be fans. This GM and ownership team have shown no desire to commit to win, but plenty to cut payroll, even though they get $25MM more next year, and have 1 guy on the roster after this year that makes more than $7MM. I'm bitter because this will be the third year in a row they are one of the three worst teams in MLB. I'm bitter because there is virtually no hope they are better next year, because Sano will move 1 rung at a time. I'm bitter because Hicks isn't good, and Arcia is just ok/bad. I'm bitter because Ryan and company actually believed Correia, Pelfrey, Worley was a good idea. I'm bitter because they have no MIF, 3B, SP. I'm bitter because they have a brand new stadium where they could be printing money, but prefer to turn the fans off by being cheap and always thinking about the future and never the present.
    I understand that losing sucks. But there is a difference between bitter and pessimism. This thread had nothing to do with money or anything like that. No GM would bring Sano up right now. His defense at third is by all accounts, above terrible but below adequate. To make a statement about money and hope is straight foolish. When the Twins are winning abain, you will be thanking them for not rushing these guys up the latter. Sano will be in New Britain this year, probably after the All-star break. I am guessing Rosarrio will also be up. If Buxton gets out of his slump (which is not really a slump), he will be up after the All-Star game as well. The past moves have shown the Twins do not value service time as much as members (me included) of this site do. Gibson is going to get called up and could be considered a super 2. There is my Pro-WE (twins) rant for today. The future is very bright mike. Your wins will come. Just don't rub our noses in the losing on every thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast