Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now is it time to get rid of Anderson??

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    On a totally unrelated note not at all related to this situation even in a little bit, has anyone noticed Liriano's start with Pittsburgh? His 1st two outings he didn't make it out of the 6th but was pretty dominant. He went seven and was dominant again yesterday. I wonder what got into him, he was always a slow starter in MN?
    I noticed a quote from Anderson that was recently published stating he "knew Liriano would be a good pitcher now that he was going to the NL," or something to that effect. In other words, Anderson knew that Liriano would realize his potential once he joined another team.

Isn't that pretty much a direct admission of personal failure? I know it's a bit easier to get good results in the Senior Circuit (someone tell TR) but that's a little hard to stomach.

I'll say this much: if Anderson can't work with guys like Liriano (erratic with big stuff and tricky mechanics) then he's clearly not the one who should be handling this next wave, with Meyer/May/etc.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I noticed a quote from Anderson that was recently published stating he "knew Liriano would be a good pitcher now that he was going to the NL," or something to that effect. In other words, Anderson knew that Liriano would realize his potential once he joined another team.

Isn't that pretty much a direct admission of personal failure? I know it's a bit easier to get good results in the Senior Circuit (someone tell TR) but that's a little hard to stomach.

I'll say this much: if Anderson can't work with guys like Liriano (erratic with big stuff and tricky mechanics) then he's clearly not the one who should be handling this next wave, with Meyer/May/etc.
    ' Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson spoke with someone in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization during the offseason and told them he thought Liriano would "prosper" in the National League because those hitters aren't yet used to Frankie's sweeping slider.'

1500espn.com Mobile

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    ' Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson spoke with someone in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization during the offseason and told them he thought Liriano would "prosper" in the National League because those hitters aren't yet used to Frankie's sweeping slider.'

1500espn.com Mobile
    It would appear the unspoken implication there is that he might not do as well once they've seen him a few times. That remains to be seen, but would be consistent with Frankie's history.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    It would appear the unspoken implication there is that he might not do as well once they've seen him a few times. That remains to be seen, but would be consistent with Frankie's history.
    I was just providing the quote. I'm glad he's gone, myself.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post

I have those concerns as well. However I wonder if the Twins failure with Liriano had more to do with Liriano's style not meshing with the Twins philosophy more than anything. The Twins could not get around the fact that Liriano was not going to go deep into a lot of games due to a high pitch count. It seemed that they would try to push him to limit pitches to become more of a Twins type of pitcher, yet he would then just become hittable which would limit his innings anyway.

It's frustrating becuase the Twins show displeasure with pitchers who don't go deep into games due to a high pitch count attributed to working into deep counts and allowing free passes yet seem to make excuses for pitchers who don't go deep into games because they are extremely hittable.

Liriano probably will do well in the NL. He might lose some steam once teams see his slider for the second time and start laying off, but he'll probably succeed because the Pirates won't get as frustrated with him not being able to finish 7 innings.

Senior Member All-Star
    That would seem logical but it was not how Liriano's productivity played out in Minnesota. He was actually at his worst in the beginning of the year. April was his worst month. He usually became lights out in late May through July before tailing off again.

I always associated his April struggles with him being rusty, but this year he missed the first month and has pitched well in his first three starts. Perhaps it wasn't rust that caused him to pitch poorly early, perhaps it was the weather. Who knows. Either way, he usually pitched well through the mid-summer which means, at least for division foes, they had usually already faced him.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's increasingly difficult to be positive about Rick Anderson. Sure, he doesn't have much in the way of talent to coach but what little talent he does have hasn't exactly thrived over the past three seasons.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Frankie's slider has consistently been one of the top 4 or 5 in baseball. He just can't throw it unless he gets ahead in the count. That's been his problem, falling behind hitters neutralizes his best pitch.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's increasingly difficult to be positive about Rick Anderson. Sure, he doesn't have much in the way of talent to coach but what little talent he does have hasn't exactly thrived over the past three seasons.
    Yeah, the past couple of years, Cuellar's rag tag team of over achieving AAAA pitchers with suspect baseball skills perform as well or better than Anderson's bargain barrel mess of vets the front office gives him. Neither have had much to work with but Cuellar certainly has made more out of the lack of talent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yes indeed. I think most are starting to agree an overall shakeup of the pitching philosophy is probably called for. It would start with Anderson.

I still have a theory of the staff this season. The change is starting with half the staff but Ryan wanted to keep some stability so Gardy and Anderson stayed. Ryan was fine with this because he knew the season would be a struggle and didn't want the stink on the new manager. Molitor gets another year to work with the youngsters in the minors and leads them going forward.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The other part of that too, is that Ryan didn't technically fire anybody, he merely chose not to renew contracts. Gardy and Andy happen to have another year. They're paying them that year wether they coach or not, why not let them ride it out, see if they turn it around. If not, come end of the season you just let them walk and bring in new folks, who aren't going to feel quite as much pressure as they would if they came into a situation where a GM had made a mid-season firing or had fired ALL the coaches at once. It also looks better from a PR standpoint.

And for all that some folks here hate Gardy, there are plenty of fans who don't, and they aren't going to want to "rock the boat" with the fans any more than absolutley nesc. Remember, Twins fans as a whole aren't used to management turn over. For people 25 and under, there have only been TWO Twins managers in their entire life. For better or worse, that is the Twins culture, and you can't just change it overnight without risking serious blowback from the community.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry if I missed this as I didn't read through all of the posts, but I have to wonder if the entire rotation needs a different warmup approach, because these first innings are OUT OF CONTROL. I always thought that warming up for awhile, sitting down (like for equivalent of half an innings) and then warming up again some right before game time was a way some pitchers and pitching coaches addressed DEBACLES in the first inning. Any thoughts?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Sorry if I missed this as I didn't read through all of the posts, but I have to wonder if the entire rotation needs a different warmup approach, because these first innings are OUT OF CONTROL. I always thought that warming up for awhile, sitting down (like for equivalent of half an innings) and then warming up again some right before game time was a way some pitchers and pitching coaches addressed DEBACLES in the first inning. Any thoughts?
    So you're saying "shotgun a beer, pat 'em on the ass, and yell 'Go get 'em, tiger!" isn't a solid pre-game routine?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    That was a question I raised yesterday, in a forum thread asking about their 1st inning ERA (9.something) and what was behind that.

Which starting pitcher under Rick Anderson's tutelage has actually improved since coming up from the minor leagues? I'm having trouble coming up with any names.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's just getting to the point where a total gutting of the team is probably going to be needed to turn it around. I don't think Gardy or Anderson is really the problem but I think the organization needs a "reset" button hit.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We kinda already have gone through a gutting. Only Mauer, Morneau, Duensing and Perkins were on the 2010 team, and Plouffe and Diamond are the only others that have been on the team since 2011.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    We kinda already have gone through a gutting. Only Mauer, Morneau, Duensing and Perkins were on the 2010 team, and Plouffe and Diamond are the only others that have been on the team since 2011.
    I was thinking more from the coaching end, which has been partially done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12