Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Article: Vance Worley Demoted to AAA-Rochester

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    It appears, Worley has a good attitude regarding his demotion.
    Quoted in the Bollinger Beat

I just need to work on being myself and getting back to what I was doing,” said Worley, who had a career 3.50 ERA in three seasons with the Phillies. “They haven’t seen what I’ve been capable of doing. Ever since I’ve been here, it’s been a battle so I need to figure it out.”
    Last edited by Highabove; 05-22-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Good move - he's young enough to still figure this out.

But man, he has been brutal.

If he flames out, maybe the Twins can hire him as a coach to throw batting practice.

Now, Gibson time! Give this young man some major league innings before he turns 30!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2015 can't come soon enough

They are yet again an absolutely unwatchable ball team. It's as bad as watching the Wolves play mid-season. Blame Gardy or whichever player you want but this in on the Pohlad family. Winning will never be more important than beating last year's profits. I hope Gibson gets called up. He's 25! If they're waiting for more consistency out of him I can only wonder what they are waiting for with their current rotation.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwintheiser View Post
    I suspect the Twins are waiting to hear from Worley's agent as to whether or not he'll accept the assignment (his option was exercised by the Phillies in his rookie year).

It seems unlikely he'll decline the assignment, but if he does, that opens a spot on the 40-man; otherwise, he'll likely just be replaced on the 25-man.
    If he had an option year remaining, he can't decline assignment (at least not until he has 5 years of MLB service time).

Are you perhaps thinking of being outrighted, off the 40-man? That can only happen once without your consent.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Piranha View Post
    Of those guys, I think Butera can be put on waivers without the risk of him getting claimed. All the other guys might get claimed, so I would put Ramirez and then Wood on waivers if I had to. Those are two guys that don't figure in the Twins plans now or in the future.
    I think they will just move Wood to the 60 day DL and not risk losing anyone.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Worley to Rochester, Pelfrey to ?, if Correia sputters to Blackburn level is anyone/thing also on their/its way out?

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    If he had an option year remaining, he can't decline assignment (at least not until he has 5 years of MLB service time).

Are you perhaps thinking of being outrighted, off the 40-man? That can only happen once without your consent.
    Right, it's Pelfrey who has an option remaining but could refuse it based on the 5 year clause.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Don't forget, they will be playing meaningful games in September.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    I don't care if I ever see Worley in a Twins uniform again. Actually, I do care...I hope I don't.

He quickly cemented a place on my "all time least favorite Twins" list in April, and has been steadily moving up since. He passed Tommy Herr long ago.

The lack of stuff is one thing, but what I hated most:
    - the haircut
    - the "you owe me that call" look every time a close pitch didn't go his way
    - the "you owe me that play" look every time a tough play wasn't made behind him
    - the impression I got that he was pissed at the world because he ended up in lowly Minnesota, rather than pitching for the Phillies, which was his birthright

Good riddance.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley was optioned in 11 and 12, so he has an option left. The only time you couldn't option a player who has options left is if he has 5+ years of service. Worley doesn't. It was mentioned above that the Twins could avoid arbitration if he spends a month in AAA; that's true. The believed cutoff for Super-2 status is 2.133 years. Worley had 1.152 coming into this season. You can spend 11 days in the minors and still get credit for a full 172 and Worley would need 20 less than that... so June 23 would be the day that would *presumably* be the day that leaves him 1 day short of Super-2 status.

Also, there was a write-up on Fangraphs about Worley earlier today. (It looks like something Parker would do, if that's up your alley.)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    We all know it, but Twins management insists that they need to see more consistency from Gibson before he's worthy of the call. No such "criteria" is needed for Walters, you know what you're going to get from Walters provided he's healthy.

Regarding Albers, I'd like nothing better than to see him called up and succeed, but his current stuff (FB in the mid-80s?) apparently doesn't translate to the majors, ala Slama.
    The last scouting report I saw from 2011 had Albers hitting 90 with his fastball, since when did his velocity decrease to mid 80's?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm happy that no roster spots are guaranteed.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It has to be Gibson. They used Mastro's spot for Colabello. They will likely use Woods' spot for Deduno. They are running out of 60-day DL candidates. I suppose they could DFA someone. But whom?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
    The last scouting report I saw from 2011 had Albers hitting 90 with his fastball, since when did his velocity decrease to mid 80's?
    The report I got was from 2012 and said his FB was hitting in the mid-80s.
    Here's an excerpt from ESPN1500 from May 12, 2013:

"Ryan said Albers has "left-handed funk" and that he "relies a lot on deception."
    That could be said for a lot of successful left-handers in the game, past and present.
    But what the Twins organization likes about Albers is that he's not afraid to throw strikes -- even as a soft-tosser -- with an arsenal that isn't the traditional sinker-slider that one might expect out of a contact pitcher.'

That shouldn't make anyone comfortable that Alber's stuff automatically translates to the majors.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 Times in 493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    You can spend 11 days in the minors and still get credit for a full 172

A player on an optional assignment will get credit for a full season of service unless they spend at least 20 days in the minors.

It would be 11 days if the player is not on an option (DFA'd), or didn't start the season on the 40-man (Wil Myers).
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ironic that Worley's two worst starts were against NL teams, including one with no DH. Then again, maybe not so ironic since both the Mets and the Braves had seen him multiple times.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A serious question. Do the Twins alter their rotation a bit here? Deduno was supposed to pitch yesterday, I believe. Maybe he should go right away on Thursday, giving Diamond an extra day. Also Pelfrey could probably go any time between Friday and Sunday since he only worked two innings thanks to the rain. Gibson's scheduled day would be Friday, but if he's called up, Saturday would be a good day to start him.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    A serious question. Do the Twins alter their rotation a bit here? Deduno was supposed to pitch yesterday, I believe. Maybe he should go right away on Thursday, giving Diamond an extra day. Also Pelfrey could probably go any time between Friday and Sunday since he only worked two innings thanks to the rain. Gibson's scheduled day would be Friday, but if he's called up, Saturday would be a good day to start him.
    Why? What would be the goal?

I would just assume whoever replaces Worley (Gibson?) would pitch Monday, in Worley's normal spot. Is there really a reason to change, other than tinkering?
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 05-22-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The report I got was from 2012 and said his FB was hitting in the mid-80s.
    Here's an excerpt from ESPN1500 from May 12, 2013:

"Ryan said Albers has "left-handed funk" and that he "relies a lot on deception."
    That could be said for a lot of successful left-handers in the game, past and present.
    But what the Twins organization likes about Albers is that he's not afraid to throw strikes -- even as a soft-tosser -- with an arsenal that isn't the traditional sinker-slider that one might expect out of a contact pitcher.'

That shouldn't make anyone comfortable that Alber's stuff automatically translates to the majors.
    Watching Hernandez get shelled reaffirmed in me the notion that, in today's game, if guys don't respect your fastball, they just sit offspeed, keep their hands back and hit ropes. I don't want Albers. I don't want Walters. I want Gibson. Then Meyer.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast