Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If the Pohlad's sold the Twins

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    The Pohlad boys make a profit whenever they sell it. They never paid a dime for it so I don't think they would care about paying back the state a high percentage.
    But,my thought is that they will not sell the team anytime soon as long as they keep raking in over $100M+ in profits every year. That is just simple why make let's say $600M right now by selling the team when they can make the same $600M in 4 or 5 years and still keep ownership.
    Why sell the goose that lays the golden eggs?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Have you stayed at a Holiday Inn lately?
    Holiday Inn EXPRESS!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    The Pohlad boys make a profit whenever they sell it. They never paid a dime for it so I don't think they would care about paying back the state a high percentage.
    But,my thought is that they will not sell the team anytime soon as long as they keep raking in over $100M+ in profits every year. That is just simple why make let's say $600M right now by selling the team when they can make the same $600M in 4 or 5 years and still keep ownership.
    Why sell the goose that lays the golden eggs?
    While certainly possible, $100M+ seems a little high. If that was truly the case, teams would sell for even more than they currently are.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    I imagine in general the Pohlads are pretty middle of the road when it comes to owners. They are conservative and prefer a profit, but there are plenty that are much worse. And surely plenty that are much better.
    Papers...business papers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I imagine in general the Pohlads are pretty middle of the road when it comes to owners. They are conservative and prefer a profit, but there are plenty that are much worse. And surely plenty that are much better.
    I for one appreciate that they don't make rash changes in management. Yes, sometimes the need for change comes, and that time may be here, but there are too many owners, in this country and abroad, that have such unrealistic expectations for success that they change management so frequently that there is never a chance to build stability, which I think is a key part of building for success.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 05-22-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    You assume correctly. This is, in no way, a rant against the Pohlads. It's me looking for info and nothing more or sinister behind it.
    Puck, I seem to recall that you were the author of a vicious anti-Pohlad rant not so long ago.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wait, you didn't win the powerball jackpot did you?

Seriously though, pretty sure there is no way in hell the Pohlads will sell anytime soon. Even though the team isn't performing great, they are still drawing pretty good crowds and turning a decent profit. They own the radio station that is the flagship of the twins radio network, they just dumped a ton of money in renovating the ford center right next to target field, and they play host to the All-Star game next year.

They have absolutely zero reasons to sell, and every reason to hang on to the team

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post

Seriously though, pretty sure there is no way in hell the Pohlads will sell anytime soon. Even though the team isn't performing great, they are still drawing pretty good crowds and turning a decent profit. They own the radio station that is the flagship of the twins radio network, they just dumped a ton of money in renovating the ford center right next to target field, and they play host to the All-Star game next year.

They have absolutely zero reasons to sell, and every reason to hang on to the team
    All true, and I remember an interview Jim Pohlad gave a few years ago where he saw himself more as a fan than an owner. Yes, it is a business and they are business people, and ultimately that will drive any decision on selling in the future, but I kinda got the impression he likes baseball and having a baseball team.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Pretty good info on the details of the TF deal here:

Ballpark Proposal and Principles of Agreement - Ballpark Documents - Twins Ballpark*

There is a 30 yr "iron clad" lease in place.

The details about owing money back if the Pohlads were to sell the team are in this article as well. Bottom line: they would have owed 18% of proceeds where they to have sold at groundbreaking, that declines by 10% per year for ten years (as noted by others above). So they're something like 4 years from being able to sell the team free and clear.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Puck, I seem to recall that you were the author of a vicious anti-Pohlad rant not so long ago.
    No, I wasn't...I mentioned him in regards to dropping payroll, along with Ryan, but a complaint about one thing is hardly a vicious anti-Pohlad rant. If you have something to show instead of just throwing out baseless accusations, feel free to share with the group. I remember a poster who said he knew the Pohlads and therefore defended them against every small criticism as if it was a personal attack. Was that you? Are you doing it again even though I'm not even coming close to slamming the Pohlads?

Like I said, someone o another site mentioned they thought the Pohlad's were gearing up to sell the team, I said I didn't think they were, nor should they....then the conversation got to what the details were about paying back money to the county if they did so I went looking for specifics. Nothing more to it.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 05-23-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post

I agree.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I for one appreciate that they don't make rash changes in management. Yes, sometimes the need for change comes, and that time may be here, but there are too many owners, in this country and abroad, that have such unrealistic expectations for success that they change management so frequently that there is never a chance to build stability, which I think is a key part of building for success.
    I really agree with this point. Stability is a positive. There comes a point when leaders can become stale and fresh approaches may be warranted but not sure Ryan is there yet.

The other positive of the Pohlads is they don't meddle in baseball ops. That is usually a disaster. Hire solid people and get out if the way.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I generally agree that stability is good, but there are times for change. The changes in the minors were important, imo. Players were coming up that could not do the fundamentals of hitting cutoff guys, running well, etc. It was time for a change, I'm not sure that change was fundamental enough, be we'll see.

As for Ryan, I'm not a fan, but I did argue to give him at least this year to see if he could make better decisions. So far, his major decisions have not worked. KC and Pelfrey and Worely are as bad (or worse) as most people thought. Hicks has not been ready. May looks like the guy he was last year, when people started to think he was a reliever. Only Meyer looks like a good decision so far. That's not a good ratio, imo. If they lose 90 games again, how many more years do you give him? If Sano comes up next year, and is great, that is not on Ryan.....he wa acquired by Smith's FO. So how would you judge Ryan, assuming he gets another year?

As for the Pohlads, assuming that they are not asking for the budget to be cut, I agree to an extent. Owners should stay out of the operations. But, if Ryan fails, it's partly on their lack of wilingness to makes changes when needed.

So, I'd say incomplete for me right now.....

*edited for speeling
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 05-23-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    But,my thought is that they will not sell the team anytime soon as long as they keep raking in over $100M+ in profits every year.
    Yeah... they don't make $100+ Million in profits a year. Forbes estimated that they had an operating income of around $10.4MM last year (which doesn't equal profits, but income before interest they have to pay on loans and taxes). All estimates because we can't get the real numbers because they're not a public company. They are still making a profit on the team though.
    MLB Team Values: The Business Of Baseball - Forbes

Operating Income (very close to EBIT): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earnin...rest_and_taxes

As far as the Pohlad's selling the team... I'm kind of mixed. We could definitely have worse owners. I don't think there is any reason why they would sell at the moment.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Mike - I think incomplete is about as kind as we can be right now. I'm not especially concerned about the record this year as I had minimal expectations no matter who was signed. I saw this year as the opportunity to see what younger players had and if they could contribute to a future winning team.

What I want to see is overall progress in the organization, especially in the minors and so far so good.

The second part is how the front office responds to information gathered with midseason trades and offseason moves. That part is quite incomplete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12