Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Chris Colabello to be promoted to Twins

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Well, that makes perfect sense...after all, he's almost 30 and he's played a whopping 13 games in the OF between indy ball and the minors over the last 8 or 9 years...

But hey, he's played 4 game this year in the OF and had two chances during those games...I'm sure he's ready for the major league OF..

That heavy snark isn't directed at you crarko, just my frustration that Gardy believes anyone can play anywhere so he just plugs them into wherever. This is the majors, hard enough to play ONE position well enough to get here and be major league quality.
    Would you rather he didn't play? Doubtful they would bench Morneau.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't mind him breaking out the old third baseman's glove, either.
    Based on our current organizational depth, if Collabello gets sent back to AAA he totally should be working on 3B. We've got plenty of sub-par corner OF/DH guys

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Would you rather he didn't play? Doubtful they would bench Morneau.

It doesn't matter to me if he plays or not.

What I'm defintely not interested in seeing is a guy who has no business being in the OF playing in the OF...

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't matter to me if he plays or not.

What I'm defintely not interested in seeing is a guy who has no business being in the OF playing in the OF...
    Hard to disagree with that. We'll have to see how he does.

I have a hard time envisioning him being much worse in the outfield than Ryan Doumit or Josh Willingham though...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Hard to disagree with that. We'll have to see how he does.

I have a hard time envisioning him being much worse in the outfield than Ryan Doumit or Josh Willingham though...
    We can add Arcia to that list...though I'm hoping it's rookie nerves with him...We have too many DH types on this team.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 531 Times in 352 Posts
    They don't have that many DH types either, assuming the H stands for hitter.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow
    Great story. Hope he hits 30 homers for the twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They don't have that many DH types either, assuming the H stands for hitter.....
    There's that.

And then they put him in right field. Go figure. Of course, no DH.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it just me, or does Colabello look kind of weird in this picture:

Capture.PNG

His head is very round and his cheeks kind of dangle.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Colabello has been OK in the outfield. Just like the others, it's hard to catch the rockets that leave the park when Worley pitches.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Moves like Colabello playing in the outfield strike me as a pretty overt acknowledge that 2013 is indeed a rebuilding year. They want to see his bat, first and foremost and with Morneau going so good, Colabello's best play to play might be the outfield. They probably also want to see if Colabello has any flexibility. The Twins have shown some anticipation in players having flexibility in the outfield, in that Parmelee looks much better in right field than many of us anticipated (especially his arm-play), and them giving CF innings to Ramirez and LF innings to Escobar. Honestly, these kind of moves seem totally prudent. They might not be looking for regular at bats for any of these guys, but they might a several good bench players, when the next core emerges. Which has been a historical issue for this team.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Imagine if Parmelee and Colabello could hit in the majors at the same level as they hit at AAA. They could platoon DH and provide powerful bench options if/when our various OF kids make their presence unnescesary in the OF.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Well, that makes perfect sense...after all, he's almost 30 and he's played a whopping 13 games in the OF between indy ball and the minors over the last 8 or 9 years...

But hey, he's played 4 game this year in the OF and had two chances during those games...I'm sure he's ready for the major league OF..

That heavy snark isn't directed at you crarko, just my frustration that Gardy believes anyone can play anywhere so he just plugs them into wherever. This is the majors, hard enough to play ONE position well enough to get here and be major league quality.
    They pulled a similar stunt with Parmelee last year. It was suspected if the Twins called up Parmelee, his best bet to get playing time would be in the outfield yet he never played any at Rochester. Either the front office doesn't have much foresight or Gene Glynn is telling them to screw off and stop messing with his team. I doubt Glynn would still be employed if the later was the case.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    What is with all the Arcia hate?
    Sure he's been streaky, and his D has been pretty sub par, but his OPS+ is 115. Not terrible for a 22 year old rookie, and is good for 2nd on the club right now (behind only Joe).
    Maybe some people expect dominance or bust from him, but I think he's hit good enough to stay up here, and should be in the line up every single day.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    They pulled a similar stunt with Parmelee last year. It was suspected if the Twins called up Parmelee, his best bet to get playing time would be in the outfield yet he never played any at Rochester. Either the front office doesn't have much foresight or Gene Glynn is telling them to screw off and stop messing with his team. I doubt Glynn would still be employed if the later was the case.
    Yeah, I get that, but Parmelee was drafted as an OF and played OF a lot in the minors. Something close to 300 games.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Yeah, I get that, but Parmelee was drafted as an OF and played OF a lot in the minors. Something close to 300 games.
    He was always a 1Bman that was pushed into the OF in the minors because Morneau was at 1B. They tried to make it work and gave up at the upper levels.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    He was always a 1Bman that was pushed into the OF in the minors because Morneau was at 1B. They tried to make it work and gave up at the upper levels.
    The other way around...he started playing more 1B than OF when Morny got his concussion...check the games played.

20 Christopher Parmelee Chino Hills HS RF L/L 6'1" 205 1988-02-24 HS 350K
    Comments: A smooth left-handed swing provides line drives now and presents the kind of power potential scouts like. His arm may play in right field and he's a good baserunner, but the bat is what will get him drafted.

Point is, there's NO comparison to the amount of games played in the OF between Colabello and Parmellee prior to hitting the majors. 13 games to almost 300.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 05-23-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    The other way around...he started playing more 1B than OF when Morny got his concussion...check the games played.

20 Christopher Parmelee Chino Hills HS RF L/L 6'1" 205 1988-02-24 HS 350K
    Comments: A smooth left-handed swing provides line drives now and presents the kind of power potential scouts like. His arm may play in right field and he's a good baserunner, but the bat is what will get him drafted.

Point is, there's NO comparison to the amount of games played in the OF between Colabello and Parmellee prior to hitting the majors. 13 games to almost 300.
    Yes, the Twins drafted Parmelee as an OF'er but that doesn't mean that they didn't force that position on him because there wasn't a spot at 1B available in the majors. His scouting reports in the low minors usually said that he was borderline awful in the OF but that the Twins were trying to make OF work so he had somewhere to play in the majors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123