Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Article: Twins Take a Hard Turn With Deduno

  1. #1
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,683
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    323

    Article: Twins Take a Hard Turn With Deduno


  2. #2
    Purely a money move made for Super 2 to save 500K(maybe) in 3 yrs
    Twins (terry ryans) cheapness goes out for years....there is a reason they are the worst team in AL the last 3yrs

  3. #3
    RELAX people. The world did not just end. Don't go all Minnesotan on me. Deduno was effective last year and in the WBC. Glad he's here. Just say no to pessimism.

    Go Twins!

  4. #4
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,757
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibzakster View Post
    Just say no to pessimism.

    Go Twins!
    OK, but can I at least say "maybe" to skepticism?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Posts
    666
    Like
    199
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    OK, but can I at least say "maybe" to skepticism?
    Haha.
    I like Deduno coming up. This will at least be something completely different.

    Gibson will be along shortly. 'Cheap' and 'wise' are not the same thing, but can sometimes occupy the same space.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,669
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Gibson will get Pelfrey's spot

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    288
    Like
    10
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't think Ryan is being cheap, I am glad Deduno is getting a shot, he's the anti-Twins starter, wild and with K ability. Gibson's time will come shortly. Pelfrey or Worley will be removed from the rotation.

  8. #8
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,715
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Every inning Gibson pitches in the minors is one less he can pitch at the MLB level this year. If they are both coming up, Gibson should come up first. heck, they should both be coming up right now, and Pelfrey should be gone. He won't bring back anything in trade, and he isn't going to help them win this year. There is absolutely no reason for him to be on the roster now that Deduno and Gibson are healthy, and they have Albers and other AAAA pitchers ready to go if needed. By the time Gibson is shut down, Meyer can come up. Not sure why this is not the plan right now.
    Lighten up Francis....

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's not the plan simply because Gibson has been very volatile and inconsistent. This is a kid that they expect to be a solid part of the rotation for 5+ years. If he can't string together 3 back to back good starts in AAA yet, who does it possibly help to shove him into a higher pressure situation against exponentially better hitters?

    It's not like a couple Gibson starts are all that's standing between the Twinkies and a title.

  10. #10
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,715
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    As opposed to Pelfry and his starts here? Or Deduno and his starts this year or last being consistent? he's going to be 26 this year, there aren't that many pitches left in his arm, frankly. Use them, or lose them. You really expect him to be super effective in 6 years, when he is 31/2? I don't.
    Lighten up Francis....

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have no idea what Gibson will be like in 6 years. But I want him to be a solid piece next year, and rushing him up here so he can get shelled by Detroit helps no one.

  12. #12
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,607
    Like
    3,679
    Liked 3,169 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    I have no idea what Gibson will be like in 6 years. But I want him to be a solid piece next year, and rushing him up here so he can get shelled by Detroit helps no one.
    If you're sure he'd get shelled by Detroit Friday, then there's not much hope he'll be a "solid piece" next year.

  13. #13
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,715
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    How is it rushing? If he's healthy at the start of the year, he's already on the roster. he's going to be 26 this year. How is pitching in AAA less impactful to his arm? Or are you suggesting he's not mentally ready?
    Lighten up Francis....

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Posts
    578
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Like
    64
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    156
    Career K% for the following:

    Vance Worley - 18.5%
    Sam Deduno - 17%
    Kevin Correia - 15.1%
    Mike Pelfrey - 12.7%
    League Average in 2013 - 20.0%

    Deduno is hardly a strikeout pitcher and the only reason he doesn't qualify as a "pitch-to-contact" pitcher is because he walks so many batters.
    Last edited by Brad Swanson; 05-22-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: pouring more cold water on everything you love

  15. #15
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    115
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Every inning Gibson pitches in the minors is one less he can pitch at the MLB level this year. If they are both coming up, Gibson should come up first. heck, they should both be coming up right now, and Pelfrey should be gone. He won't bring back anything in trade, and he isn't going to help them win this year. There is absolutely no reason for him to be on the roster now that Deduno and Gibson are healthy, and they have Albers and other AAAA pitchers ready to go if needed. By the time Gibson is shut down, Meyer can come up. Not sure why this is not the plan right now.
    Deduno should be up first. He has been more consistent than Gibson. He had some success last season. He has been dominant in WBC against best hitters in the world. His weakness is that he is not as efficient and he could not pitch deep into the game. Gibson should be the next to be called up if he could be more consistent. Walters and Albers should also get their chance.
    Last edited by jun; 05-22-2013 at 09:39 AM.

  16. #16
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,683
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Career K% for the following:

    Vance Worley - 18.5%
    Sam Deduno - 17%
    Kevin Correia - 15.1%
    Mike Pelfrey - 12.7%
    League Average in 2013 - 20.0%

    Deduno is hardly a strikeout pitcher and the only reason he doesn't qualify as a "pitch-to-contact" pitcher is because he walks so many batters.
    Career opponents' batting average / slugging:

    Worley - .280 / .424
    Deduno - .248 / .399
    Correia - .273 / .430
    Pelfrey - .287 / .419
    League average in 2013 - .255 / .413

    Deduno may not be a pure strikeout pitcher but he's legitimately tough to hit, and that's been true everywhere -- minors/majors/whatever. He might pitch to contact when he's not issuing walks but he doesn't pitch to hard contact. In contrast to the current suspects, that intrigues me. I also suspect he'll be above his career K-rate this year if he keeps throwing the way he has been.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Posts
    578
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Like
    64
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    156
    At AAA this season:

    Start 1 - 5.1 innings - 4 Ks, 4 BB, 5 hits, 0 ER, 100 pitches
    Start 2 - 5.2 innings - 5 Ks, 4 BB, 4 hits, 1 ER, 99 pitches
    Start 3 - 6.1 innings - 8 Ks, 2 BB, 5 hits, 4 ER, 93 pitches

    He had little to no success last season:

    6.5 K/9
    6.0 BB/9
    4.44 ERA, 1.544 WHIP
    15 starts - 79 innings

    The WBC was an exhibition and he made three starts, totaling 13 innings.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    WBC may be an exhibition to US, but the other countries are taking it serious, that's for sure.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Posts
    578
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Like
    64
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Career opponents' batting average / slugging:

    Worley - .280 / .424
    Deduno - .248 / .399
    Correia - .273 / .430
    Pelfrey - .287 / .419
    League average in 2013 - .255 / .413

    Deduno may not be a pure strikeout pitcher but he's legitimately tough to hit, and that's been true everywhere -- minors/majors/whatever. He might pitch to contact when he's not issuing walks but he doesn't pitch to hard contact. In contrast to the current suspects, that intrigues me. I also suspect he'll be above his career K-rate this year if he keeps throwing the way he has been.
    Career innings pitched:

    Worley - 322.2
    Deduno - 84.2
    Correia - 1123.2
    Pelfrey - 936.2

    I don't really have a problem with anyone being excited for Deduno. The argument that he was a better choice than Gibson doesn't make sense to me. And I do realize that Gibson's hasn't thrown an inning yet. Personally, I'd rather watch Gibson pitch on Friday.
    Last edited by Brad Swanson; 05-22-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: trying to sound like less of a jag
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    115
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Gibson will get Pelfrey's spot
    Walters should get Worley's spot. Albers should be the 6th starter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.