Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Sooooo.... Capps

  1. #1
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    156
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Sooooo.... Capps

    Haven't seen a lot of chatter about Capps this spring and how abysmal he's been performing. I know it's spring but I thought the twins signed this guy because they believed that last year was a fluke. It's looking like he's just continuing the same performance. Guy has a near 6 era over 11 innings (a fair Sample for a closer IMO) 14 h 4 hr and a 307 opponent avg. are we really gonna trust this guy for the whole season. I really hope they don't just keep him in there because of his contract if he doesn't improve.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by asmus_ndsu View Post
    Haven't seen a lot of chatter about Capps this spring and how abysmal he's been performing. I know it's spring but I thought the twins signed this guy because they believed that last year was a fluke. It's looking like he's just continuing the same performance. Guy has a near 6 era over 11 innings (a fair Sample for a closer IMO) 14 h 4 hr and a 307 opponent avg. are we really gonna trust this guy for the whole season. I really hope they don't just keep him in there because of his contract if he doesn't improve.
    I've never liked Capps. He's going to be terrible (again.)
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,215
    Like
    14
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    My best hope is that he has the luck of the small sample size by the all star break and the illusion generates trade interest. Contenders are always looking for bullpen help. With astounding luck, maybe we can sucker someone into giving up a Wilson Ramos level prospect. Ok... I guess the last part is unreasonable.

  4. #4
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,621
    Like
    5
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    292
    Hard to make much out of a 11-inning sample, especially in spring training, but Capps has 4 HR allowed and only 5 strikeouts. That's a little scary in light of last year.

  5. #5
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Definitely alarming, although as others have said, spring training is different... The hope is that when he hits the mound with the adrenaline of the regular season and save situations, he'll step up. We all know he's going to make things interesting frequently... the hope is that he'll record three outs before giving up leads. (I'm not confident in him either, but we shall see)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The hope is that when he hits the mound with the adrenaline of the regular season and save situations, he'll step up.
    So professional athletes can simply will themselves to be better when they need to be? Like turning on a switch, eh? "I don't need to be very good today, but tomorrow, hoo boy!"
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  7. #7
    At the beginning of spring training there were a lot of articles about how the team appreciated Matt's willingness to pitch last year despite the fact that he was hurting, about how he hasn't run away and about how he wants to redeem himself in the eyes of the local fan base that got use to booing him off the field last year. Since then however most media members have quietly avoided the subject of Matt Capps as he has done nothing during spring training to quell the notion that last year was an anomaly except for a few quick references to a so called new pitch (split-finger fastball apparently). So far this spring Capps as nearly as many homeruns allowed (4) as strikeouts (5). Certainly cause for concern no matter how "meaningless" spring stats are. You'd think at some point as a professional he'd simply take a step back and realize that he should stick to eating meat and not serving it up to opposing hitters. If his fastball and slider remain flat, and his new found split-finger turns out to be a mere floater pitch... buckle up.
    Last edited by caseintheface; 04-02-2012 at 07:16 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,782
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    There has been a lot of talk about Capps developing a split finger FB this Spring and he admitted that it was not quite there. Maybe he was tossing few of those in the HRs. ST numbers are fairly meaningless for established pitchers who do not have to face competition.
    Let's see how he does a week into the season...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    On the "30 teams in 30 days" special, the MLB network dude said he showed Capps how to throw a splitter "the right way" or something like that

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    563
    Like
    13
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    This was written in Spring Training before Capps's 2010 42 Save Season, Sound familiar?
    He ended up having a very good year.

    Matt Capps's rough spring and morning links


    Each time Matt Capps seemed poised to let his pitching announce him ready for the season and the Nationals' closer role, along came an outing like yesterday. He allowed three runs on three hits and two walks in one inning. In 10 2/3 innings, Capps has allowed 10 runs, 16 hits and seven walks. Whenever the struggles seemed to be left behind, they came back.
    "I felt great," Capps said yesterday. "It was a mechanical thing. I couldn't make that adjustment when I was out there, for whatever reason. Really, the last four or five times out I feel I've gotten where I wanted to get. Today was just a mechanical thing. As far as being ready for the season, I feel like I'm there."
    The Nationals play twice more in Florida and once at Nationals Park before the regular season begins April 5. Capps says he feels physically ready, but he hasn't strung together many outings in which he's been able to keep the ball out of the fat part of the strike zone.
    "I think he's as prepared as he can be," Manager Jim Riggleman said. "He didn't get the ball down today. He threw the ball in the wheelhouse to some really good hitters, and they made him pay for it. His velocity has picked up. He seems to be throwing the ball very well. Major league hitters are going to make you pay if it's in that thigh to belt range.
    In the dead-tree edition, you can read about the steadiness Josh Willingham brings to the Nationals. Elsewhere, Nyjer Morgan answered questions from fans. Tom Verducci is looking forward to watching the Nationals draft and Stephen Strasburg pitch. With the year's opening series four days away, you can catch up on the Phillies here.

    By Adam Kilgore | April 1, 2010; 9:40 AM ET
    Last edited by Highabove; 04-02-2012 at 09:44 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by caseintheface View Post
    So far this spring Capps as nearly as many homeruns allowed (4) as strikeouts (5). Certainly cause for concern no matter how "meaningless" spring stats are. You'd think at some point as a professional he'd simply take a step back and realize that he should stick to eating meat and not serving it up to opposing hitters. If his fastball and slider remain flat, and his new found split-finger turns out to be a mere floater pitch... buckle up.
    Great first post. Welcome to Twins Talk.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    So professional athletes can simply will themselves to be better when they need to be? Like turning on a switch, eh? "I don't need to be very good today, but tomorrow, hoo boy!"
    That's the theory... And that's the theory we are going to have to go with and hope for with Capps!!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    There has been a lot of talk about Capps developing a split finger FB this Spring and he admitted that it was not quite there. Maybe he was tossing few of those in the HRs.
    It would be interesting to find out who hit the HRs off Capps. Ah, here we are:

    Mar 9 Rafael Furcal (averages 1 HR per 55 ABs)
    Mar 22 Chris Davis (averages 1 HR per 23 ABs)
    Mar 31 Michael McKenry (2 HRs in 188 ML ABs; avg. 1 HR per 32 ABs in minors)
    Apr 2 Cody Rogers (0 ML ABs; avg. 1 HR per 32 ABs in minors)

    Yep, take away Davis and those are scary-ass power hitters that Capps couldn't get out.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  14. #14
    Junior Member Rookie 81Exposruledbaseball's Avatar
    Posts
    6
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Cat Naps

    IF the Twin's are gonna contend this year, and that's a BIG IF, we need a new closer. Mark it down...BS today, "bye" the way.

  15. #15
    closers are overrated.

  16. #16
    Banned Single-A
    Posts
    97
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would be interested to see the data on the pitches, if it was the split finger he is trying to develop I wouldn't be super concerned, if it was a 89 MPH fastball down the middle of the plate, it could be a looonnng year.

  17. #17
    I tend to agree that spring training stats aren't typically meaningful. However, it seems obvious that Capps problems last year were too many HRs allowed and too few strikeouts. The numbers this spring seem to confirm those same traits. For the record, I think closers are often overrated, but only if you are willing to run a league average reliever out in the bottom of the ninth. If you are constantly sending a worse than average, or replacement level pitcher out then all bets are off. The game is somewhat close and you can't give up a run or two every other time out there and be effective.

    All of you that think Terry Ryan is the savior and can walk on water, just remember that his first act upon retaking control was to re-sign Capps at an above market rate. Was there really another major league team that was going to offer Capps 4 Million + an option this year? I think he would have been lucky to get 2.5million from any other team, especially when you see the way the market for relievers played out. It was a terrible move, especially when you consider the Twins were cutting payroll. FWIW, I think Ryan is a decent GM, I just don't think his track record is as great as everyone seems to remember. I think there were a couple of times during his first tenure when the team was just a player away from winning it all and he steadfastly refused to pull the trigger, it seemed like we were always player for the future. I wonder what happens this year if the Twins are a game back at the deadline and they are selling out every game, so ownership tells him he can spend some $. Is he willing to deal someone like Benson or Hicks to land the Ace SP we need? I'm talking a true ace, not someone like Capps. I doubt it.

  18. #18
    Member Single-A dave_dw's Avatar
    Posts
    73
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by It's The Trees. View Post
    closers are overrated.
    Speak the truth, brotha!

    Last year's best closer Craig Kimbrel lead all relievers in WAR with 3.2. There were a total of 109 starters/hitters that had a higher WAR than he did. In other words, the best relief pitcher last year was easier to replace than over 100 starters/hitters.

    It doesn't take a great pitcher to be a closer. Having Capps close (even if it's mediocrely) is great for the Twins because it means that our best reliever, Perkins, can pitch in the higher pressure situations in the 6th-8th innings, and should be able to throw more innings on the season.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,394
    Like
    160
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I tend to agree that spring training stats aren't typically meaningful. However, it seems obvious that Capps problems last year were too many HRs allowed and too few strikeouts. The numbers this spring seem to confirm those same traits. For the record, I think closers are often overrated, but only if you are willing to run a league average reliever out in the bottom of the ninth. If you are constantly sending a worse than average, or replacement level pitcher out then all bets are off. The game is somewhat close and you can't give up a run or two every other time out there and be effective.

    All of you that think Terry Ryan is the savior and can walk on water, just remember that his first act upon retaking control was to re-sign Capps at an above market rate. Was there really another major league team that was going to offer Capps 4 Million + an option this year? I think he would have been lucky to get 2.5million from any other team, especially when you see the way the market for relievers played out. It was a terrible move, especially when you consider the Twins were cutting payroll. FWIW, I think Ryan is a decent GM, I just don't think his track record is as great as everyone seems to remember. I think there were a couple of times during his first tenure when the team was just a player away from winning it all and he steadfastly refused to pull the trigger, it seemed like we were always player for the future. I wonder what happens this year if the Twins are a game back at the deadline and they are selling out every game, so ownership tells him he can spend some $. Is he willing to deal someone like Benson or Hicks to land the Ace SP we need? I'm talking a true ace, not someone like Capps. I doubt it.
    Other than the Twins talking points, I don't know anyone who sung the praises of that signing... especially since we lost a high draft pick in the process. For what was paid, we could have picked up two pretty decent relievers and left an open competition for the closers role.

    As for the deadline, I'm not sure if we will be buyers or sellers, so I think that's largely moot. Given the state of the farm system, I don't think I'd be willing to trade Benson or Hicks. I'd be open to dealing an DB Romero/Angel Morales if they were to break out, but no one would want just that. They'd ask for Sano and Arcia. The Twins would be better off getting in a bidding war for the ace than to trade unless someone is having a firesale and parts with one cheaply.

  20. #20
    Capps will be alright this year. Not great, but decent. ERA in the low 4s, WHIP around 1.3. Serviceable for a team I expect to win around half of its games.

    And have you seen Nathan's spring numbers? Ouch. I think come July we'll all be very glad that Joe decided to walk.
    "I prayed more in the Dome than I ever did in church." - Craig Finn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.