Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft Question: Who would disappoint you at #4?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts

Draft Question: Who would disappoint you at #4?

There has been a ton of great draft discussion on the forums from whom you want the Twins to take to best case scenarios to BPA vs Need. My question for you forum going people is this:

Out of the players the Twins have been linked to at #4, who would disappoint you the most?

Names they have been linked to are:
    Gray, Appel, Bryant, Frazier, Stewart, Moran, Manaea, McGuire, and Meadows.

Personally, talent wise McGuire is a step behind everyone else, but if the Twins took him it would be on an under slot deal which you figure they would use on several other players. To me it isn't ideal but depending on who they got later I could be fine with it. The name that would really disappoint me is Moran. I don't think he sticks at 3b, which would mean he plays 1st, where his power won't play. Possible James Loney clone at 4= major disappointment.

If we don't get one of Frazier, Meadows, Stewart, or Bryant I would be disappointed.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends on who's left. If Manaea is there, I'd be disappointed if they didn't take him. Ditto Bryant. I figure one or the other will be there. In other words, I'd be disappointed if they took anybody but Meneae or Bryant.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
    If we don't get one of Frazier, Meadows, Stewart, or Bryant I would be disappointed.
    Assuming Appel and Grey are gone of course.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I prefer someone from this list:

Appel, Gray
    Stewart, Bryant

though I could live with:
    Manaea
    Shipley

So, ya, if it is Moran or McGuire, that would really annoy me. A Lot.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post

Appel, Gray
    Stewart, Bryant

Manaea
    Shipley

This.

Senior Member All-Star

Appel, Gray
    Stewart, Bryant

Manaea
    Shipley

Where are if they drafted one of the OFers? Below live with and above really annoyed? I ask because I'm pretty high on Frazier but I have started to sour on Meadows. I don't know if I would be disappointed but I wouldn't be happy.

Also, Shipley is a good name to throw out there. While I haven't read the Twins linked to him you know they have scouted him. He is pretty similar to Zimmer last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Assuming Appel and Grey are gone of course.
    I think Twins fans would burn down Target field if the Twins didn't draft Appel or Gray if they were available. Outside of an injury there is no way they fall to us.

Senior Member All-Star
    I just want a pitcher, or the best bat in the draft. I think there will be enough pitchers that I'd rather have them than Frazier or Meadows. I just don't see a play there.

heck, if Bryant can stay at 3rd.....you can move Sano to right, and you are set. I will be disspointed, probably really annoyed, if they pick Frazier, and Meadows I want no part of right now.

But, this is all based on what a guy can read on the interwebs......I'm not scout/draft genius.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gray, Appel, Bryant, Frazier, Stewart, Moran, Manaea, McGuire, and Meadows.
    By itself, I'll be happy with those names except McGuire or Moran. I would NOT be shocked if this board is goin ballistic the day after the first round as the Twins save money on that pick in the hope of padding later picks. I wonder what thy would need to get in later rounds to justify it in our minds.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    By itself, I'll be happy with those names except McGuire or Moran. I would NOT be shocked if this board is goin ballistic the day after the first round as the Twins save money on that pick in the hope of padding later picks. I wonder what thy would need to get in later rounds to justify it in our minds.

I am pretty sure some of us* would rip Ryan for being more concerned about budgets than getting elite talent here.

*by some of us, I'm pretty sure I would.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    I just want a pitcher, or the best bat in the draft. I think there will be enough pitchers that I'd rather have them than Frazier or Meadows. I just don't see a play there.

heck, if Bryant can stay at 3rd.....you can move Sano to right, and you are set. I will be disspointed, probably really annoyed, if they pick Frazier, and Meadows I want no part of right now.

But, this is all based on what a guy can read on the interwebs......I'm not scout/draft genius.
    Haha, none of us are scout geniuses. If we were we would be working for a team! The way I look at this question isn't as much scout driven as fan driven. There have been plenty of picks that looked great at the time but failed later and visa versa. We won't know for years but you will know personally how you feel after you see/read who they took.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    This is also a great question. Matt Garrioch over at minorleagueball posted an article about guys with sign ability issues. Link below:

2013 MLB Draft: Players With Signability Questions - Minor League Ball

Honestly, looking at the list I can't find 2 names to go with McGuire's that gets me too excited. Maybe a McGuire, Serrano, Boldt combo would be ok but that's a lot of HS guys.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My mock:

Appel
    Gray
    Bryant
    Manaea
    Who cares

If they pass on Manaea, I will be very put out.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    My mock:

Appel
    Gray
    Bryant
    Manaea
    Who cares

If they pass on Manaea, I will be very put out.
    From what I have read they have been linked to Stewart and Frazier more than anyone not named Gray/Appel/Bryant. Things can change between now and then but you have a very small list!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I think Twins fans would burn down Target field if the Twins didn't draft Appel or Gray if they were available. Outside of an injury there is no way they fall to us.
    One possible way. Houston goes underslot and takes someone like Stewart (who makes some sense. Risky guy but young and grows with Correa and they save money) b/c Gray has a few bad outings going into the draft. Cubs take Appel and Rockies remain in love with Bryant. Leaving the Twins with Gray.

Not likely but a possible way, outside of injury.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    One possible way. Houston goes underslot and takes someone like Stewart (who makes some sense. Risky guy but young and grows with Correa and they save money) b/c Gray has a few bad outings going into the draft. Cubs take Appel and Rockies remain in love with Bryant. Leaving the Twins with Gray.

Not likely but a possible way, outside of injury.
    That's a lot of ifs!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If we draft Meadows or Frazier I'll be extremely disappointed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    If we draft Meadows or Frazier I'll be extremely disappointed.
    This, although Frazier's uniqueness has grown on me as of late. Damn YouTube!

Unlike a lot of posters, I am out on Manaea as a top-5 pick. I think both his peripherals and results have been underwhelming this season. So I'd be disappointed if the Twins take him or Meadows (has a great-talent/doesn't-love-the-game guy ever worked out?) I'd also probably be disappointed with the McGuire scenario primarily because I just don't know enough about the prospects outside the first round that they'd presumably spend the saved bonus pool money on.

I am riding the Stewart train if the first three go as expected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast