Thread: Article: Doumit demonstrating patience

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Doumit demonstrating patience

@OverTheBaggy

Interesting analysis Parker. I for one would like to see the walk rates for all (some?) of the current Twins as a follow-up post if you get a chance. Maybe even some historically significant walk rates of past HOFers or past Twins. Thanks!

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 310 Times in 185 Posts
    Blog Entries
    from the sounds of it, he's trending in the right direction.. not quite sure it would go to this extreme, but to see a slight uptick to league average or a bit better doesn't seem unreasonable.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    It might be a bit more common. In his age 26 season, Torii Hunter had a 5.5% walk rate for his career and a K rate of 19.4%. Since his age 27 season, he's increased his walk rate to over 8% and lowered his krate to about 17%. Morneau, after his MVP season, showed even more increased plate discipline. Admittedly, neither was over 30 when they had their breakthrough but both had about 2000 PA in the majors by that time, about what Doumit has now.

Blog Entries
    It might be a bit more common.
    I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen. In younger players like Hunter and Morneau, they were just developing these skills in their prime seasons and this is something you see routinely from players who are acclimating to the league. Both basically reached the point where they were matching their minor league walk rates. Doumit, as you mentioned, is entering his age-31 season. I don't envision a leap forward for him in the walk department but even a climb to 7-8% is not out of the question.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    > or made a concerted effort to improve his discipline

I am a big fat loser.

(If Parker can silently update his posting to make my reply look incomprehensible in retrospect, so can I, except for the silent part I guess.)
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 04-03-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    > or made a conceited effort to improve his discipline

Gardy will not put up with clubhouse cancers.
    Maybe as long as they have "
    a modern level of pop" he will. Antique levels of pop are not enough.

Good read, I like to hear about what the newcomers on the team might bring to the table.

I think what it comes down to is can the hitter adjust to the pitching. If a batter takes more pitches, the pitcher will then try to locate the ball in the strike zone more. The key is the hitter should no how to work the caught.

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping Doumit's defense is as good as the team braintrust is apparently counting on him to be, and that his offense is strong with a full season of wear and tear.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 04-03-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ha. Thank you for pointing out the errors in the piece. You are a big fat winner in my book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Ha. Thank you for pointing out the errors in the piece. You are a big fat winner in my book.
    You had me at "big fat".