Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Business of Baseball: Gibson, Hicks, Arcia

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Using an example from tonight. I knew Rick Porcello was young. I went through his numbers tonight and I didn't realize that he was in the Tigers rotation all year for Detroit at the age of 20- this after just one minor league year in A+ ball. He hasn't had a great career, but here now in his 5th year at only age 24, he'd clearly be the #2 SP on the Twins; but.....; if he had been drafted by the Twins, does anybody think he would be a 5 year veteran of the Twins rotation?
    I think Porcello can also be the counterexample to rushing players. He is not exactly lighting it up this year (or all that much in previous years) and he had a strong reputation when he was drafted. If Detroit had spent the time developing him he might be a much better pitcher, but since he is already 5 years in that almost certainly won't happen in Detroit.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I think Porcello can also be the counterexample to rushing players. He is not exactly lighting it up this year (or all that much in previous years) and he had a strong reputation when he was drafted. If Detroit had spent the time developing him he might be a much better pitcher, but since he is already 5 years in that almost certainly won't happen in Detroit.
    Jeremy Bonderman part II

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789