Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: New Britain Rock Cats Opening Day Roster

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

New Britain Rock Cats Opening Day Roster

NEW BRITAIN ROCK CATS
    Manager: Jeff Smith… Hitting Coach: Rudy Hernandez… Pitching Coach: Stu Cliburn

Pitchers: Andrew Albers, David Bromberg, Logan Darnell, Luke French, Deolis Guerra, Steve Hirschfeld, Brett Jacobson, Bobby Lanigan, Blake Martin, Lester Oliveros, Luis Perdomo, Daniel Turpen, Alex Wimmers

Catchers: Chris Herrmann, Danny Lehmann

Infielders: Chris Colabello, Nate Hanson, Estarlin De Los Santos, Darin Mastroianni, James Beresford, Pedro Florimon, Deibinson Romero

Outfield: Evan Bigley, Mark Dolenc, Aaron Hicks

SUMMARY THOUGHTS:
    There are several arms in New Britain that many of us assumed would be in Rochester, but that bodes well for the Rock Cats and for the development of these players. There is some surprise that Alex Wimmers is set to start the season with the Rock Cats. That means he must be throwing well, and most important, throwing strikes. Darnell and Lanigan will likely remain in the Rock Cats rotation. Jacobson, Hirschfeld, Albers (last year’s SethSpeaks.net Minor League Reliever of the Year) and Bromberg all could split time between the rotation and the bullpen. Chris Herrmann impressed in 2011, played great in the AFL, and showed well for himself in 2012 big league camp. Lehmann deserves more of an opportunity and is in the same category as the three AAA pitchers. The infield should be strong. Beresford and Florimon perform a great up-the-middle defense while de Los Santos comes back healthy. Colabello was Baseball America’s independent leagues player of the year last year, and Hanson just continues to progress well as he moves up. Romero had a solid comeback year last year with the Rock Cats showing some of the power that made the Twins put him on their 40 man roster three years ago. Mastroianni has played pretty exclusively at 2B since leaving big league camp, but he’ll likely also get time in the outfield behind a very talented starting three. Obviously it is a big league for Hicks in the eyes of prospect hounds, but it will be a challenge.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    . Mastroianni has played pretty exclusively at 2B since leaving big league camp, .
    This actually is not accurate. After leaving the MLB camp, Mastroianni went with the Rochester players and played CF. Nishioka (when on the field) was the 2B. Even when he moved to the New Britain group, he mostly played Center Field at least until last Thursday (Tuesday he was still with the Rochester Group). Maybe he played 2B after Thursday, but last Thursday against the Red Sox' AA group he was the Rock Cats' starting CF.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    To me, it looks like the pitching staff will be ok, but I'm not sure the offense is going to be that productive. Other than Hicks, it doesn't seem to feature many real high-upside type guys. I hope some of our younger guys continue to play well this year, and we get to see some of the guys in A ball moved up quickly.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is how I look for the Rockcat lineup to look let me know if you agree or disagree
    C- Herrmann
    1b- Hanson
    2b- Beresford
    SS- Florimon
    3b- Romero
    lf- Bigley
    cf- Hicks
    rf- Mastroianni
    Dh- Colabello

1. Mastroianni
    2. Beresford
    3. Hicks
    4. Colabello
    5. Herrmann
    6. Bigley
    7. Hanson
    8. Romero
    9. Florimon

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Seth, As I wrote on Saturday, the more I look at the lineup the more I like it. Hicks is the big prospect guy and if he can come thru, wonderful. But Herrmann is for real and a very good hitter. Don't underestimate Dolenc and Bigley, who both were solid hitters last year and should be even better this year. Mastroianni hit over .300 in the EL two years ago and stole 46 bases. Beresford gets on base a lot because of a good batting average (needs to take more walks) and Colabello could be huge plus. Then there is Romero who keeps coming back after being written off. Not the big names like last year, but very solid lineup that should score a lot of runs.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Seth, As I wrote on Saturday, the more I look at the lineup the more I like it. Hicks is the big prospect guy and if he can come thru, wonderful. But Herrmann is for real and a very good hitter. Don't underestimate Dolenc and Bigley, who both were solid hitters last year and should be even better this year. Mastroianni hit over .300 in the EL two years ago and stole 46 bases. Beresford gets on base a lot because of a good batting average (needs to take more walks) and Colabello could be huge plus. Then there is Romero who keeps coming back after being written off. Not the big names like last year, but very solid lineup that should score a lot of runs.
    Mark Dolenc has .678 OPS in 883 plate appearances in AA. He actually regressed last year. Evan Bigley really regressed last year and has since 2008. And Beresford's bat may not be ready for AA at all. New Britain looks likely to be substantially worse than all of the other Twins affiliates offensively.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    Here is how I look for the Rockcat lineup to look let me know if you agree or disagree
    C- Herrmann
    1b- Hanson
    2b- Beresford
    SS- Florimon
    3b- Romero
    lf- Bigley
    cf- Hicks
    rf- Mastroianni
    Dh- Colabello

1. Mastroianni
    2. Beresford
    3. Hicks
    4. Colabello
    5. Herrmann
    6. Bigley
    7. Hanson
    8. Romero
    9. Florimon
    Last week Romero was heating cleanup, Herrmann 3rd and Hicks like 7th ...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Mark Dolenc has .678 OPS in 883 plate appearances in AA. He actually regressed last year. Evan Bigley really regressed last year and has since 2008. And Beresford's bat may not be ready for AA at all. New Britain looks likely to be substantially worse than all of the other Twins affiliates offensively.
    Thats your opinion. Mine is different. I read the New Britain Herald every morning during the season as well as reviewing every days boxscore. What I gained from that is that both, Bigley and Dolenc, were effective. They consistantly helped the Rock Cats win which is why they are back when so very many big names are no longer in the organization. Will either ever play for the Twins, thats a long shot at best. Doesn't mean they won't be effective in AA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Thats your opinion. Mine is different. I read the New Britain Herald every morning during the season as well as reviewing every days boxscore. What I gained from that is that both, Bigley and Dolenc, were effective. They consistantly helped the Rock Cats win which is why they are back when so very many big names are no longer in the organization. Will either ever play for the Twins, thats a long shot at best. Doesn't mean they won't be effective in AA.
    Fair enough. I didn't say they weren't valuable players. The success of that team last year, offensively at least, had way more to do with Benson, Parmelee, Herrmann, Dozier, and Solarte. I don't see this roster really filling in in the same way. Dolenc is 27 at AA. Bigley still has a shot, but this is his last one. He is puzzling. I know Herrmann will be very good, would bet a lot that Hicks is going to have a great year, and I really like James Beresford. He slugged under .300 last year at Fort Myers, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Last week Romero was heating cleanup, Herrmann 3rd and Hicks like 7th ...
    I have to think the plan is going to be Mastroianni (hopefully more in LF than 2B, making Dolenc the fourth OF), Herrmann(C or LF), and Hicks at the top with their .350+ OBP capability. Romero cleanup, x, y, z, and Florimon and Beresford at the bottom. I would think that, aside from other benefits of making Mastroianni more versatile, his adding 2B to his game is about giving them the option of keeping him in the lineup when Herrmann plays in LF and Lehmann catches.