Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Rochester Red Wings Opening Day Roster

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rochester Red Wings Opening Day Roster

ROCHESTER RED WINGS
    Manager: Gene Glynn… Hitting Coach: Tom Brunansky… Pitching Coach: Bobby Cuellar

Pitchers: Sam Deduno, Cole DeVries, Scott Diamond, Phil Dumatrait, Casey Fien, Kyle Gibson (DL), Carlos Gutierrez, Jeff Manship, Tyler Robertson, Anthony Slama, Brad Thompson (DL), Daryl Thompson, Esmerling Vasquez, PJ Walters, Brendan Wise

Catchers: Drew Butera, Rene Rivera, JR Towles

Infielders: Aaron Bates, Matt Rizzotti, Brian Dinkelman, Brian Dozier, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Ray Chang, Michael Hollimon

Outfield: Joe Benson, Matt Carson, Wilkin Ramirez (DL), Rene Tosoni

SUMMARY THOUGHTS: With Liam Hendriks with the Twins for the time being, who will be the five starters, and what can be expected from them? There are some good bullpen arms, to be sure, though. The catchers can certainly catch, but even in Rochester, they should be hitting ninth. Aaron Bates had a terrific 2011 season with the Red Wings and performed well in big league spring training. Rizzotti could play some 1B but will likely DH a lot. His 24 HR last year (in AA Reading) would have led the Twins organization. Nishioka has been playing well since his demotion early in camp. Chang, Hollimon and Dinkelman all played well in big league camp and profile as utility types. Dozier is the guy that is exciting. He was the Twins minor league player of the year last year, and had a terrific camp with the Twins. If there is a need with the big league club in the middle infield, they will not hesitate to promote the 24 year old.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    opening day lineup for rochester if you ask me is let me know if anyone disagrees
    C- Butera
    1b- Bates
    2b- Nishioka
    SS- Dozier
    3b- Holliman
    LF- Tosoni
    CF- Benson
    RF- Carson
    DH- Rizzotti

1. Dozier
    2. Nishioka
    3. Benson
    4. Rizzotti
    5. Carson
    6. Tosoni
    7. Bates
    8. Holliman
    9. Butera

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    opening day lineup for rochester if you ask me is let me know if anyone disagrees
    C- Butera
    1b- Bates
    2b- Nishioka
    SS- Dozier
    3b- Holliman
    LF- Tosoni
    CF- Benson
    RF- Carson
    DH- Rizzotti

1. Dozier
    2. Nishioka
    3. Benson
    4. Rizzotti
    5. Carson
    6. Tosoni
    7. Bates
    8. Holliman
    9. Butera
    I think Dinkelman over Carson and Towles over Butera. Bates has been hitting 3rd in Rochester ST games and I do not see him drop that much. Rizzotti has played only 30 AAA games (two seasons ago) and he will probably start lower in the order (like 7th)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those that are wondering there will still be some tinkering with the roster as this roster still has 26 guys on it. Two guys likely will be DL'ed by the opener on Thursday.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rizzotti has tremendous power that is why i have him hitting 4th. Carson has a good track record thats why i have him starting, but regardless Dinkelman is going to play a ton. Towles, Butera, and Rivera are interchangeable and each will play about the equal amount. The Reason I gave Butera the opening day start is just senority after spending the last 2 years with the Twins not that he will be the unquestioned starter for the Red Wings.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Seth, I really like this roster and am hopeful that the 2012 Red Wings make a run for a playoff spot. One big question is whether or not Hendriks comes back down in a couple weeks. If he does it will be huge. But I got a feeling Mr. Ryan is right when he talked about giving Hendriks the ball and he may not give it back. What do the Twins do if Hendriks pitches so well they have to keep him?

Will we see that starting middle infield for the Twins this season? and if we do, will it be because of injuries or because of performance, either good performance from AAA or bad performance from Casilla, Carroll and Hughes (and maybe Plouffe)?

GO TWINS!

Robb
    TwinsTakes.com
    Our Takes, Your Takes, TwinsTakes

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I definately think at some point this year we will see Brian Dozier up with the Twins whether its because of bad performance or injury. The great thing about Dozier is he can play either position, but with Twins he will more than likely play SS with either Carroll or Casilla at 2nd. Nishioka on the other hand I think they are going to try to be more careful with. His confidence level is at zero right now so they are trying to rebuild him. Therefore I don't expect to see him in Minnesota barring injury until September as it is more important for them to turn him into the player they saw in Japan then the one that Twins fans saw last year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 351 Posts
    Dozier and Benson should be nice players for them that have legit MLB futures. I'm not in love with many of the rest, but I think there are guys that will definitely get cups of coffee and likely contribute a little to a MLB team at some point. The starting pitching still leaves a lot to be desired, in terms of MLB potential, but is should be better than what they've had in AAA lately, I hope. Rizotti should be a nice addition at DH, I like that acquisition for the minors, and potentially as a bench bat some day in the majors.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is the current starting five, indeed? Diamond, DeVries, Manship, Walters, and Deduno?

I like a batting order along these lines:

Dozier
    Nishioka
    Bates
    Benson
    Tosoni
    Rizzotti
    Carson
    Towles
    Chang

With Hollimon and Dinkelman getting ample time due to their versatility.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    What is the current starting five, indeed? Diamond, DeVries, Manship, Walters, and Deduno?
    A great question. As I wrote, without Hendriks, it's scary. Aside from probably Diamond and Walters, I don't know. Manship and DeVries can start... I've heard Deduno as a starting candidate. I'd probably guess Daryl Thompson will start at least at the start of the season.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    According to Manager Gene Glynn, the Rochester starting rotation will include PJ Walters, Scott Diamond, Daryl Thompson, Cole DeVries and Sam Deduno.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    What happened to Mastroianni? I thought he'd be on this roster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    What happened to Mastroianni? I thought he'd be on this roster.
    Down in AA. The Twins have so many AAA players that some (actually some of the better marginal prospects) are down in AA to get more playing time (Mastroianni, Florimon, and Oliveros are three that come to mind).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    According to Manager Gene Glynn, the Rochester starting rotation will include PJ Walters, Scott Diamond, Daryl Thompson, Cole DeVries and Sam Deduno.
    Thanks for clearing that up. A few months ago I would have thought this rotation was going to be really strong.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,183 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Down in AA. The Twins have so many AAA players that some (actually some of the better marginal prospects) are down in AA to get more playing time (Mastroianni, Florimon, and Oliveros are three that come to mind).
    I have the impression that Mastro is down there to learn to play second, it being sold to him as his best route to the majors.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just read the press release from the Red Wings on their roster and there is no Phil Dumatrait listed on their roster so I am curious if he got released or what. Any info would be appreciated.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Dumatrait and Brad Thompson are on the DL.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting to see Sam Deduno and Cole DeVries starting. I suspect when Liam Hendriks returns Sam Deduno will go to the pen and when Aaron Thompson fulfills his 50-day suspension (if still in the organiation) will replace DeVries.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    by my math I have Kyle Gibson, Wilkin Ramirez, Brad Thompson, and Phil Dumatrait on DL with Aaron Thompson on restricted list